Airfix Tiger Moth, 1:72

Decals were excellent to apply; thin carrier film, good adherence and no silvering. One a bit weak point: Airfix should stop cutting out parts of the carrier film (like the space within the "N" of the registration), it makes proper positionning more difficoult than it should.

15-decals3_zpsfq7lh8vy.jpg

After some gloss varnish, Tamiya clear, they get almost invisible. Note how they fit around the aileron control panel (?) - marvelous!

16-decals4_zpsiucb4npr.jpg

And rudder attached. Nose is just plugged into place, no glue yet.

17-hoehenleitwerk_zpszrbv7vdo.jpg

Next step: rigging and attaching wing. I hope I will finish in time...

Alex

• Like 1

Delighted to see that you're still with the GB Alex, we soldier on regardless! :) . She's looking splendid. Transfers, and how they apply, make a big difference don't they. I remember the Airfix ones supplied with their new tooled Bf110 3 years or so ago were dreadful - thick milky carrier film that wouldn't settle at all and totally impossible if you were trying to make the shark mouth version. Airfix have obviously taken on the universal outcry from this and produced a better quality now.

I'm still going...hope to get a full day in today but some of it will be "downtime" waiting for glue to set.

Max

@Max: I never had bad Airfix decals, all the "new Airfix" kits (Harrier, Vampire, Hawk, Tiger Moth) were good. Maybe I was just lucky!

Top wing glued in place. It was a bit fiddly, but against all odds, I managed it. When the plastic glue has cured, I will reinforce the joints with some thin CA. As wife and kid are away this weekend, I hope to finish it until sunday. Sorry for the slightly blurred photo.

18-fluegel_zps5nk7zu6e.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

Rigging is on its way. I use stretched sprue, glued with CA into small blind holes. Colour is with an Edding waterproof felt pen. However, it needs some touch-ups. In the end, I stretch it carefully with a red hot toothpick (caution, no flame!) you can see the difference before and after stretching - two wires on the left hand wings are still a bit loose. Next step is to finish the rest of the wiring, and attaching the gear and nose.

19-verspannung1_zps7ch6npx2.jpg

Alex

• Like 1

finished! Result can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985873-gallery/?p=2150160

Maybe I should add the cables to the rudders, but I feel they will look too prominent, as on some original pictures, they can barely be seen. Thanks to the hosts for this GB, the Tiger Moth is a very nice kit.

Alex

• Like 2