1/144 Boeing 767-300 Air New Zealand

After finishing the F/A-18F, I needed to do a simple project to clear my head, so I selected the Zvezda 1/144 Boeing 767.

I regularly see this scheme 767 flying into Auckland airport. Air NZ retrofitted winglets to their 767's, which I think looks fantastic. The Zvezda kit doesn't come with the winglets, so I decided to build my own. In 1:1 scale the winglets are 3.4 metres tall, which makes them rather large in 1/144. I started by cutting the existing wingtips off, and gluing in place a 1/4 of a hollow tube to the wingtip to get the arch. After roughly shaping them I added the winglet, which I fabricated from Evergreen plastic card, I sanded everything smooth after a adding a bit of milliput to the inner curve to make it a seamless join.

I painted the teal to dark blue myself, which has come out very well. Unfortunately photographing a white aircraft on a white background has wreaked havoc on the colours, so please excuse the photographs. I've put them into photoshop to try make them better, but I'm not happy with them still.

As I'm sure most 'plane spotters' will recognise, I will point out now that I realise the kitset has the wrong engines for an Air NZ aircraft, and the window layout is incorrect for an Air NZ aircraft too. I decided not to fix these problems, as the build was intended to be a fun quick build, which it has been.

My friend Peter Mossong printed the White 'Koru' decals for me on his Alps printer, which I'm very grateful for, thanks Peter. The rest of the decals for the Air NZ specific scheme I've printed on my inkjet printer.

Regards,

Alan

IMG_0038_zpsqom15tdw.jpg

IMG_0039_zps8ehpdalm.jpg

IMG_0040_zps2auavzle.jpg

IMG_0041_zpshfxkhgly.jpg

IMG_0049_zpshbgh7lt9.jpg

IMG_0054_zpss8fwrb7v.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsspzt0iey.jpg

IMG_0051_zpsleqpezzo.jpg

IMG_0050_zpsg6ryzpve.jpg

IMG_0067_zpssiuizqke.jpg

IMG_0055_zpsgfyjtdzh.jpg

Family photo

IMG_0070_zpsfrru1xcz.jpg

• Like 27

That is outstanding work, one would never it was a 'quick' build.... So nice to see quite a few airliners of late on the forum.

Did you use alclad on the leading edges and air intakes?

Edited by speedbird340
  • Like 1

That is one gorgeous build - something I'm aspiring toward, and you think of it as a simple build. No, I'm not jealous. Very, very nicely finished off. There is some nice depth to the cockpit - did you use the clear piece or a decal here?

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

speedbird340, on 18 Aug 2015 - 4:57 PM, said:

That is outstanding work, one would never it was a 'quick' build.... So nice to see quite a few airliners of late on the forum.

Did you use alclad on the leading edges and air intakes?

Hi Speedbird,

Yes the leading edges are Alclad, still one of my favourite paints. I agree, it's great seeing airliners on the forum.

That is one gorgeous build - something I'm aspiring toward, and you think of it as a simple build. No, I'm not jealous. Very, very nicely finished off. There is some nice depth to the cockpit - did you use the clear piece or a decal here?

Cheers,

Mike

The cockpit window is a clear part, which has been sanded and polished to fit with the profile of the kit. I masked off all of the side windows too, as there are clear parts down the side of the aircraft too. Doing the side window masking took about 45 minutes.

• Like 1

That's a really spiffy model, Mama like! :)

I like to photograph my airliners against a light blue background to escape the oversaturated white look that so often affects photos of white kits on a white background.

Hi Jessica. I wish I had a blue background available to me, I was trying to think of a way of tinting the background, but in the end gave up. I ended up taking rather dark pictures, then autocorrecting the colour in photoshop. I've got an ATR-72 on the go at the moment, and am planning a 747-400 soon after, so might have to think more seriously about a coloured backing sheet.

Fantastic Alan! That has really come out a treat. :goodjob:

Just an idea for photography backgrounds... Would it be possible to use a bed sheet for the background? it is certainly large enough to be of decent size to do the job, and colour choice to suit those predominantly white aircraft? I used to use this technique some years back, but the drawback is ironing beforehand to get rid of the creases *mutter, grumble*.

• Like 1

Fantastic. Wow! It looks beautiful as a longtime Air NZ fan and passenger. Flown on many of their 76's over the years.

The engine type issue is a point for the fastidious but your able work is good enough for that not to bother me.

In fact, I just recently flew on one of these 76 winglet types to and from Hawaii from Auckland. I had heard some reports beforehand the interiors were looking very tired - but i can honestly state, I was impressed - it could be a lot worse. It's a long-ish flight (9 hours 30 mins) and I enjoyed it despite the naysayers.

What a great job - you should be proud of that collection too - I'm envious but working on it - and it's good to hear Mr Mossong is still going strong on the model front after all these years (ask him to tell you about about the legendary "Mossong Fling" - I still remember that from 20-plus years ago! ;-P).

Edited by KiwiRho
  • Like 1

That is just superb, really lovely model! Thank you for the info about how you did the winglets, I want to do a Caribean Airlines -300 that needs them & was wondering how to get that curved join between the wing underside & the winglet. The 1/4 tube idea would never have occured to me!

Excellent work!

keith

• Like 1

TrojanThunder, on 19 Aug 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

Looks great Allan, nice photography.

What colour did you use for the wings?

I used Gunze for the wings, I can't remember which colour, possible H335 and a lightened neutral grey, both colours we pre and post shaded

• Like 1

hairystick, on 19 Aug 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Fantastic Alan! That has really come out a treat. :goodjob:

Just an idea for photography backgrounds... Would it be possible to use a bed sheet for the background? it is certainly large enough to be of decent size to do the job, and colour choice to suit those predominantly white aircraft? I used to use this technique some years back, but the drawback is ironing beforehand to get rid of the creases *mutter, grumble*.

Hi Paul,

There's a joke at my house and it goes something along the line of " is there anything safe in this house from being used for modelling". I think I'd better keep away from the sheets ;-)

• Like 1

Wow, that's lovely!

Great trio too, and I couldn't agree more about 'compromises'. It's your model, and your enjoyment building it, so do it your way, Yeah!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

what a cracking '67

I've always wondered what the Zvezda 67 looks like built and I must say I am really impressed with your assembly. Those winglets really make it look the part.

Its such a shame that the 767's are heading towards the end of their lifecycles and rely on older technology - just like the old TriStars and similar, one day soon they (the 767's) will be gone... :weep:

Hi Alan,

I like this 767 too! I've not seen many built either and this one is making me want to dig mine out from the stash!

Good job with the decals too. Did you know F-DCAL do ANZ 767 decals? http://www.f-dcal.fr/decals/index.php?id_product=1019&controller=product&id_lang=1

Not that there's anything wrong with yours though.

Looking forward to the 747-400 and ATR!

Cheers,

Ian