RAF Binbrook, 1970s, Q- Area Building Diorama and Desk Lamp

In that case I'll keep posting them :)

I'm wondering what to do with the back "wall" of the shed. Obviously it's not meant to be there and I don't want it to look too out of place. I had thought about just painting it black, but I've also considered making a scaled-down rear door at the back to simulate perspective. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

David

Thanks Danyel. Apparently they were posters given away in the Sun newspaper in the 60s/70s. I thought it would be a sarcastic crew member/pilots joke hanging them up in the crew quarters.

I'm going to post an update at the end of the weekend as there have been some significant changes to the Q-shed since my last post...stay tuned!

• Like 1

So, for those of you following there have been some changes. Some, quite drastic changes. An 'overhaul' if you will. The standard of the dioramas in this new section is incredible. Incredible and inspiring. So much so that I felt that my cardboard shed needed a lot of work if it was going to look the way I want it too and to hang with the big boys. Herein lies the process I've been through...

I'd been in B&Q looking at potential bases to attach the shed and diorama to and found a pine shelf in the reduced section that met my needs perfectly. The only difference being that it was slightly deeper than the plans I'd drawn up and I conceded that I'd have to get out the jigsaw and make some amendments. When I got home I noticed that the shelf didn't look too big, even on my smaller workbench. So, instead of hacking it up I thought I'd leave it but extend the shed another 2.5" into the base. To do this I would have to disassemble the card shed and extend it. Back to the drawing board, or so I thought. I consulted the pictures I had collected for reference, and the plans I'd drawn up and decided to try and build it as close to the real thing as I can. So instead of having the cardboard skeleton I'd made already, I'd build the shed using scale construction materials. The cardboard version is not lost however, it now forms a pattern and a guide.

Off to the LHS I went and bought up the materials I needed (for less than £20 as I have budgeted myself £30 for the shed in total).

So how do I turn this:

IMG_4606_zps2ucbxbai.jpg

into the Q-shed I had envisioned at the start of the build...

Firstly I build a solid wood frame which will hold the doors and be the anchor for the rest of the pieces:

IMG_4607_zpsclnnwiho.jpg

then using the back from the original shed I lined up the main supporting struts:

IMG_4608_zpsigycajpb.jpg

These struts then have allowed me to attach modular parts like the real things:

IMG_4610_zpsvrgyny8r.jpg

IMG_4616_zpsclti4d8q.jpg

To which some basic detailing structures have been attached, looks quite rough for now:

IMG_4617_zpsd1chb5g1.jpg

Then the concrete standing. 100grit glass paper cut into squares:

IMG_4619_zpswvcqgzaq.jpg

IMG_4621_zpsfbd3j6el.jpg

A quick coat of primer. Some of the concrete slabs have started t curl up. This was rectified with a roller:

IMG_4631_zpscqxcl80s.jpg

IMG_4633_zpsrnmatpei.jpg

More finer details being added:

IMG_4634_zpsta1dyved.jpg

and to finish, a couple of visitors for scale...the ground crew apologise for how dirty they are:

IMG_4636_zpsisxypoey.jpg

IMG_4638_zpsn1d1g0dz.jpg

IMG_4639_zpszaxkhfpl.jpg

how she looks now:

IMG_4643_zpsyt5arwia.jpg

IMG_4642_zpslymrtb3c.jpg

Work has stopped for now as I've run out of certain materials and with it being a bank holiday, there's no chance of getting them until next weekend at least. Comments, questions and queries welcome! The question of what to do with the back wall still remains!!

David

• Like 9

Nice work Matt - liking the realism of the building materials. The structure looks very nice.

Thanks, Bar. I think it looks so much better than the card version. In a weird way it's gone together much easier too despite being more complex!

1/4 roof sections are now on and the front door mechanism is cladded. Pictures to follow soon!

Here are a few more pictures from last evenings' work.

Roof section in place. I won't put anymore roof pieces on now for ease of access to the back panel, which in this picture looks horrendous...

IMG_4653_zpspzabtapg.jpg

Door mechanism cladded. Lights to be added at the end:

IMG_4654_zpszppbbgkr.jpg

Drainpipe detailing:

IMG_4659_zpsdj145xbd.jpg

Lightning (for size and position) coming along:

IMG_4661_zpsuyhdlzus.jpg

Next weekend I'll be either finishing the detailing and getting the whole thing primed (if the LHS has the parts). If not, I'll be building the new bungalow.

• Like 4

Hi MB,

I'm really into your build. I've already had some good tips for my own diorama build, but yours is a really inspiring and outstanding one. Really great work! Looking forward to the next chapter. So keep up the good work!

(I might borrow some of your solutions, hope you don't mind)

• Like 1

Hi MB,

I'm really into your build. I've already had some good tips for my own diorama build, but yours is a really inspiring and outstanding one. Really great work! Looking forward to the next chapter. So keep up the good work!

(I might borrow some of your solutions, hope you don't mind)

Thanks, Dorbeck. What are you building? I'm kind of making things up as I go along, but feel free to ask any questions and borrow all you want! It's nice to hear that my inane ramblings might be useful to someone else.

David

Thank you all, the bungalow has changed a bit since the cardboard version, however the plane spotters posters have been retained :)

I have finally solved the problem of the doors!! .5mm plasticard cut into 5mm strips, glued together at random points up and down the length to give a bit of variation.

The lighting conundrum is now rearing its head as I'm actually motoring on and getting to the point where it's time to add the lights. My LHS now stocks Woodland Scenics lighting so I've had a chance to have a look at how it works. Overall it looks really easy to set up and use, however the small scale lighting (

(http://www.smallscalelights.co.uk) appears to have the lights that I need, cheaper, but not as easy to set up. I'm stuck between the two! If any of the model railway crowd (or anyone who has experience lighting dios etc) could add their £0.02p I'd appreciate it.

I've done some thinking about vehicles and other activity on the dio. Ascoteer has been really helpful in suggesting accurate vehicles for the period and at one point I was considering getting an AEC Mammoth refueller on her recommendation. However that's looking like it would be quite an expensive option (there's one I've been watching on eBay that's going for £30) so instead I've picked up an Airfix Landie (obviously...) which has got me thinking about this: http://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/viewitem.php?productid=111. Looks like it'll be lights for everyone!!!

I'll have a couple of hours on it tomorrow so I'll post some pictures either tomorrow evening or Sunday.

The shed continues, and I reckon I'm about halfway through now.

The main structure is done so it was primed and readied for painting. The reference pictures show a drain at the front of the shed so I've added this in (plasticard) and cut the concrete slabs to fit.

IMG_4678_zpsyzee9l57.jpg

IMG_4677_zpsqk8f8fur.jpg

First step after priming I added some shading using Xtracolor Dark Sea Grey to bring out the expansion joints and dirty floor inside the shed. At this point I realised that I needed to remove the part of the roof I'd prematurely attached as well as the roof support beams. After this a thin layer of Humbrol 147 was sprayed over the top to lighten it all up a bit and replicate as best I can the actual concrete shade. As with the primer there was a bit of curling of the sandpaper of used, once the paint is dried I'll go over it again with a roller and glue the bits down that have curled up.

IMG_4679_zpszthko1sc.jpg

IMG_4682_zpscc7s3w74.jpg

IMG_4684_zps5qdkjdpz.jpg

Now starts the laborious task of picking out the details and adding signage etc. if I were to build this again I'd probably make it easier for myself and paint the supporting struts and metalwork before construction. I gave up halfway through because I got bored and my eyes were giving up on me! The door needs another coat of paint (maybe two) and the vertical struts and a/c box need painting.

IMG_4685_zpswepb2vyy.jpg

IMG_4686_zpsh0pw2ipt.jpg

IMG_4688_zpsgidbpr0o.jpg

I can't resist seeing what it looks like with an a/c on it! I'm not a patient man!

IMG_4694_zpscgjfcfxs.jpg

The gap under the door looks a bit out on this side. Once they're painted I'll take it off and glue it on lower.

IMG_4695_zpscytrromo.jpg

And the bungalow is starting to take shape. I've tried to model the visible bits as they are in real life.

IMG_4663_zpsca0iqxwr.jpg

Apart from this bit...the real version has the alarm switch and duct in opposite positions. The gap behind that you can just see will house the electronic elements.

IMG_4673_zpswmls56sb.jpg

aaaaaand, the doors. Other than the left door looking too high I think they look pretty convincing! Just need to make another set for Q1.

IMG_4666_zpszgw8fluq.jpg

IMG_4668_zpsrxzbujzs.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

These will be the last few pictures for a while as I'm awaiting some crucial structural bits to finish the roof and a few other details. At the halfway stage I'm already thinking about figures and scenarios to populate the diorama.

IMG_4698_zpsinsmbfdp.jpg

IMG_4697_zpsgggbr9kw.jpg

IMG_4696_zpspfo8dlmp.jpg

I should really do a bit more on the aircraft at some point!

IMG_4701_zps5hgxxjow.jpg

IMG_4699_zps39gfljs0.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks guys. I think it'll start to look much better once the roof is on and the green paint has been added. LHS are awaiting their most recent order of building materials so it's on hold for a bit :(

No matter how many parts I get it never seems to be enough! I'm going to have to start my own appeal like the Bruntingthorpe QShed if it carries on like this! This weekend I've done nearly all of the cladding but I ran out of angle beams so I couldn't finish the roof sections.

IMG_4752_zpsogzuskgi.jpg

IMG_4751_zpsri8cng0b.jpg

Bits to do before the big paint:

2xmain roof panels and support beams

2x 'doors'

Guttering

Lighting

Crew quarters

Lighting

Roof edging and guttering

Glazing

Furniture etc.

Once all the above is done I can start 'dressing' the dio and adding figures!

• Like 5