HMS K26 - converted from Mikro-Mir K-Class 1/350 scale sub

"Underway on Steam Power" !

My model of HMS K26 - the last of the class of steam powered submarines launched during WWI.

I converted it from the Mikro-Mir 1/350 scale kit of HMS K4 - by lengthening the hull by 11.4mm and scratch-building a new raised casing and bridge.......

350_HMS%20K-Class_36.jpg

The bow was also altered to make it taller - using Milliput to get the basic shape.

The WIP is here

More photos of the finished model......

350_HMS%20K-Class_37.jpg

350_HMS%20K-Class_38.jpg

350_HMS%20K-Class_39.jpg

350_HMS%20K-Class_40.jpg

350_HMS%20K-Class_41.jpg

350_HMS%20K-Class_42.jpg

350_HMS%20K-Class_43.jpg

Comparison between the kit (K4) at top and my conversion (K26) below - note that K26 is longer by 11.4mm.

350_HMS%20K-Class_44.jpg

Now - anyone got any plans of HMS X.1 ??

Ken

• Like 10

Hi Francis,

I found that build already - and have 'saved' all the build photos, which will be very helpful.

The drawings are a bit OTT for my needs - in 1/350 scale all I need is a decent side profile and maybe some cross-sections.

Most refs can't even agree on length - I've seen 106m quoted, but most agree on 110m - so I'd need to lengthen and widen the K-Class hull and scratch the upper works.

At least the K hull shape provides a basis for quite a few conversions.

As for colours/paint schemes 'sub-builder', there is a distinct lack of info out there - especially below the waterline.

I tend not to be too worried - after all, it seems no-one can contradict your chosen scheme!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

There's this book too (you're welcome to borrow it) but they have managed to print the plans across the page join so you can't be sure whether a bit has been missed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-1-Royal-Navys-Mystery-Submarine-ebook/dp/B00KYVDXTA/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

I see Amazon now offer a Kindle version - perhaps that would solve the problem?

There's this book too (you're welcome to borrow it) but they have managed to print the plans across the page join so you can't be sure whether a bit has been missed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-1-Royal-Navys-Mystery-Submarine-ebook/dp/B00KYVDXTA/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

I see Amazon now offer a Kindle version - perhaps that would solve the problem?

Thanks Francis......... the book just arrived in the post this morning.

Some great detail stuff - but the plans are a bit of a disapointment - very faint and like you say, spread across the spine.

Why couldn't they do them as a fold-out and a bit darker print ??

Still, it might be enough to go on - now where are those Mikro-Mir K subs ???

Ken

excellent build - I have got a lot of time for this.

Its good to see the wooden chocks too - it gives your work more of a theme as opposed to the usual maritime model stands.

I've learned something too here - being totally ignorant to WW1 Subs, I never knew they had been steam powered - I guess I had never put any thought into how they were powered - how ignorant I am .. :banghead: