Spitfire MkIa X4474 Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

OK, I cheated. Some of this was painted with the Hurricane, the pilot was painted along with T Tommy's crew so all I've really done today is a bit of fiddly stuff on the internals:

C27A42C1-8E2A-4BB9-978B-4771BA224FAC_zps

I'm really liking the Tamiya detailed brush (pictured on the right) - lovely point and it seems to hold, and apply, the paint better than my others. So much so that I've bought two more, a medium and small flat. Hopefully worth the money, we shall see!

Just noticed there's no IP in this kit (WHHHAAATTTTTT!!) so I won't be doing much more detailing. Few blobs with the pens and a bit of chipping with the pencil maybe and that'll be it.

I've just cleaned up the tanks with my Molding Flash Sanders - I continue to be amazed by these things. In the bendy Dremel thingy at slowish speed they seem to know what's flash and what's part... spooky.

I'll do a bit more this afternoon but then I'm out for a 'works do', back tomorrow but possibly fragile. I'll post again when there's decent progress.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

Some background. Here's Sergeant Bernard 'Jimmy' Jennings of No 19 Squadron resting on a starter trolley while giving a combat report to the squadron 'spy' (intelligence officer) at Fowlmere, the satellite airfield of Duxford, late September 1940:

large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs

Jimmy's also on the BoB London Monument so his history is here - great stuff.
Here she is as QV-I, presumably with Jimmy at the controls:
large.jpg?action=e&cat=photographs
Right, I'm all fuelled up now! On with the build.
  • Like 6

Somewhere I have a file that 3D Kits gave away which has Spitfire instrument panels on it.

If I can find it, I'll print a copy and post it to you.

Edit. Found it. I can email it to you or print it and post it.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

"I'm really liking the Tamiya detailed brush (pictured on the right) - lovely point and it seems to hold, and apply, the paint better than my others. So much so that I've bought two more, a medium and small flat. Hopefully worth the money, we shall see!"

Yes, Ced for there's is no doubt or question and essential for me, to have very good quality brushes. Much more important than the quality of the colour. You can work with the highest quality colour, but you will get into a mess or mess it up with a cheap, rude and hair loosing brush. Vice versa you can get it right.

Glad it's going foward :popcorn: ( Or should I leave the smileys off. Sorry about that)

P.S.: Hey come on guys! Iron Maiden is the J.S. Bach under the metalheads. If you want it really fast, loud and dirty, then switch over to Lemmy with Motörhead. :winkgrin:

P.P.S.: I always fail to quote partially to previous posts. What the heck... Am I silly? Can anyone help?

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

P.P.S.: I always fail to quote partially to previous posts. What the heck... Am I silly? Can anyone help?

When you have clicked the quote button on the post you are replying to click in the grey box that is displayed in the Reply to this Topic area and delete the parts of the post that you don't need.

HTH

• Like 2

Fantastic progress, your Sptfires insides are looking goog. I do like the look of that brush, I think I may get one next time I'm in the model shop.

• Like 1

When you have clicked the quote button on the post you are replying to click in the grey box that is displayed in the Reply to this Topic area and delete the parts of the post that you don't need.

HTH

Had some thoughts to do that so, but my first thought was to push the quote button and mark the parts I need and save the changes. Anyway thanks. I will try this . Better than copy and paste into a new post. Cheers.

Hi Ced I just searched for a more comfortable version of Maiden's Aces high for you, although the thought of seeing your head banging in front of your Spitfire made me laugh. Haha . Anywhere here it is:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Hello Ced,

Very interesting photo of the fired outboard gun port: not a trace of fabric to be seen inside the hole, just a sharp outline. Filed for future use, many thanks! Nice potrait of Sgt Jennings, too SMILE (sorry, couldn't resist wink*).

By the way, there's no transfer IP hiding around in the box/bag, is there?

Cheese and crackers,

Alex.

*I'd better watch out or The Mods 'n' Rockers will be after me!

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 1

Returned from a pleasant evening / overnight with my team and crikey! You've all been busy in my absence!

Then Britmodeller went down. For over three hours. Cold turkey, gibber gibber... back now though - few!

Somewhere I have a file that 3D Kits gave away which has Spitfire instrument panels on it.
If I can find it, I'll print a copy and post it to you.

Edit. Found it. I can email it to you or print it and post it.

Thanks Simon, saved me again! PM sent with thanks :)

Yes, Ced for there's is no doubt or question and essential for me, to have very good quality brushes. Much more important than the quality of the colour. You can work with the highest quality colour, but you will get into a mess or mess it up with a cheap, rude and hair loosing brush. Vice versa you can get it right.

Glad it's going foward :popcorn: ( Or should I leave the smileys off. Sorry about that)

P.S.: Hey come on guys! Iron Maiden is the J.S. Bach under the metalheads. If you want it really fast, loud and dirty, then switch over to Lemmy with Motörhead. :winkgrin:

Thanks bbudde - I think I've tried more than four types of brushes and had problems with sable 'feathering' and white acrylics hardening up. I think I'm careful to clean after use but I still have to throw them away after a while. Hopefully the Tamiya 'investment' will be a good one (buy hey, they're brushes and not that expensive in the scheme of things).

Fantastic progress, your Sptfires insides are looking goog. I do like the look of that brush, I think I may get one next time I'm in the model shop.

Thanks Ozzy - if you're as insane as I am about small detail on 1/72 cockpit detail I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

Hi Ced I just searched for a more comfortable version of Maiden's Aces high for you, although the thought of seeing your head banging in front of your Spitfire made me laugh. Haha . Anywhere here it is:

All you guys saying you're too old for Iron Maiden....for goodness sake the band members are hitting the 60's lol.
Anyway I'm in for a good time. Thanks my friend :popcorn:

Thanks bbudde, much better and, having listened to the first (new) link, I now realise that the song has lyrics (eventually) and how appropriate they are to the build. I went back to the original and fast-forwarded to the lyrics. Heck, those guys are getting on a bit (as Homer says) and it looks as though they're straining their voices on some notes (and probably other bit of their anatomy in those tight trousers!) :)

Ced, great start to this.... I don't think you will be under 23 pages mind.

Love the back ground pics are very inspiring, great post.

Rob

Thanks Rob :)

Hello Ced,

Very interesting photo of the fired outboard gun port: not a trace of fabric to be seen inside the hole, just a sharp outline. Filed for future use, many thanks! Nice potrait of Sgt Jennings, too SMILE (sorry, couldn't resist wink*).

By the way, there's no transfer IP hiding around in the box/bag, is there?

Cheese and crackers,
Alex.

*I'd better watch out or The Mods 'n' Rockers will be after me!

Thanks Alex. No transfer in the box (I checked twice!) but Beard's coming to the rescue!

If I can bring myself to tackle the smaller Spit gun covers I'll do a step-by-step so you can watch me not achieve the same effect ever again :)

My IPad being a very old first generation model, does not do emoticons so I'll just follow your example.

Smiley face

John

Thanks John. I thought you could use codes on the iPad (worked for Joe) but Alex tells me you need IoS8... sad_face.

More later - just need to regain my nerves after the BM outage, decide on 'how much to paint the cockpit' and wait for Beard's I/p. No pressure Simon :whistle::)

• Like 2

Thanks Simon!

As promised it's in before you can say, um, er...

8399C098-F9FE-4DB0-8A7B-E0E2CFBCAFFF_zpsF8BCEA09-49E5-4830-A721-CEA2DFBA2382_zps

Push fitted the bits together - looks good IMHO:

378D1F15-7FE3-4803-BC98-6D1BA5C3ABB0_zps

I've done a test fit on the fuselage halves and had to trim some of the locating pegs but it's looking good.

I had dropped the control column when fitting it, dropped the interior parts when positioning them in the fuselage and the final straw was when everything fell apart again as I was trying a test fit. I think I should stop now before I break something!

• Like 8

Watch out for the IP being too wide when you try and close it up, some serious sidewall scraping for me as I had an etch IP CA'd on to the plastic so no chance of sanding that...I tacked the interior in with humbrol poly and wiggled everything into place, pics tomorrow om my thread.

Anil

Thanks all!

Phil I haven't touched a drop - yet!

Beard thanks for the tip... I used that technique on my Hurricane but this one has slots in the sides of the bulkheads that fit over the internal strips... I think I'd have to chop things off.

Thanks Anil, I'll watch out for the IP width :)

I'm currently struggling with the length rather than the width*. After all the fiddling with the bits, Jimmy's feet are on the pedals and the back won't join up (both circled). He's glued in as he kept wiggling free. I made sure his head was under the top so the canopy will fit. Those who followed my Dambuster thread will know I'm not averse to a bit of surgery on the crew, so I shaved bits off his feet until the parts fitted:

E009517E-5851-43A5-A42B-8E0B7C463D66_zps67B34127-FADC-4758-B69B-AFEBFA2F0AF3_zps

Now the seat has come loose (not my day) so I've glued it again and will leave it to dry while I have some wine.

* Story of my life, score 1 fnaar fnaar!

• Like 5

Inserting it from underneath does work, I just push the bits in until they 'click' home. You have to be sure your seams are well stuck as it'll pop them out.

One other thing, although you've got a little way to go yet, Airfix forgot the rudder actuator rod. It's easy enough to replicate from a bit of stretched sprue... here are couple of links to illustrate what it looks like (not Mk1s but I don't think that matters):

http://spitfiresite.com/2011/07/guided-tour-of-the-spitfire-pr-mk-xix-the-tail.html/fsc06679a

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/supermarine-spitfire-mk-ix-in-detail/

Quite how you'll do the bolts in 1/72 is down to you. :mental:

• Like 1

snip...

Thanks John. I thought you could use codes on the iPad (worked for Joe) but Alex tells me you need IoS8... sad_face.

snip...

The codes should work on iOS 8 - or any iOS. The problem that I'm having on the iPad at the moment is that non of the toolbars is appearing, either because it's a "mobile" thing, or Apple's Javascript and/or HTML(5) support on iOS (WebKit?) needs a real shake-up. (Having said that, I have had some URL link failures on Safari on the Mac recently which work on other browsers - but I'm really starting to stray OT there.) I use 'coded' smileys all the time because they are easy to remember - especially : popcorn :, big grin and a wink ;).

Cheese sandwiches,

Alex.

• Like 1

Looking excellent! I feel for Jimmy and his ad-hoc orthopaedic surgery! Ouch! Better than what happened to your "T Tommy" rear gunner, though, eek.

Cheese fondue (that's stretching it a bit)

A.

• Like 1

Morning all!

Thanks Simon :) I'm beginning to think I swopped the Spit and Hurricane pilots (don't think so, the Hurri has the old 'flat face' IIRC) so I'm now paranoid about the fitting... you know how I hate filling and sanding (for some reason).

I remember Stew fitting the actuator. Hmmm. Out of the box is going out of the window these days... I must resist! That said I have some plastic rod that I could easily use... as you say :mental:, or at least heading that way.

Thanks Alex - smiley_face. You're right that the 'cheese sign off' options are being stretched a bit - perhaps you've been milking it too much? (See what I did there?) :)

I think the surgery may have done the job. I've spent some time making sure the fuselage fits without the cockpit and sanding the cockpit (probably just removing the paint) so I get the same fit when the cockpit is in. Looking better:

61B2866E-CF0B-48BF-93F4-6A2BBB48E0F2_zps80893FD0-1FAA-4858-92A7-00AAA9963FD8_zps

Note the yellow tip of the Berna clamp ready for the close up. More later!

I've noted a new message in PhotoBucket... "The image editor might not work correctly if Ad Block is enabled..." I have no idea what 'Ad Block' is. I really hope they're not going to 'monetize' the site any more by plastering 'targeted' ads all over the place. I'm really not interested in my funeral costs and I don't think I was mis-sold PPI (or was I?) It's bad enough at the moment waiting for the site to load (slowly) it's offers of framed prints and other... just a minute, checked again and they've gone... oh dear, brace yourself.

One of my mates was telling me that his nephew has a site that let's people vote on babies (I think it may be 'babyvote.com') and it's made him enough money in the last six months to fund a new Audi R8 V10 (and more). [insert your old bloke rant here] :(

• Like 5