maths wizard

BikKit

Hi Folks

Time to pick the collective brain again my Arfix 1/72 Lancaster is near to the camo painting stage so my question is is there a way to scale up the Airfix painting sheet to match the actual kit size so I can cut out the shapes to use as a mask ?

If there is some formula can you keep it simple please as I am a bit .

Thanks B

yes. Measure the kit painting drawing wingspan.

Measure the kit wing span, or work out what it is in 1/72nd.

divide the larger number (the kit wings span) by the smaller, x 100, this is the percentage you need to enlarge the drawing by, take to a copy shop or library, enlarge plans by the percentage you worked out. Photocopier will have a % enlargement facilty.

Worth taking a ruler and checking you have the right size when done.

HTH

• Like 3

Just a note to add to the above; the paintwork drawings aren't always perfectly scaled. You may enlarge the wingspan to the correct size you need but the width [the wing chord] might be too narrow, or too wide.

On a Lanc you wont be painting fuselage sides in camo pattern but on other models you may need to and they may well need their own enlargement different from their wingspan enlargement.

• Like 3

And another note, if I may - photocopier scaling isn't always exact, so take a ruler and measure to make sure it's right. They're a lot better than they used to be, but measuring is still free. :)

• Like 2

Very true Rob G. I'm working on something and using an original sized artwork on it. I did a couple of direct photo copies for placement guides. The original is 24 cm x 8, the copies came out 22.3 cm x 8 cm.

• Like 2

In this day and age, are there no on-line resources for printing your own camouflage masks? Surely that's a great idea for someone more computer-savvy than me to arrange? A searchable database of aircraft, choose the scale and then.... Print!

• Like 3

In this day and age, are there no on-line resources for printing your own camouflage masks? Surely that's a great idea for someone more computer-savvy than me to arrange? A searchable database of aircraft, choose the scale and then.... Print!

Not that I could find, and believe me I've looked quite hard... I guess the people making £3-7 from masking sets don't want to share their secrets?

I used the measuring technique on my Hurricane and then again on the Dambuster.

Troy's post shows the basic maths I used too - I have a scanner and so I could try different print percentages when printing the output and try the model on the top, adjusting as necessary. Here's the detailed notes I made myself:

Template Method

You need a scanner for this and a print program that lets you set the scale for printing. Or you can use a photocopier and adjust the scale until it’s right.
Scan the scheme
  • for larger models scan separate files for both wings and the tailplane
Print out a ‘draft’ to measure
  • make sure you’re using 100% (some programs scale to fit the page)
Measure something on the model (my Airfix Hurricane’s wing is 75mm from root to tip)
Measure the printed scheme in the same place (23.5mm on the Xtradecals tiny scheme)
Calculate the percentage scale, usually model divided by scheme so:
75 / 23.5 = 319.15
Print a draft at (roughly) this size using your print ‘scale’ feature (I used 320%)
  • compare it with the model and adjust the scale/ reprint until you’re happy
Print two copies of the correctly sized template, one for reference and one for cutting
  • print in colour unless you’re sure you’ll get the right bits
Optional: Change the filename to show the percentage scale you need to print at for later use.

Bikkit which kit are you doing? I did the Dambuster and here's the scheme on the model:

C34E4EBD-6B6E-4CD6-B80F-B00CD6EC2CAB_zps

With green that's not dark enough, ho hum.

Do you have a printer and laptop? If so PM me your email address and I'll send you the scanned scheme so you can print it out.

HTH :)