Spitfire MkIa X4474 Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

My next build will be my first (but not last) from the Xtradecals X72117 'RAF Battle of Britain' sheet.

Having completed the Hurricane (WiP here) from this:

174707-10571.jpg

the next obvious selection is the Spitfire. Confusingly the box depicts 'Sailor' Milan's Mk1a but the instructions refer to a MkII so I shall put my fingers in my ears, go 'la la la'* and carry on, continuing my ignorance. Which scheme? I really like the white / night on K9867 but fear that it's capture on 23 May '40 make it too early. Next on the sheet is K9899 and I've read Robert's thread with interest... that's off the list then as I don't have the paint.

I'll therefore go for X4474 QV-I from 19 Sqn, flown by Sgt Jennings, which I hope will just squeeze in (otherwise why is it on the sheet??!!).

More research required on this Spit, and Sgt Jennings.

Edit: Just realised that looks like I'm chanting the variant; perhaps I should have typed 'lah lah lah'?! And, of course, cursed the auto-correct that changed it back again!

• Like 14

X4474's first flight was on 16/09/1940, then to 6MU on 17/09 and issued to 19sqn on 20/09.

It had quite a varied career... 7 OTU, 602sqn, 610, 53 OTU, Air Service Training Hamble, School of Technical Training. It appears to have survived until 1947.

• Like 5

Hello Ced. Of course on board again. Good classic choice The Me 109 E is my favorite of the 109's. Are these the new moulds or the old one. Although Airfix old ones were mostly correct in shape and dimensions. I will link this here to another BoB thread here as he's a newbie here and asked for support, tips and help. Hope you don't mind. Cheers :speak_cool::yahoo::winkgrin:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Morning chaps! Welcome all to the next set of blunders, clumsy mistakes and idiot decisions... you have been warned!

I've just had to come back to the top of the post as I've had this (new to me) error when I clicked 'Post':

Too%20many%20emoticons_zpsmay2ydbi.jpg

Like having, like, too many likes, like, I assume this is someone's attempt to make me think about my posts and how many emoticons I'm using. Hmmm. I then had a period reviewing the posts, seeing which emoticons I could remove without causing offence. I suppose I could always revert to, er, what's it called... language, that's it, but then I'm aware that English is not everyone's first language. Tricky. I have replaced a number of emoticons with '*smiley face*' and removed some where I know/hope people won't take my words the wrong way. Will that do it? Who knows.

No. Now I've posted "more than the allowed quoted blocks of text" so I'll have to split this post in two.

Alex I bet you're loving this! Er, *smiley face*

Good choice Ced, I think that you will find this link useful Spitfire Production .

Very useful, thanks John. I have yet to refine my reference sources so I'll bookmark this one - great stuff :)

Looking forward to this Ced as I have two of the same up after the hurri's.... Really need to get back into them.....

Rob

Thanks Rob - I'm going to shameless copy other people on this one and hope to get close® to a correct DG on the finish. :)

X4474's first flight was on 16/09/1940, then to 6MU on 17/09 and issued to 19sqn on 20/09.
It had quite a varied career... 7 OTU, 602sqn, 610, 53 OTU, Air Service Training Hamble, School of Technical Training. It appears to have survived until 1947.

Thanks Simon... makes you wonder if she was popular or not eh? I'll see if I can dig up some more history (although see above!!) - *smiley face*

:popcorn: I'm in

Hi Jon, great to have you on board - *smiley face*

Hello Ced. Of course on board again. Good classic choice The Me 109 E is my favorite of the 109's. Are these the new moulds or the old one. Although Airfix old ones were mostly correct in shape and dimensions. I will link this here to another BoB thread here as he's a newbie here and asked for support, tips and help. Hope you don't mind. Cheers :speak_cool::yahoo::winkgrin:

Hi bbudde... as it's you I'll do the 109 next (if I remember) - I must warn you I'm an OOB man and 'build the kit' rather than a perfect model - I don't want to disappoint later!

They're the old moulds (as far as I know). (I've just had to look up 'mould' and 'mold' to try to remind myself which is right... now I've decided no one cares so I'll mix them randomly, probably)

Iron Maiden? Bit heavy for me as you probably imagined. I watched the clip (thanks), tempted by the 'Aces High' and the intro film and then my old ears made me stop - sorry :)

'Aces High' is what the Luftwaffe theme is called on the Battle of Britain soundtrack album - one of my favourites and I always join in with the 'vrump rump rump' - has to be done - very rousing - *smiley face*

Like 06/24 I'm in, well it would be rude not to. :popcorn:

Hi Nigel and welcome, good to have you on board.

Agree, hate to be rude.

and Phil!

:popcorn:
Same here.

and Alex! - *smiley face*

• Like 1

I wish you a good start with this one and I couldn't resist to post this here, although I'm sure you don't like this kind of music:

Thats probably the best soundtrack for building a BoB Spitfire, up the Irons !

• Like 2

Thankfully that posted - will the copied text still be there? Phew

Another BoB build? Seems to be a bit of a theme going on here. Ok, chocks away, I'm ready to be entertained.

Hi Mike :)

I'm new to this GB idea as, like you, I found it got a bit quiet elsewhere so thought 'what the heck'. All my plans for the stash have gone awry... oh well.

:popcorn:

same :)

Hi Danyel, glad to have you on board - *smiley face*

I told myself not to watch any more 1/72 builds, but as ot's you, I'm in too also.
C'mon then, get on with it.

Hi John! Thanks for watching this one! I know how you feel... I'm not watching many non 1/72 builds and few non WWII ones and sometimes feel a bit disloyal to my chums... but if you're not careful the modelling time gets 'stolen' by reading threads!

It won't be much longer before my old eyes push me away from 1/72 so bear with me!

Ced, you are a machine, I'm having trouble keeping up with all your builds!

However, now I have found it, I'm in :popcorn:

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew and welcome, of course!

'You are a machine' made me think of 'Humans' (the Channel 4 series) and that lovely actress that played Anita... and the one that played Niska... sorry, where was I? Can't remember... oh yes, machines... perhaps I have a chance with Anita if that's true, what d'ya think?? :Tasty::)

• Like 1

Thats probably the best soundtrack for building a BoB Spitfire, up the Irons !

Hi BerndM - sorry you got caught in the posting madness!

Um, I think I need something that doesn't make me 'head bang' when I'm building! Or is this you and bbudde trying to start something? :) :)

• Like 1

Thanks Simon... makes you wonder if she was popular or not eh? I'll see if I can dig up some more history (although see above!!) - *smiley face*

Longevity is in no way related to popularity.☺

• Like 1

Hello Ced,

OK, um, sorry - it was my first time, too. Using the "popcorn" smiley(?), that is - did I score 1, snarf snarf? (I know that that isn't quite the right word, I'm being difficult. Sorry. Again.)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Spitfire smiley face, big grin, puzzled look, more popcorn, etc.

Cheese and greens,

Alex.

• Like 1

Longevity is in no way related to popularity.☺

Damn, you mean I have to be old and nice to people?

Hello Ced,

OK, um, sorry - it was my first time, too. Using the "popcorn" smiley(?), that is - did I score 1, snarf snarf? (I know that that isn't quite the right word, I'm being difficult. Sorry. Again.)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Spitfire smiley face, big grin, puzzled look, more popcorn, etc.

Cheese and greens,

Alex.

Not your fault Alex... there were far more emoticons in other posts.

Yes, score 1 for the Dbl-E, fnaar fnaar! (This comes from Stew's post (was it really only back in April) where he commented on the double entendres and introduced me to Finbarr Saunders from Viz.)

I've tried to 'tone down' the double-entendres but people keep pulling me up on it (no, that one isn't good enough).

• Like 1

Iron Maiden? Bit heavy for me as you probably imagined. I watched the clip (thanks), tempted by the 'Aces High' and the intro film and then my old ears made me stop - sorry :)

Ced, Like you Iron Maiden are a bit too heavy for my ageing ears. I prefer this these days - introduced to me via our son James.

https://youtu.be/_u4Md_aXVJE

• Like 1

Iron Maiden were too loud for me even when I was much, much younger! Give me a Spitfire at full power any day... Never too loud!

JR

• Like 3

Thanks John - what a great video! Looks like the full movie is on YouTube so added to my watch list.

Hi Simon - I'll reserve my niceness then for kind people like you :)

Thanks Jean - Spitfire at full power? I think most boys, even old ones, can do the sound.

Better get on and build one!

• Like 2