Avro 674 Audax, Royal Egipt AF, 1942-3, 1/72 (conv. )

Hi,

I've just finished this model. This is first one done of mine project of Hawker Hart family "mass prduction". I am doing more or less in paralel five of them: presented now Avro 674, Persian Audax with Bristol engine, Hector from 1940, Hartbeeste of SAAF from East Africa and Hart trainer likely from Habbaniya). I was intending to do complete documentation and present it in Work in Progress - but it slow me down too much so it is just very general. If somone would like to see something on inside etc. - It is here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978861-hawker-hart-family-mass-production-172/?hl=%2Bhart+%2Bfamily.

Avro 674 was a licence build in Avro Hawker Audax with AW Pather VI engine and Fairey propeller.

This is a scratch conversion. The "donor" kit is basicly Hart B4 by AZ. However I was doing some crosskiting (lower wings, bombs, bottom hatch are from AZ/Amodel kit).... - moreover I am doing this FIVE models having just FOUR kits - so some parts are copied in resin. In this Avro 674 undercaridge construction and tailwheeli are from resin. Rigings by EZ (I start to really like this material!). Markings are from Royal Egipt AF, 4 Squadron (bomber), 1942, Dark Earth/Light Earth with Light Blue undersurface (Humbrol 29/ Humbrol 26 with dash of 64, Polish Aster 314, wethering by dry brush Humbrol 93). Decals Esci (National Markings), numbers from drawer. This painting scheme was presented in different sources, with small differencies between - for example Audax Profile Publication, A. Crawford's "Hawker Hart Family" and Kora resin model. I rather followed profile from A.Crawford book with small change - wheel hubs alu dope note white (it seemed to me this way from photo...)

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

hart a674 DSC04925hart a674 DSC04924hart a674 DSC04923hart a674 DSC04922hart a674 DSC04920hart a674 DSC04919hart a674 DSC04918hart a674 DSC04917hart a64 DSC04921

hart a674 DSC04926

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 16

Nicely done: they do make a lovely set of variations on a model theme don't they?

If I may make a couple of points? Historically, Avro was part of the Hawker Siddeley Group so there was no need of a licence as such - they just did as they were told. HSG spread the production orders a round to ensue all their sites were kept in business. Later on, Avro were going to be the prime contractor on the Tornado (1940 one) but I've not seen any suggestion that they were going to claim it as the Avro Tornado - I bet it did have an Avro type number though. I wonder if the Victor did?

I also feel that an aircraft showing so much wear on the metal parts would also have a dirty underside from leaking oil - all engines of that period leaked badly. There'd be also dust blown up by the prop and wheels. You've put some exhaust stains under the wing but this might well drift back as far as the tailplane too. This could be considered as gilding the lily.

• Like 1

Thank you Graham for your comment and suggestion - I have to study some photos to get idea how the dirt comes on bottom part of linien covered machine... Then I will improve it :). Thank you also for clarify the relationship between Avro and Hawker - I did not known it.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Excellent work, J-W! I have the very same idea to replicate the Hart family and I have done quite a bit of work on some kits (Airfix, Amodel, AZ, Kora, etc.), but sadly, I haven't finished any (a common problem with my modelling ideas!). I have the Kora kit of this version of the Audax - it's nice to see how good the Egyptian Audax looks when built up.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Thank you very much Houston, Beard and Jason for comments :)

How are the other three coming on?

Even four... - the most advanced is another radial Audax - the Persian one. This should be here soon :) Then I hope to finish Hector, the Kestrel two in the end.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Thank you very much Houston, Beard and Jason for comments :)

Even four... - the most advanced is another radial Audax - the Persian one. This should be here soon :) Then I hope to finish Hector, the Kestrel two in the end.

Cheers

J-W

I look forward to seeing them.

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!

As have seen the other build you have done, a wonderful piece of history very well done. i liked a huge lot the way you do the weathering in this kind of planes as in the japanese collection you have, without a doubt, a true masterwork in its own.

I have always avoided the biplanes by the riggings, but looking at yours, maybe one day start one and try the way you do it.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1