1/350 Imperial Russian pre-Dreadnought Borodino (Zvezda).

History:

The battleship Borodino was the lead ship of a class of five pre-Dreadnoughts built for the Imperial Russian Navy. Launched in 1901 from the New Admiralty yard in Saint Petersburg, she was intended as an improved Tsessarevitch, however the thickness and coverage of the armour was reduced. Main armament consisted of four 12 inch guns in two twin turrets, twelve 6 inch guns in six turrets, and twenty 11 pdr guns housed in casemates.

Borodino fought against the Imperial Japanese Navy at the Battle of Tsushima alongside three of her sister ships, and was lost due to a magazine explosion after Japanese shells penetrated her armour.

The Kit:

The model is built using Zvezda's 1/350 Borodino; the wooden decks are by Artwox; etch is by Gold Medal Models with the exception of the lifebelts (Lucky Model), and the nameplates which are by North Star. The rigging is Uschi .005mm rigging thread.

DSC02318.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

DSC02320.jpg

DSC02321.jpg

DSC02322.jpg

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02325.jpg

DSC02326.jpg

DSC02327.jpg

DSC02328.jpg

DSC02329.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02332.jpg

Thank you very much for looking in; the build log can be found here in the work in Progress section:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980144-1350-russian-pre-dreadnought-borodino/page-1

Regards,

Ross.

• Like 19

Thanks guys.

I just love these old Russian ships. Your excellent build has turned out a beautiful model. I hope my Tsesarevich comes out as well. :thumbsup:

The French tumblehome influence really adds character to the pre-Dreadnought age; hopefully we'll see a few more examples in injection plastic in the years to come - a Massena or Hoche would be great.

Great Job you must be well chuffed!!

What's next?

Kev

Ship-wise, probably the Trumpeter 1/700 Pyotr Velikiy since I have everything I need to get started. Not sure when that will be though as I've got an AMT 1/1000 USS Enterprise B build on the go; I may make a start on the Kirov class while I'm waiting for the aztek decals.

Cheers,

Ross

Impressive build Ross. What did you use for the rigging? :goodjob:

BillyD

Hi, BillyD, thanks.

For the rigging I used Uschi .005mm elastic rigging thread which I applied slightly slack with superglue, and then tightened it up with the heat from an incense stick. It's great stuff and I found it much easier to work with than stretched sprue, plus being stretchy it can take the odd accidental nudge without breaking.

Cheers,

Ross.

That's got to be a show winner you have produced there - really nice from bow to stern. Nice fine rigging too.

Those old pre-Dreadnaught types look like real bruisers when you can see the whole shape of the vessel rather than just the waterline type.

Very nice paint work - a pleasure to have looked at

• Like 1