Airfix Beaufighter (new tool) and Hurricane MkIIc SEAC 1/72

I'd ignore the instructions!

I bought my beaufighter today and it said 1/48 on the side of the box ( maybe a hint about future release or typo?)

Lol, I just found that too

My interpretation is this, I think the starboard profile is incorrect and this has been transposed onto the plan view although I'm only basing this on interpretation of another couple of profiles.

It would appear that compared to the desert scheme the dark green replaced the mid stone.

I think that the rudder on the starboard view should be dark green and the fin should be dark earth, looking at the plan view, the dark green and dark earth on the tailplane and elevators should perhaps be transposed.

Without a photo of the actual aircraft it's difficult to tell but the profile in the Modellers Datafile of the same aircraft show the same demarcations, the port profile of KW393/W on Xtradecal X72227 also of 27 Sqn shows similar demarcations, the starboard demarcation of KW393 on that instruction sheet probably makes sense but it perpetuates the position of the DG and DE.

Late edit, found a picture of RD367 the port profile would appear to be correct - see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/ww2images/6902847203

Good work so far BTW

Wez

Edited by Wez

Trying to look at the xtradecal sheet on hannants for something more clear, and looking at builds done online, I've kind of settled for this below

excuse my masking skills, but it works :)

DSC_2533_zps9bddgadr.jpg

DSC_2534_zps9ug5i4pj.jpg

DSC_2536_zpsq0oukwyt.jpg

• Like 5

Ok, so with what access of pictures I could get and looking at other brands of decal sheets I've decided to go with this below. What do you think guys?

DSC_2538_zpsksn6hde1.jpg

DSC_2537_zpsm4pditk7.jpg

needs a little tidying up in a couple of spots, but I'm happy at least

and the two aircraft together

DSC_2539_zps5ggozp0e.jpg

• Like 14

Ayup...

Very Impressive work O pure one, And as everyone else has said, an impressive model (maybe apart from the heating tube which I'd add with plastic rod) from Airfix. I guess there'll be plenty of them at Telford.

I've done some more work this evening, on the engines and decided to tackle that 3 part engine cowling, which has gone ok, will require some sanding to get a seamless joint.

I'm also impressed with the fit of the collector rings to the cowling which is as close to perfect as your going to get. One thing with the colour call outs is Airfix call for the collector rings and exhausts to be matt black, I've gone with a metallic gray instead

sorry about poor photos, I might replace these if I can take better in natural light.

DSC_2542_zpsusndit9n.jpg

DSC_2545_zpspd1zc7rh.jpg

The collector rings were sometimes painted with a black paint, similar to stove enamel if I recall, to cover the glow of the hot ring in low light/dark conditions. Does Airfix colour callouts mention the engine gear casings? These were black too.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126832

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205127048

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209555

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209131

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205212639

Chris

• Like 1

Looking good so far I might have to get another Beaufighter to do this scheme. I'm planning on painting my collector rings burnt metal with black on top with a chipped/worn effect with the burnt metal showing through.

Another update, engines has been done, just need to fit the exhausts to the kit.

Getting quite close to the gloss cote and decaling stage now. I would like to finish this in a week, in time for my club meet on wednesday and club show on the 12th

DSC_2553_zpsnpn8vv90.jpg

DSC_2550_zpstps5gyxp.jpg

DSC_2549_zpstd0jilk9.jpg

Again, I will say, the cowlings were really annoying, some filling and sanding required to get right. while i'm happy with. Always good to keep up the skills, if it fell together like a tamiya kit, I would not have felt like I worked for it

• Like 7

Looks outstanding so far, Airfix just seem to be churning out better and better kits at the moment.

Can't wait to see this Beau finished. Eagerly awaiting mine now.

Eng

Just found this thread. Great work thus far! The building and paint finish are really good and the model is very interesting. It's already in my wish list.

Cheers

Jaime

So, undercarriage on late last night, quite fiddly so left it overnight to glue and set. Which is has perfectly. wheels needed a touch up of paint, which is still drying in the picture below.

DSC_2555_zpsfp4n89a1.jpg

Being its my wife and my 9th wedding anniversary, its going to be a struggle to get any more done today, I have booked us a day away in a B&B tomorrow, so I might bribe her with that so I can try and get the gloss cote on today, so it will be drying while we are away and I get all day Saturday for a decaling session

• Like 7

Ok ladies and chaps, gloss cote is on. I use tamiya X-22 clear thinned 50-50 with X-20A tamiya Acrylic thinner as my choice of gloss, I used to use Xtracrylix but gave up on that have some advise on alternative options and this stuff I found fantastic.

I like to give 2 cotes then leave the first gloss for 24-48 hours before decaling, which will start on friday night/Saturday with there being not too many decals I should be able to get the decals sealing in by the end of the weekend, leaving Monday and Tuesday for weathering and final matt cote

The gloss really does make them shine

DSC_2559_zps6czsc9lf.jpg

• Like 10

Hello, great work on both of these planes.

It still seems odd that we have a Beau that is well detailed (apart from the heating tube - can anyone shed light for me on what that is supposed to be but it has been mentioned loads of times) and without loads of rivets all over the place. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these from my local model shop.

All the best,

RAY