Eduard 1/32 "Weekend Edition" Messerschmitt BF109E-3 "Final Reveal" (8.18.15)

Eduard 1/32 "Weekend Edition" Messerschmitt BF109E-3 "Final Reveal" (8.17.15)

Hello Chaps,

So, she's finally completed and here are my "Final Reveal" photos of her. I hope you like?! :)

IMG_2477_zpskvuitsuq.jpg

IMG_2480_zpsfywtpskv.jpg

IMG_2486_zpsov8qhc2x.jpg

IMG_2487_zpsyhgtzpth.jpg

IMG_2488_zpsqg9r6wua.jpg

IMG_2492_zpsbtshhxpm.jpg

IMG_2508_zpsd8cjmxyi.jpg

IMG_2515_zpsv4fdnhiw.jpg

IMG_2517_zpsr9soadjl.jpg

IMG_2520_zpszmhzxujo.jpg

IMG_2527_zpsen9thn9r.jpg

IMG_2529_zpsvrvxrdvf.jpg

IMG_2530_zpsfnrewlph.jpg

IMG_2532_zpsfjufuawo.jpg

IMG_2545_zps1sonxvk1.jpg

IMG_2546_zpsx6uplugb.jpg

IMG_2547_zpsvakvsch0.jpg

IMG_2548_zpsznj5d0ss.jpg

IMG_2562_zpswcvd7rjg.jpg

IMG_2565_zpsvbhvhfy8.jpg

IMG_2572_zpsjlr3v1lh.jpg

IMG_2575_zps7uxakpqc.jpg

IMG_2580_zps9knxkutd.jpg

IMG_2597_zpsh2aolzex.jpg

IMG_2598_zpsk4oxa8hl.jpg

IMG_2440_zps1tnhzzzr.jpg

IMG_2451_zpsw72uhjvh.jpg

IMG_2475_zpsjfrmpsyh.jpg

IMG_2476_zpsihgnfwhp.jpg

If you've followed my build updates for this kit, you'll be aware of the fit issues that were present when trying to assemble the engine, bulkhead and firewall into the space provided, having to file around 2.0mm away on the width and length of the engine assembly and fuselage internal walls combined, along with filing down the length of the internal assembly and its location points within the fuselage to get it to fit. I also had to jack up the engine with spacers to ensure the exhausts stacks lined up with the apertures that they go through, as well as file the exhaust aperture to make them wider and longer due to the exhausts being larger and not going through.

Regarding whether I think this is a VFM kit - "Value For Money" kit, the answer would be an unequivocal and resounding "No"!

I base this on the cost of the kit compared to the newly tooled Revell Germany 1/32 BF109G-10 that I modelled. Although the Revell kit doesn't come with a Daimler-Benz DB601A engine, it does have nice cockpit and external details and goes together extremely well without the need for filler. The Eduard kit is 50% more expensive than the Revell Germany kit and one has to ask oneself..."Do I want to pay 50% more just to include an engine that is problematic to fit?". Also, if you chose not to display the engine with the Eduard kit, then I would say that you'd be wasting your money paying the extra for a kit that includes an engine, for it not to be used...you definitely should choose the Revell kit if you take that option and save yourself $12.00.

The Revell Germany 1/32 BF109G-10 was $23.95 and the Eduard 1/32 BF109E-3 was $35.95.

Regarding providing my scores for the overall quality of engineering, quality of molded product, quality of details included, quality of the instruction manual and the decals and packaging, I score as follows:

Quality of Engineering Fits: 4/10 based on how badly engineered the internal assemblies were when fitting inside the fuselage halves. Filler was required in a few places. The worst gap was at the underside front end of the two fuselage halves. The gap was around 2.0mm, which led me to file down the sides of the oil cooler, the front exhaust stacks and the inside faces of the fuselage halves where they mated. Without destroying the exhaust stacks, there was still a gap of around 0.75mm that I filled. There were also gaps of about 1.0 to 1.5mm all around the rear area of the wing assembly where it joins the fuselage on the belly of the plane. I had to fill these areas, too.

Quality of molded product: 9/10- the product is very nicely molded, parts are crisp and clean with just a few spots of flash. No warp was present on any of the parts and ejector pin witness marks were away from visual areas. I didn't have any sink marks to contend with and the canopy parts were nice and clear with minimal distortion when looking through. There are finely recessed panel lines and rivet details, although some of the rivet details are too fine for them to show when the plane is given a dirt wash during the finishing stage. A good rivet forming tool would cure that, should you have one and want to attempt improving them.

Quality of details included: 8/10- The included engine, bulkhead and firewall have nice details that look good at the end of the build, but they require a lot of patience to get them to fit. The undercarriage is nicely detailed too and includes brake lines and treaded tyres. The cockpit is very nicely detailed and would be enhanced more with after-market seatbelts and foot pedals, but as always, I build "Out of Box" to establish a fair assessment of what you're getting for your money compared to similar kits.

Quality of the instruction manual: 9/10- I thought it was very easy to follow, but, it would be nice if the painting instructions were in color. They are if you chose to buy the "Profi-Pak" version instead of this "Weekend Edition" version.

Quality of Decals: 8/10- There is only one option for color and markings. The main decals are very good and go down well onto a gloss clear coat in combination with a good decal setting solution, adhering to recesses and surface features. However, some of the smaller stencils had a tendency to "Silver" which I hid with weathering and painting ove the silver areas.

Quality of packaging: 9/10- the box is a two part base and lid construction with the base being very sturdy cardboard. I prefer the base and lid style rather than the open end version provided by Revell. Sprues are packaged in clear polythene bags.

Further notes: I wouldn't recommend this kit to a beginner because of the fit issues, it's definitely a kit for the more experienced modeler who has patience to overcome the fit issues.

Did I enjoy the build?- I did up until the fit issues arose, then it was a "Debbie downer" until those were overcome. Then after that, the rest of the build was smooth sailing.

Would I buy this kit again? NO! I'd hope that Revell Germany would Introduce the engine details into their kits for an extra $5.00 which I'd pay willingly, as long as there were no issues. Or, I'd recommend the Trumpeter 1/32 BF109E models that come complete with engine details, a fret of PE and rubber tyres.

If you'd like to see my "Final Reveal" video for this update, here is the link to that:

https://youtu.be/ej54LH-n8iY

Thanks for following along with this build and for your comments, much appreciated! :):thumbsup2:

Time to get back onto the Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.II when the replacements for the missing and damaged parts arrive next week!

Happy modeling and have fun!

Cheers :drink:
Martin

Edited by UKguyInUSA
  • Like 18

in spite of the problems the end result still looks great. I like how you took advantage of the large scale by applying some realistic weathering. Very good review write up too, should help a few modellers decide which kit to go for or see this one as a challenge.

• Like 1

in spite of the problems the end result still looks great. I like how you took advantage of the large scale by applying some realistic weathering. Very good review write up too, should help a few modellers decide which kit to go for or see this one as a challenge.

Thanks mate, greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

Martin

A superb end result Martin,well worth the work involved,Love it!

Thanks Steve, greatly appreciated mate!

Cheers,

Martin :)

Very nice work :)

Thanks Val, greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Another lovely job Martin - all out of the box as per your usual? Looks great, and you've overcome the fit issues very nicely!

Thanks mate, greatly appreciated, and yes, all out of the box; only the antenna wires are scratch built!

Cheers,

Superb, quality modelling.. :goodjob:

Sean

Thanks Sean, greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Very nice Emil. I like your painting and weathering. Well done.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael, greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Hi Martin, that really is a top model, and thanks for the thorough build review as well. I wasn't aware of the fit issues with the Eduard kit so your build review was very enlightening. Nice work, it looks fantastic!

Cheers

Viv

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin, that really is a top model, and thanks for the thorough build review as well. I wasn't aware of the fit issues with the Eduard kit so your build review was very enlightening. Nice work, it looks fantastic!

Cheers

Viv

Thanks Viv, much appreciated, and, sorry for my late response, I've been tied up with family life for a while; now playing catch up!

Martin

• 4 months later...

Noooo, I cant see pics :(

The Photobucket.com sight is down for maintenance, so until that is back up, the photos won't be visible. They need to get their act together! In the meantime, you can still see the result by clicking on the link to my YouTube video included at the bottom of the description! Here it is again so you don't have to scroll back up:

Edited by UKguyInUSA

• 6 months later...

Very nice result !

I'm actually dealing with a Matchbox E4 at the same scale, without big issues for a so old lady.

Cheers

Thanks Greif, greatly appreciated and sorry for the very late response! I hope your Matchbox version turned out nicely?

Cheers,

martin :)

Hello,Martin - I apologise for my late reply to your magnificent build of the '109'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.In my eyes,I couldn't see how a model could be more realistic.Inspirational work indeed.;) All the best,Paul.