Are the idiots at humbrol color blind?

Speedbird 48

I know that one shouldn't feed the trolls, especially potty-mouthed bad-mannered ones, but presumably you are talking about RLM 74? Some people call it grungrau, which means greengrey, and some people think it actually looks green. I'm not one of them, but Humbrol can point to sources that differ from the ones I accept.

Incidentally, so you don't explode when you encounter it, the British WW2 colour Dark Slate Grey is also a green.

• Like 7

They sell a paint as grey, yet it looks EXACTLY THE SAME as a green when painted on! ANd then those privileged little shiits decide they can make me wait 5 days for the parcel to arrive? Can someone give me the PROPER grey for this model? http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/kits/airfixa01020reviewmd_1.htm

Bin this post and say it nicely,might get a useful reply.

• Like 2

They sell a paint as grey, yet it looks EXACTLY THE SAME as a green when painted on! ANd then those privileged little shiits decide they can make me wait 5 days for the parcel to arrive? Can someone give me the PROPER grey for this model? http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/kits/airfixa01020reviewmd_1.htm

First, swearing. Not needed on the forum, and specifically disallowed. Don't be surprised if you get suspended or banned.

Second. What grey looks green? More specific would help. If you mean whatever is is specified for RLM 74, it's actually Grau-Grun, dark grey with a specific green hue.

Third - how good is your colour vision? Try this, you might find it interesting.

http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge

It could be insufficiently mixed or just simple colour blindness.

When requesting help from the members of this site, it may pay to moderate the language.

The members here are very friendly bunch and many go out of their way to help others, but bad language isn't tolerated as there may be younger members viewing the forum topics.

• Like 3

Nah m8 I just checked I am slightly above average with color discrimination...

Great. That's good to know. Did you score zero in the test then?

Now what colour did you mean, as I did try answer your badly worded question with an educated guess, which you did not respond too.

Note, looking closely at paint guide, Humbrol 245 is listed as 'Graugrun' . Is this the one you meant? If it looks grey with a green hue, that's right.

Speedbird isn't very quick on the uptake is he? I think his moniker may be a ruse.

Great. That's good to know. Did you score zero in the test then?

Now what colour did you mean, as I did try answer your badly worded question with an educated guess, which you did not respond too.

Note, looking closely at paint guide, Humbrol 245 is listed as 'Graugrun' . Is this the one you meant? If it looks grey with a green hue, that's right.

So close man, so close. I am using 245 as my green and the paint I am complaining about is 246

Hmmm think you may have got a dodgy tin then. I have a fresh new tin of Humbrol 246 (GrayViolet) and it is definitely a slightly purplish gray. The lid of the paint matches the contents exactly if yours doesn't I would get in touch with Humbrol as it could be that someone has fouled up and put the wrong paint in a batch of tins.

The issue is not with the pot lids, its with the diagram. The diagram on the back of the plane shows a distinct pattern, the two colors as similar as Medium Green, and Forest Green. However, mine are like Forest Green and Dark Forest Green;nearly exactly the same! I am thinking I should throw caution to the wind and only use 245 like this:airfixFw190bm3.jpg

If they look similar in colour your 246 is definitely not correct. I am going by the enamels here (I always use enamel) but the colours are very different. 245 is kind of forest green and 246 should be about the colour of the lead in a pencil with a slight purplish tint not in any way greenish, Side by side they are distinctly different colours and your camouflage should clearly show up. If the tin is wrong I would guess that Airfix will know there has been a mistake as there will be many tins with the same colour in them. I should think that, if you contact them, they will send you some replacement correct paint.

Edited by Beardie

Well the thing is, they WERE a bit different. I think I SHOULD get in touch with them. I will post a pic of the model. Will they give me a refund if I have contaminated the paint pot?

It shouldn't matter if you've ''contaminated'' the pot; if the colour inside is not what its supposed to be Humbrol should give you a new correct pot.

Will they give me a refund if I have contaminated the paint pot?

Probably only if you ask nicely & are polite about it. ;):)

I've bought a few of their RLM colours & I do find their shades a bit of a mixed bag, I feel the RLM71 (Hu242) to be too dark, probably better as a RLM70 (Hu241). I have read of complaints that there is insufficient contrast between the two, much as you seem to have found. Good luck with your query.

Steve.