Dambuster 'T Tommy' Airfix 1/72

I was lucky enough to attend a talk in April by George 'Johnny' Johnson, the last living British Dambuster. I posted about the talk here and I'm now more than happy to present my attempt at Johnny's aircraft, 'T Tommy'.

The Dambuster's website tells me:

The American Joe McCarthy who should have been the first aircraft away had a last minute problem when he discovered a coolant leak in the starboard (right) outer engine of AJ-Q "Queenie" during the warm up. There was no way "Queenie" would be able to fly, but luckily one spare aircraft had been flown in that afternoon and bombed up in anticipation of a problem somewhere. McCarthy and his crew switched to the spare AJ-T "Tommy" which had not been fitted with the spotlights or VHF radio because there had been no time. McCarthy reasoned that he did not need the spotlights because his target, the Sorpe, did not require the height precision that the other gravity dams did.

Airfix's new(ish) tool A09007 built OOB except the addition of the crew (with thanks to Beard who provided most of them) and Eduard internal PE, painted with Humbrol 33 rattle can and Vallejo Model Air for the camo and matt varnish.

102312F0-7ADC-46EE-84F7-DABD83DC8E25_zps

Bit big for my background - sorry!

61BE3124-8C83-4028-9DC8-2FEB8EFF8E00_zps00D8CE16-72F5-4E7F-8B56-E7D7D51D9AB6_zps

7F2F26C2-340A-420E-A52D-2F9085F3A3D5_zpsF49D3D6A-AEB1-47CA-925F-57640FFB6E0D_zps

C2A8AE06-4206-4536-8C15-6B2F0CB0FF52_zps

More photos, lots of them, in the usual long WiP thread.

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 37

Very good Ced. The bomb aimer looks good as do the photos. An excellent build. :)

• Like 1

. . . and knowing the exquisite level of detail that is hidden within the fuselage makes her even more special. Almost a crime that that stuff gets hidden away. Enjoyed this build too.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Superb Ced, a fantastic finish to a brilliant wip.

Shame she's for the ceiling, I'd have that where everyone could see everything that's been done.

Nice one mate :goodjob:

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I must say I'm looking forward to a few builds that don't take up so much space... And planning a new workspace. I look with envy at people with larger work areas and have plans! :)

Hi Ced,

Great finish to a fantastic WIP. The end result is really impressive and all the care and attention to detail shows in the finished model.

:goodjob:

Your WIP thread will be a reference for my future build of this kit. Thanks for all the tips :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, you're too kind and I am humbled. Probably won't last...

The lawn? It's not a hobby for me but a chore. Looks nice when mown, awful when not, mainly due to neglect, and a builder 'repairing' it with handfuls of grass seed that must have come from the plains of Africa (or somewhere where they have really green, long tough grass).

• Like 1