RAF Binbrook, 1970s, Q- Area Building Diorama and Desk Lamp

Thats the beauty of making things out of scrap card - Need another angle beam? Cut up another cereal box! Great work so far results though.

I did try and start off that way, but I don't have the talent and skill that you have!

Seeing as the LHS still hasn't got the angle beams I need, I've been messing around with some smaller details today.

Firstly, I've been experimenting with some bits to populate the servicing areas of the shed. A few drip trays, they need sanding and tidying up, but I'm pretty pleased with how they look:

IMG_4831_zpsqks1vkao.jpg

Pallets:

IMG_4830_zpsdta5qan6.jpg

IMG_4828_zpsed0zb8sq.jpg

Thanks to Tweeky, who it transpires actually worked on Q at Binbrook, the front of the crew quarters is now more accurate. The crew quarters roof is now ready for painting and drainpipes/guttering.

IMG_4808_zpsqq6roh8u.jpg

I know the sheds did have some barbed wire around them so I'm thinking about replicating this. I'd still like to include the Land Rover, but on the grass instead of a hard standing.

IMG_4827_zps1jjtsuws.jpg

Some lines:

IMG_4810_zpsmchfvdie.jpg

I've started putting together a hand trolley that I've seen in reference picures, here's what it looks like so far:

IMG_4832_zpsjrwrojhf.jpg

IMG_4833_zpsuwpcw6kf.jpg

I recently got the new PJ Productions ground crew set and have started to paint these lads up. This gyus is going to have his back to the front of the diorama as I made a bit of an error when dry-brushing his front...doh!

IMG_4844_zpszctsvvyw.jpg

IMG_4845_zpsrcvrxpgk.jpg

IMG_4849_zpswtzz5tej.jpg

And as it looks at the end of today. Doors are on, roof is cut out but the angle beams are needed to finish it. Ignore the gaps on the roof summit ;)

IMG_4838_zpsqlbhbnux.jpg

IMG_4834_zps66fh7ffa.jpg

Hopefully I can get the green paint on at some point in the next two weeks.

• Like 12

Shed progress has been slow, but I've managed to get some green on it today! It really is starting to come to life now!

IMG_4949_zpsin8hhm54.jpg

IMG_4951_zpsmr5apb2b.jpg

IMG_4956_zpsiqmakd4e.jpg

IMG_4957_zpscjfubcll.jpg

It needs another coat and the roof finishing off. I think I'm going to have to get creative with the weathering. I have no idea what to do!?! Any ideas welcomed!

• Like 8

A quick update today, another step closer to completion. We now have a roof

on Q1 and Q2! It's all glued in place and awaiting a coat of paint.

IMG_5034_zpsitq51uin.jpg

IMG_5038_zpss6dhyulp.jpg

IMG_5040_zpsz6ukhldb.jpg

IMG_5043_zpsmcte3beh.jpg

• Like 5

It's marvellous - although its a pity that the 'concrete' slabs don't seem to want to lay down. Was that just the moisture of the paint?

I think you'd mentioned earlier that you weren't sure what to do with the back walls. It looks fine in black in low lighting levels but quite noticeable when more brightly lit. I wonder if a photograph of the back of the hangar suitably darkened would be better? No idea where you'd get such a thing though and obviously the perspective would only work from a quite limited viewing angle.

A great deal better than anything I could do though, so please take the criticism accordingly. :)

• Like 1

It's marvellous - although its a pity that the 'concrete' slabs don't seem to want to lay down. Was that just the moisture of the paint?

I think you'd mentioned earlier that you weren't sure what to do with the back walls. It looks fine in black in low lighting levels but quite noticeable when more brightly lit. I wonder if a photograph of the back of the hangar suitably darkened would be better? No idea where you'd get such a thing though and obviously the perspective would only work from a quite limited viewing angle.

A great deal better than anything I could do though, so please take the criticism accordingly. :)

Don't worry about it, Kirk, I have no idea what I'm doing so any criticism is good criticism! I did think about the picture (even if it was a photoshop creation). I mocked one up in MS paint, and ran into the problem you described with the perspective being 'right' from only a few select angles. From where it is on my desk, and when the jet is on the diorama it's not as noticeable as it is in the pictures. I think I'll just have to be creative with my lighting and photography when I share pictures ;)

I don't know what to do about the slabs. My next plan is to go round each slab individually with some superglue and flatten them down with something heavy. It's annoying as I tried to avoid the peeling by only putting on light coats of paint (and use glue underneath sparingly) so they didn't get too saturated which didn't work failing that I might peel them off and make some plasticard replacements.

I wonder whether de-saturating and blurring the image (for which I guess you'd need something like Photoshop) would help? I suppose what you're after is something that gives the impression of greater depth without being so sharp as to make the perspective problem leap out at you. You could of course 'just' make the whole thing a bit deeper... :winkgrin:

It would be a shame if you have to abandon the slabs as the texture seems ideal. What's the stuff that artist use to tighten up canvasses? Is it spray mount or am I thinking of something else? Now if you'd made this in 1:24 scale the little undulations would just add character!! :D

Are you still going with the Land Rover?

Kirk

• Like 1

I wondered if I could airbrush some details on the back wall, as you said it only has to give the impression of greater depth. I'd love to make it a lot deeper! I think at some point I'd like to build a full-size shed, but for now I'm limited with space so I guess this one is a bit of a prototype.

Is it spray mount or something? I know what you mean but I can't remember the actual name. I'm hoping my last lot of gluing will sort the curling issue.

I'm not sure about the Landie now. I had a conversation with Tweeky (in the Lightning build thread) who said that there was a car park behind the shed so there would be no reason for a Land Rover to be out front. I know the dio isn't the most accurate, but at the moment it feels like I'm only including it for the sake of it! I'm wanting to do a Harrier in a woodland hide so I might save it for that instead.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the Landie now. I had a conversation with Tweeky (in the Lightning build thread) who said that there was a car park behind the shed so there would be no reason for a Land Rover to be out front. I know the dio isn't the most accurate, but at the moment it feels like I'm only including it for the sake of it! I'm wanting to do a Harrier in a woodland hide so I might save it for that instead.

Fair enough (and I'm looking forward to the next Harrier). Had you come across the Aircraft In Miniature ground vehicles though? GPUs, tow bars, the works. That site could empty a grown man's bank account in seconds.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1

Very nice idea and lovely.....work thus far.....can't wait to see it done up

rgds

Thanks, Mr B!

Fair enough (and I'm looking forward to the next Harrier). Had you come across the Aircraft In Miniature ground vehicles though? GPUs, tow bars, the works. That site could empty a grown man's back account in seconds.

Oh, you shouldn't have done that!! I'd not heard of them before...this could be dangerous for my bank account! I've got a Flightpath diorama set for the tow bars, LOX, ladders and other smaller bits for the shed interiors, but I might have to try some of the Aircraft in Miniature bits for some of the bigger equipment.

• Like 1

Oh sorry! Apologise to Mrs Matt Black for me when you're explaining how much cheaper this multi functional diorama is than smoking...

And as you know, the alternative of buying a few little scraps of plastic stock for pennies (!) would mean that you have less quality time to spend with family.

Not forgetting that this is The Nation's Heritage that you are seeking to preserve in a manageable form for the benefit of your descendants (and, through BM, society at large). Could there be a more altruistic motive?

If built properly, it could also be used to protect and insulate your slippers when you get old.

[That's my full supply of excuses. Use them as you will.]

Kirk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,MattBlack33 - I also love a base or diorama to complete the picture with a model.Your work and subject is absolutely superb and applicable to many aircraft types.Inspirational work indeed.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, guys. There's not much to report on this at the moment, I've been on with other things (including "real life"). One of the big changes is that I've removed the sandpaper concrete slabs and I am in the process of replacing them with plasticard equivalents.

This is what the chap looks like stripped back, and with pre-weathering outer green coat.

IMG_5074_zpsa8bgc2yc.jpg

And a couple pre-strip to whet the appetite:

IMG_5052_zpsfqvrkfn3.jpg

What it might look like with the lights fully working...that canopy needs a wipe!!

IMG_4993_zpsh5xp0t1l.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wondered if I could airbrush some details on the back wall, as you said it only has to give the impression of greater depth. I'd love to make it a lot deeper! I think at some point I'd like to build a full-size shed, but for now I'm limited with space so I guess this one is a bit of a prototype.

Is it spray mount or something? I know what you mean but I can't remember the actual name. I'm hoping my last lot of gluing will sort the curling issue.

There IS a reason for the Landrover being 'out front' and the reason is this: human beings are lazy, and if they can drive somewhere rather than walk, they often will. With a driver sat in it, it could actually be in the process of MOVING though and not parked up. 'Scramble!' er... I can't. There's a Landrover in the way.

I've thought about the problem with trying to create a sense of depth to the sheds... because I faced a similar problem with some buildings in my recent diorama. Unfortunately, there is no way of getting around the fact that your shed is 3D. Even if you created some brilliant (and impossible) piece of artwork which showed the correct perspective from ALL angles, the fact remains that viewed from the outside, your sheds are the size they are. I mean, your brain wouldn't be able to cope with the duality of looking inside a 'small' shed to see something massive. Unless you knew you were looking into the Tardis of course.

However, You CAN hide the back wall. For me, this was easy to do as I had a low ceiling, windows/doors and furniture etc to block the view to the back of the building, so I simply painted the back wall black. But I also cut out a few strips in the wall to let a bit of light in so as to silhouette the internal features.... which made me think...As your diorama is going to double-up as a light source, is it not possible that the lighting itself will 'blind you' to the size and depth of the sheds? If you had spotlights facing out onto the apron as shown in one of the earlier photos, then these would 'dazzle' you and place the sheds and their interiors in 'shadow', even, to a lesser extent, during daylight. Some LEDs possibly?

Edited by Badder