1:72 Revell Lancaster B.III Dambusters

Hi all!

This was my first ever build and I wanted to do it so that I could be a bit more involved in this fantastic community who are always so keen to buy our modelling books!

I started the build thinking that I would do everything in a very neat, ordered way, however I quickly wanted to start gluing and seeing it take shape, so I became a little sloppy with my orderly ideas!

I had several issues with the build (a couple because of my own fault and one or two which I will blame the kit for!) My biggest issue was the engines and them not fitting on the wings neatly despite how much i wiggled them! I would like to get some filler or something to hide the gaps between them and the wings as I am sure you will see!

IMG_20150818_120651383.jpg

The paint along the sides needs to be tidied up a bit and there are a couple of green fingerprints on the glass at the front as well as my untidy engines.

I only used five paints for this (a metallic silver, a muddy brown, a standard looking green (colours on wings for green and brown), a yellow for the tips of the propellers, and a matt black) all Humbrol Enamel Paints. They were all pretty good I thought!

IMG_20150818_124936743.jpg

IMG_20150818_124943387.jpg

Despite getting furious at the pieces for not working properly several times, I really want to do another kit to see if I can do it better and make something that looks a little tidier and nicer than this! Maybe a nice simple fighter plane! Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers all!

- Andy

• Like 11

For a first build Andy you've done well! Not an easy kit to start with and, with the tools you had available, a good start.

If you want something easier for your next build try the Airfix Spitfire - it's a lovely model and flys together - 1/72 of course!

If you get hooked there's plenty of advice to be had on tools etc - just ask.

• Like 2

For a first build Andy you've done well! Not an easy kit to start with and, with the tools you had available, a good start.

If you want something easier for your next build try the Airfix Spitfire - it's a lovely model and flys together - 1/72 of course!

If you get hooked there's plenty of advice to be had on tools etc - just ask.

Thanks! Conscious of the gaps and dodgy paintwork, but I think I was rushing to get it together really. Fingers crossed the next one will go together better! Will definitely have a look at the Spitfires - cheers for the suggestion!

- Andy

Edited by Casemate UK
  • Like 1

Congrats on your very first build. It is a lot better than my first and quite brave of you to attempt a WWII heavie. Certainly a commendable effort. I agree with CedB, the new tool Airfix Spitfire is an excellent choice for your next model. It's quite a nice kit and has been an enjoyable build for me.

• Like 1

That's an ambitious project for a first go. I've never plucked up the courage to have a go at a Lanc yet.

Patience comes with practice. I threw my first few together without really thinking about it but with a little extra time and effort you'll see the progress.

Another nice build is the Airfix 1/72 A4 Skyhawk. I found it a very easy and enjoyable build if its something you're interested in.

• Like 1

I just can agree with what the others said - Very good for a First model and definitely a kit that is - still - beyond my skills. I am currently working on my First two engine kit. The 1/72 Italeri Ju 52 and I struggle with this one already...

So well done and keep 'em coming.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

Onwards and upwards...'Per ardua ad astra', or 'Through adversity to the Stars.'

• Like 1

Iain, you Latin is cr*p. Andy that's a brave first attempt. It took me while to even attempt paint, and I started on a single engine kit.

Practice is your friend, and anyone here will give you pointers on how to hone your skills.

• Like 2

It looks very good for you first model. The gaps on the engine can be removed at anytime without spoiling your work too much. The bubbles on the decals could also be fixed with a little stick and a decal solution. But leave it now as it is, if you haven't worked with it I don't know. Aghh Fingerprints on clear plastic or elsewhere. I'm very convinced with the Lux product : http://www.modellparadies.com/lux-dle-90-druck-und-lackentferner--9502.html

I don't know, if its available in GB? It's a good stuff ( normaly for model railways) Helped me a lot. Cheers

• Like 1

Cheers for all the kind words guys and thanks for the suggestions on kits too! :thumbsup:

I was getting very ahead of myself last night and looking at some beautiful, but ridiculously intricate, Space Shuttle models as well as the Airfix 1:72 ranges - think I'll start there before shooting for the stars!

Is there anyway to remove or hide the clear bits in the decals which hold them together (see the 'Walk Here' lines on the wings) or is that something that can't really be hidden? Had seen the Humbrol Decalfix stuff last night and wondered if that would help hide it perhaps?

- Andy

• Like 1

Yes. Use a gloss paint or clear varnish before you apply the decals, that will mostly eliminate the 'silvering' Then finish the model with a matt varnish afterwards

. If you check out the paint section in tools and tips, you will get some good suggestions as to what you might use.

• Like 1

Yes. Use a gloss paint or clear varnish before you apply the decals, that will mostly eliminate the 'silvering' Then finish the model with a matt varnish afterwards

. If you check out the paint section in tools and tips, you will get some good suggestions as to what you might use.

Ahh. Thanks for the advice! Will try that on the next one then. (I can see this becoming a rather expensive hobby very quickly!)

Hi Andy :)

bentwaters beat me to it! 'Silvering' is a problem everyone has to cope with (see the 'AJ' transfer on my latest Dambuster build). From what I know the effect is caused by tiny air bubbles under the transfer. To avoid this I've been advised to use cover the model with 'Klear' (now Johnson's Pledge Multu-surface wax) after the painting to give a smooth finish (the same effect as varnish). Then use Micro Set on the model, lay down the transfer and expel any air (I carefully roll a cotton bud across the top) then a gentle brush with more Micro Set and leave to dry (overnight). As you'll see in my Dambuster thread you can also the use Micro Sol if there's still a problem - this sort of 'melts' the transfers so you brush it on gently and then leave the transfers alone to dry, again overnight.

Even then some silvering may still be present. The final matt varnish coat (W&N Acrylic varnish is good value and airbrushes / hairy brushes well).

I'd also recommend YouTube, especially Paul Budzik's tutorials; his video on transfers is here.

• Like 1

First of all, my congrats for your first build. I agree with what bentwaters81tfw said. Using a clear gloss varnish before applying decals will eliminate the silvering effect and make you feel even better about the final result.

Keep up the good work!!! :goodjob:

Cheers

Shalako

• Like 1

A good attempt at a first build. Mine went unpainted for years before I even attempted to wave a brush at them. Nobody nails it first time and I often have more failures than success. You'll get loads of advice and ideas on here, just keep practising and enjoy it

A beast of a model to choose as a first effort at aircraft modelling - I did the same thing! Yes there was some cursing involved with the building of my one as well!

Regarding advice with painting and finishing, and your transfer application, as a newbie I found that spending an hour with a large mug of tea and the Humbrol YouTube channel tutorials was time well spent.

Having seen your comments regarding the decals, in particular, you may like to watch:

How To - Use Clear

How To - Use DecalFix

I have varnished models with 'Clear' and used 'Decalfix' to seat the decals down, sealing them in with another coat of Clear - it's worked a treat and I am happy with the result. My Lancaster is seen here. It just remains for me to buy and apply some matt or satin varnish to tone down the shine.

I have also used the Humbrol Gloss Cote enamel varnish, and whilst this has produced a good looking result, it took weeks to fully cure and the model was tacky for quite some time. The Clear dries off quickly by comparison, so I am using that from now on.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I think it's fabulous that you want to experience building scale models. Your first attempt is ok, and you have chosen a plane which is not the easiest, maybe the outer engines might be reveresed (and no,maybe it's not your fault, the instructions might be wrong... ask me how I know)

Maybe for a next build a starter kit? The spitfire from airfix is rather nice. And I was pleasantly surprised with the paint and brush in the airfix starterkits.

I'll be watching your next build. Good luck!

(oh, almost forgot: the most important question: did you enjoy building the kit? Having fun, most important part of building models in my book)

Edited by Dorbeck

Welcome to BM Andy.

That's a fantastic job for your first model.

What a great way to start your modelling career.

You'll soon find this hobby, relaxing*, enjoyable*,interesting*, frustrating*, obsessive*.

*Delete as applicable.

Cheers.