1/200 Cyber Hobby Avro Vulcan B.2

• Kit manufacture: Cyber Hobby
  • Scale: 1/200
  • Type: Avro Vulcan B.2
  • Extras used: None, completely OOB
  • Paints and colours used: Tamiya Acrylics, XF-1 Black (pre shading only), XF-2 Flat White, XF-81 Dark Green, XF-83 Medium Sea Grey, XF-85 Rubber Black (all black work), X-18 Semi Gloss Black (Landing gear struts), XF-57 Buff (pre and post shading white), X-2 Gloss White (Blue Steel), Vallejo RLM green on tail (can't remember exactly which one), Mr Metal Color Dark Iron (fan blades, jet exhaust), Flory Grime wash (over white) and Flory Dark Dirt, Alclad Aqua Gloss (decal prep) and Hannants Satin Varnish (finish).
  • Other info: Full build is here : http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969240-cyber-hobby-1200-avro-vulcan-b2/page-1

Background waffle...

My grandad was a Lancaster (and other) pilot during the war serving with bomber command. He also flew with Air and Sea Rescue and was very proud of the work he did during the Berlin airlift. After this he left the RAF to own a farm, thus ending our families ties with the RAF. However, my Dad always loved aircraft and transferred that enthusiasm to me.

When I was a kid, we would regularly take family trips to Duxford for the airshows. During the mid-late 80s (I think) when I would have been 5-7 years old, we arrived late to the show due to a traffic jam and the car overheating. By the time the we parked in the overflow car park, the Vulcan was already tearing through the skies, her engines shaking the ground, setting off car alarms. I was terrified! Apparently I jumped back in the car for cover! She was the star of the show.

Knowing time is running out to see the Vulcan fly, Dad and I went to Waddington airshow last year to see her. She was undoubtedly still the star. The engine howl on spool up and nibble leap into the air was exactly how I remember. She would look less out of place in a Star Trek movie than the skies of Britain!

I LOVE this aircraft!

The Kit

Right, enough of that. I chose the Cyber Hobby kit for two reasons: 1. It was £9.99 in the sale at Hannants and 2. I'm waiting for Airfix or someone else to retool a 1/72 modern version, packed with detail!

Build was straight forward on the whole; a bit of filler here and there and I packed out the panel to take the Blue Steel as this was a poor fit. Other than that, the fit was excellent. The detail is great in this kit! It even has a cockpit with seats and pilots, not that you'll be able to see them after it's finished. Decals are great too.

DSCF6653_zps99gkwjcf.jpg

DSCF6654_zpsvymk1zth.jpg

DSCF6655_zpstvazvxch.jpg

DSCF6656_zpskzac2lbc.jpg

DSCF6657_zpsr9wybjhm.jpg

DSCF6658_zpslt52tccl.jpg

DSCF6663_zpslp10lzmv.jpg

DSCF6665_zpsjyo6qa2l.jpg

DSCF6667_zpszdnfto7i.jpg

DSCF6669_zpsc82o2fuv.jpg

DSCF6670_zpsvknxp25t.jpg

I masked originally by blowing up the instructions to the size of the model and using a craft knife to cut through the instructions and tamiya tape. It didn't work great and the camo edges were very rough. I remasked most of it using Jammy Dog tape which is how I'd do it all next time.

And there we have it! A great kit, go and get one!

Val

• Like 22

Hello,Val - Congratulations on your lovely build of the Vulcan.She really looks the part and I like the scheme very much.Avro would be proud of that one! All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Nice , great colour scheme but you have one of the pitots in the wrong place.

D'oh! Which Pitot is it?

Enjoyed watching the WIP and has turned into a cracking build. Nicely done :) Definitely adding one to my stash based on this!

Thanks! Yes mate, go for it, you won't be disappointed!!

• Like 1

Thanks all! I really appreciate the kind words!

Very nice result there and a fun Build to watch. With a few exciting bits of drama and early flights thrown in haha . Lovey job :)

thanks Rob, glad you like it being such a Vulcan fan! Cheers for the tips through the build, made things much easier!!
  • Like 1

D'oh! Which Pitot is it?

The top one . Should have 1 either side of the nose just under the rounded.

You got one right. Surely the instructions don't place them where you've got them do they ?

D'oh! Which Pitot is it?

You got one right. Surely the instructions don't place them where you've got them do they ?

One of the few errors on the kit. I opt to leave them off on mine but this kit is odd in that albeit the smallest Vulcan its the most accurate one available however the errors it does have are amazing in that they are totally ficticious the top pito I have never seen on any vulcan but yet the kit has it. Also in an odd move the front wheel comes with 4 tyres ! Shape issues are one thing but the error there is weird as hell.

• Like 1

D'oh! Which Pitot is it?

What Rob said!! It does, I didn't notice they were wrong, live and learn :)