The Stirling Aircraft Project......

general melchett

Nice(?) to see the picture of you lot in the flesh, as it were! But you General, in your dungarees! How working class!; what would Sir Doug say? Still, nice to see you have the correct Superman stance as befits your lofty status. On a serious note, brilliant work those chaps are doing. It would be something if they could reconstruct at least one of the main landing gear legs - that would be impressive in its own right. It's always great to see people restoring or making replicas of historic aeroplanes like the Stirling. By the by, when you pop off to Russia on your Stirling hunt, would you mind picking me up an Il-2 - 80% complete would do, I should think. I have enough bits of actual Shturmovik in my storeroom and my house to complete it myself.

Your Humble Servant,

Jason

Hi Jason

It's been done although not by us :)

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?134530-The-first-complete-Stirling-undercarriage-seen-since-the-forties-assembled-in-Holland

John

• Like 1

That's remarkable! I had not seen that. Now that is a main landing gear! Now if you could only get enough people working on the other parts (wings, tail, rest of the fuselage) then someday we could have a complete Stirling. What we really need are 3D printers the size of warehouses that can work with metal - just make your 3D model in the computer and out pops an entire wing, or tail. If only.

Regards,

Jason

Brilliant work, Some of those mangled parts they're working from are unbelievable. Great job! BTW that "handbrake" height adjustment lever on the crew seats can be found on quite a few 'planes. Whats this do? Bang! Straight thru' the floor. Or feels like it! Really interesting story of the rebuild,thanks for "threading" it.

'Dungarees' !...by thunder I'll have you know that is in fact my best Primark 'council grade' No 1 battle dress and at £4.99 a bargain...you're very lucky I didn't wear my puce bejeweled battle shorts, 22 hole Doc Martins and sequined lycra leotard I usually reserve for such occasions, (Haig has a matching set !)!..

(You have 20% of a full size Shturmovick in your front room Jason..now that's an understanding wife !!).

Brilliant work just about sums it up. I'm really glad so many of you feel the same way, (but then it is a Stirling !). It would be nice to keep an updated thread pinned on here, (or the relevant section if not here) so that progress can be easily followed.

My late uncle was a flight engineer on them and would have dearly loved to have seen what's being done here so the project holds a particular interest for me.

• 4 months later...

Hi All

Thought I'd give a bit of an update on where we're at. We're moving on apace (great when you're left alone and don't have to move every 5 minutes!), we're close to finishing the design of the bomb bay jig and hopefully will be getting the bomb frames themselves laser cut in the very near future. An indication of the enormity of what we're doing can be gauged here:

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?77197-Stirling-Project-Update/page21

the addition of a scale figure against the CAD model shows the size of the old girl.

Additionally, we've made some good progress on the co-pilots (P2) rudder pedal assembly which has used many original parts which have been refurbished, which can be seen in post #628

regards

John

• Like 1

On the Facebook thingy, these guys have a small request for some cash to run off some bespoke pulleys. Apparently, Shorts did not play well with others and all of them are non standard. For those of you who have purchased the Italeri Stirling, aftermarket, canopy masks, decals etc and promptly hidden it all the stash, take some time to add it all up and think about contributing to the 1:1 effort. On this side of the pond, a large part of our aircrew served on Stirling's and it is sad that they will never have the opportunity to show their "kite" to their children and grandchildren.

Enthusiasts kept the Vulcan in the air until the Vulcan could not be kept in the air. Show a little love for an almost forgotten bomber.

Robin

I have no association, by the way.

Hi Robin

many thanks for that :), just getting simple things like pulleys made can be very expensive and even if we could get the 'common' type pulleys used everywhere else they'd cost about £6 each and we need 100 of them! Imagine that cost multiplied over the whole forward fuselage structure......

regards

John

Edited by 12jaguar

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Meatbox

There's still a few things to sort out on the throttle box (mainly complex machining of small parts) and the rest of the flightdeck is also coming together. With any luck fabrication proper of the fuselage will soon commence

John

Hi Robin

many thanks for that :), just getting simple things like pulleys made can be very expensive and even if we could get the 'common' type pulleys used everywhere else they'd cost about £6 each and we need 100 of them! Imagine that cost multiplied over the whole forward fuselage structure......

regards

John

John, just a thought but could you not talk to a friendly aircraft maintenance firm. They may be happy to supply you with worn pulleys, bearings and the like that

are replaced during inspections. They wouldn't be in airworthy condition, but you wouldn't need that anyway.

Hi Mackem

Nice idea. I actually work for a rather large aircraft maintenance organisation (Marshall), unfortunately they tend to work with American spec materials which don't match what we require. We only need smaller size pulleys now for the Trim and fuel cock systems, they don't match any modern spec either unfortunately. In all other respects the company has actually been very helpful to us :). We have good contacts with other companies who can make us any hard to find parts FOC in a lot of cases

John

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Good morning all

Just a quick post to let you know how the project is progressing, the flight deck is pretty much slaved together now and we're actively looking forward to producing the jig for building the fuselage. This has now been drawn up and we're looking into the costs of taking this forward. I still struggle with posting photos on here so here's a link to our dedicated thread on the Flypast Forum showing latest photos, (post #699) http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?77197-Stirling-Project-Update/page24

Probably worth having a look at posts #605 & 645 to gauge the size of the beast and just for a laugh post #660 :)

John

• Like 3