Interesting Photo

mhaselden

Found this photo on the website of the Polish Aviation Museum. It shows the wreckage of a Halifax in the foreground with a Do17 in the right background and a light-toned airframe that seems to wear Type B RAF roundels in the left background. I was wondering if anyone had the background story to the image, including identifying the "RAF" airframe in the background.

Many thanks,
Mark

Maybe it's just me due to having AdBlockPlus and Noscript etc running but i don't see the specific photo you mention, just a gallery of images

I think i found the one you refer to, it's no 99 of 111

Edited by smackers

Agree it looks P-40ish but the scheme appears similar to the Hi altitude scheme some Spits in the MTO wore. More likely a P-40 in faded desert camo with C-type roundels & fin flash that the exposure/resolution has managed to lose the narrow white & yellow bands. I'm guessing an airfield in Italy after a landing accident or Luftwaffe raid which involved the Halifax. The Dornier probably a "left behind"

Steve.

Going by the relation of the tailplane to the fin, it seems more likely to be a long tailed P-40. On the short tails, the leading edges of the two were more or less in line. Agree about the canopy and therefore late mark, which presumably would make it a Kittyhawk IV?

J.

• Like 1

It looks like a long tailed P-40N Kittyhawk Mk.IV to me with two others behind it (although I thought that they were a Merlin engined Beaufighter Mk.II at first!) but although the two behind wear standard colours the light coloured one does appear to wear a light high altitude style scheme with B Type fuselage roundels and fin stripes,.....so very interesting for a Kittyhawk! Could it even be a PR conversion,......strang as the Packard engine was rubbish at altitude and as far as I know the Merlin engined Mk.II didn`t have the cut down rear canopy! Graham could well be right about it being a silver stripped down `hack' but that doesn`t really explain the roundel/fin flash combination nor the fact that this was a relatively new aircraft.

Some Spitfire`s wore B Type roundels and fin flashes in Italy at some stage including those of 249 Sqn, so maybe there is a reason for the `strange' roundels? Possibly part of the` NW Africa Coastal AF' ?

There are some great Halifax and Liberator photos on this site so thanks for the heads up Mark,

Cheers

Tony

it even be a PR conversion,......strang as the Packard engine was rubbish at altitude

Tony

Allison rather than Packard, but yes. With no supporting evidence (!) I'd be tempted to agree with Graham about the possibility of US colours. Perhaps a 'loaner' of some sort?

Edited by JasonC

Allison rather than Packard, but yes. With no supporting evidence (!) I'd be tempted to agree with Graham about the possibility of US colours. Perhaps a 'loaner' of some sort?

Sorry Jason,...yes you are of course right,......Allison engine it is,.....fancy getting that wrong when my missus is called Alison,....dohh!!

Cheers

Tony

Definitly it is P-40 N - for me it is stripped to NMF. The airfield is likely Campo Casale near Brindisi, where other photos were taken, likely summer or autumn 1944 when flights in help to fighting Warsaw were taken - if it might help. O was googling for Halifax accident there but not successful as yet. I only found "in addition one Halifax (of RAF not Polish Squadron) crashed during landing, all crew survived" - but no more details except the date - 4th August 1944. So very likely this photo was taken on 4th August 1944.

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1