Welcome to the Diorama Area!

Mike

Welcome all to the diorama section, which is devoted to the scenery, not the models that we place within them.

The chat area is for discussion, hints & tips and general diorama related chatter, while the WIP section is for the construction of the diorama background, and we're only interested in the model when it comes to be integrated with the rest of the scenery. If you want to discuss the build of the model(s), start up a WIP thread in the relevant genre's area. Finally, the RFI is where you post your finished diorama, complete with the models, figures and whatever else you fancy adding to add realism :)

Enjoy this area, use it wisely, and you can thank David Mooney for bringing the request to us so we could discuss it and talk ourselves into more work! :doh:

• Like 12

This is a good thread/forum to have and I'm looking forward to learning from it, and possibly contributing at times.

I've just bought one of those electric tea-strainers, they make the grass stand up on your dioramas, and I'm looking forward to having a try with it in the near future.

Mike

Great idea Mike! I've always wanted to have a real attempt at trying to get somewhere remotely close to the work of Verlinden and the late Shep Paine. But for me, that's a whole new discipline.

Great idea- I love a diorama, nearly finished building (bodging) my first ever one.

As I'm building a model I like to think of a little vignette it might appear in and some scenery and a couple of figures to go with it to try to bring it to life.

I think I'm going to learn a lot from this section!

Mike & David,

Thanks you guys for this added feature!! I plan on making use of this forum, and having its own space is a great idea. I think it will bring more exposure to the Diorama builders and much needed help for those of use who have not built a diorama in the past.

• Like 1

No problem RichO, the main reason I myself started doing diorama's was that with the price of kits soaring up and up doing a diorama prolonged the modelling period for alot less than buying a new kit. I reckon most of my diorama's cost no more than £15 to make and lets be fair there arent many good kits about for £15 is there?! Plus the main difference with a diorama is there are no instructions, so its down to your own creativity as to what goes where and how it should look.

Just had a thought (yeah.....dangerous I know).

Over in the Group Build section Mish suggested a possible Vignette Group Build for next year. It has still to get through the voting at the end of this year but if vignettes are your kind of thing why not pop over and sign up if you're interested (if you haven't already). Should be a lot of fun if it gets to happen and the more people on board the more it has a chance of going ahead. You can find the thread here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I didn't see this section earlier. I made a topic in diorama chat, challenging someone to build 2 dioramas... a 'before' and an 'after'. It wasn't so much a challenge as the posting of an idea. I wondered if anyone has ever done this, or is interested in doing it? I got the idea when I wanted to post a pic of my Churchill MkVII in a WIP. Rather than post a pic of the tank on the workbench, I used my previous diorama, lifting out the Tiger 1 and dropping in the Churchill. I thought at the time that the new photo could have been an 'after' shot, when the Tiger was gone, the battle was over, and the allies were trundling through the liberated village. If I had thought about it, I could have made 2, the first with a Tiger rolling down a deserted street, and the second with the Churchill rolling up the same street after it's been wrecked. I can't do the first now, because it would be too difficult replicating all the details and retro-mending the buildings! I WILL do 'before' and 'after' dioramas in the future though. Definitely. I think it will add a whole new dimension to diorama-making.

Edited by Badder

Bladder: Nice idea. I had a thought of something similar, but more of a Then and Now thing with Tamiya's Cromwell and British infantry, coupled with Airfix's Warrior and British infantry. All in 1/48 obviously.

Bill-Nit, Everyone's calling me Bladder. lol. I don't think it was 'obvious' that you'd build it in 1/48th, but if you do, I will follow with interest!

Edited by Badder