Convair B-58 Hustler (1/48 Monogram)

Great job Igor, the riveting has come out rather well and the priming looks silky smooth as it'll need to be, like others I'm looking forward to that final metal finish, it'll be fun ! I've also had one of these in the stash for many, many years and only got as far as re scribing it before other things like 'life' got in the way of any further progress, even got the Paul Fisher correction set for it too.....keep at it.

• Like 1

Nice work Igor as everyone else has said the scribing and rivet detail looks great should look even better when you put the metal paint down.

Look forward to more progress.

Guy

Edited by F4u
  • Like 1

More superb work! The rescribing in particular is excellent, I think when I build my B-58 I may have to live with the raised panel lines as I don't think I could get them anyway as neat as your lines!

• Like 1

Love what you've done with this. The engraving and riveting is top drawer, gear and wheel wells detailing equally so, and the vent and window improvements are those things that really set your build apart.

This is the best one I've seen so far from this kit. Definitely.

Al

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Igor, I love what you are doing to simulate the exhaust pattern on the wing undersides. Never before have i seen somebody attempt that.

I think you are doing as good a job as anyone could ask in replicating the skin on a B-58. Many if not all of the honeycomb panels were held in with screws, and then soft aluminium plugs were press-fit in over the holes, and maybe even sanded or ground down flush. I'm sure that had to be a HUGE reason for the high maintenance hour to flight hour ratio, as well as the high price tag. I haven't seen any aircraft manufacturer adopt that technique since.

Anyway, its a hard finish to replicate because they sort of look like rivets but they're not exactly the same thing.

david

Edited by David H
  • Like 1

Lovely work yet again Igor.

Guy

• Like 1

Igor, I love what you are doing to simulate the exhaust pattern on the wing undersides. Never before have i seen somebody attempt that.

I think you are doing as good a job as anyone could ask in replicating the skin on a B-58. Many if not all of the honeycomb panels were held in with screws, and then soft aluminium plugs were press-fit in over the holes, and i guess they were somehow press-fit in place and maybe even sanded or ground down flush. I'm sure that had to be a HUGE reason for the high maintenance hour to flight hour ratio, as well as the high price tag. I haven't seen any aircraft manufacturer adopt that technique since.

Anyway, its a hard finish to replicate because they sort of look like rivets but they're not exactly the same thing.

david

Thank you for a clarification David!

Hello my friend!!! This is fishy! ))) I don't expect to see You and Your's excellent works here till i seen an TSR-2 box art @ that topic. Sounds strange, but it's true/ )))

BTW, that Hustler is more beautiful, than his brothers - agazines! )))

Good luck! Ive been watching to that amazing work!

• Like 1

Late catching up with this but just to say smashing work on this aircraft. This really sets a standard for the rest of us to aspire to. The details and weathering on the cat are also good.

Tony

• Like 1