Futuristic RAF Transport and Rescue aircraft

Kallisti

How could I resist this What-If?

Lets start off with the kit - I've got a couple of these small ones in the stash - you can usually pick them up off eBay for less than £20. This one is only 7" long which gives it an approximate scale of 1:430. For reference, the one I used in my launch diorama earlier this year is 10" long while the 1:144 scale one I did a couple months back is 21" long - this will be my third Thunderbird 2 model this year!!!

DSC_3633.JPG

Sprue shot

DSC_3634.JPG

Now what I intend to do with this to make it a what if is to use this set of decals from Airscale as inspiration...

DSC_3640.JPG

I will even include the white "over cockpit" panel :)

• Like 7

Lol great idea - I have had many What if's with RAF transport...

What if they could be on time

What if they could actually drop us on the correct DZ

What if there was no good hotels for the aircrew

Etc, etc

This may be the RAF of the future!!

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

What if this stuff doesn't stop leaking on me chief? What happens is he disappears, comes back with a drum of oil and stirrup pump which you then pump for the next 2 hours with an ever growing circle of ex friends around you

Great idea btw, I always liked that brown scheme, before my time of course :-)

Thanks for the interest :)

Well I can't say this is a complicated build, especially as I'm dispensing with the most complex parts of the build, namely the wheels in the pod and the folding legs. To show what I mean here are the instructions for the model

DSC_3635.JPG

So I'm not building the folding legs nor am I including the wheels in the pod. The Pod will be fixed into the fuselage. So to this end, I stuck the upper and lower halves of the fuselage together, attached the pod then used plastic scrap and filler to fill the large holes

DSC_3636.JPG

The tail sections needed a bit of sanding down to get get even - this also helped eliminate the worst of the sink marks

DSC_3637.JPG

The fit of the fuselage halves wasn't great so the joint needed a bit of filling and sanding, but the worst part is alaways the engine intakes and on this model they are particualrly bad, with a join ine runing right through the vertical struts of the intake.

DSC_3639.JPG

As you can see here, I'm using Mr Surfacer to get an even surface over the joint through the middle of the intake, plus some Mr Disolved putty to try to even up the gap across the intake surface. It all looks a lot better after a coat of primer, so of course I forgot to take a photo...

Next job will be the sand colour, then masking for the brown and black undersides... more on that anon...

• Like 2

So with the build complete, we start on the paintwork... first off is an overall coat of sand, followed by masking for the brown, then fianlly some masking for the white flash above the cockpit... this leads to...

DSC_3641.JPG

DSC_3643.JPG

I've painted the underside black and the engine exhausts a custom mix of Tamiya XF-69 Nato black and X019 gunmetal. The white flash took a bit of work to get right - initially it was lopsided as I'd got the masking wrong, so it had to be remasked and oversprayed.

Next is decals!

• Like 6

Like this,a bit scary though. RAF of the future? Is Tim Moff saying we'll only have 2 aircraft, space shuttle,space station and a mini sub? Oh and one armour plated pink tank.

• Like 2

Loving this. Looks fantastic in that cammo.

Tim, let it go, your an ex pongo.. You guys like digging holes, sleeping in the rain, "tabbing", & jumping out of perfectly good planes!!! we are sensible & enjoy home comforts, like nice beds, ceilings and hot water.

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

lovely idea with a scheme i always liked.

Not a problem, glad they arrived safely and looking forward to what you do with the kit - hint hint :)

Anyway the big news today - apart from the amazing mini-heatwave (and other sadder events :( ) is that the RAF has now acquired a new transport vehicle...

DSC_3677.JPG

DSC_3676.JPG

DSC_3672.JPG

DSC_3674.JPG

DSC_3675.JPG

DSC_3673.JPG

RAF Transport is Go!

(Note the serial number ;) )

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 8

Definitely the future of RAF transport! Like it a lot.

I was never a Thunderbirds fan,

Just take a few minutes and think about what you just said........

Graham

No need to think about it, I say it often. :)

In my defence, I didn't see the show until I was in my 20s, by which time I'd also outgrown Dr Who. While I do acknowledge that Mr Anderson did wonders and had some fantastic scripts, it never appealed to me. But then, I read Clarke's 'Rendezvous with Rama' and Asimov's 'Foundation Trilogy' before I was 13, - I grew up with hard SF in my life.

• Like 3