Phantom RF-4B - USMC VMFP-3 - Hasegawa 1/72

Weather is finally suitable for pic taking outside so can now call this one finished. I was inspired to do this USMC recce Phantom when I saw the Phantom SIG display at Telford a few years ago and decided that I needed some of these in my collection! I picked the Hasegawa kit up for a tenner at the Croydon Aeronautical collectors fair a while back, but probably spent three times that on the various decals that were used on this model!

29970626588_ddf6e7ab21_o.jpgrf4h 

The kit comes with lots of spare parts so that any variation of RF-4B can be built from it. There are thick and thin wings, early and late burner cans, early and late ECM fits and different shape photo bays (I think the last four RF-4Bs off the line had a different shape bay). After choosing a scheme from an old Microscale sheet and looking at pics of the real thing I decided that the one I wanted to model whilst in the LGG over White scheme portrayed would have had the thick wings plus early cans and ECM.

42937037445_ba7b31e96b_o.jpgrf4c 

The kit is reasonably straightforward but does need a bit of care joining the front half of the fuselage to the rear, and the bottom insert into the front fuselage. If I were to do another one I might joint the front and rear halves together first to make sure that the transition around the intakes was totally smooth.

42937037395_2123c24961_o.jpgrf4e 

Paints were Xtracrylix LGG over white Tamiya primer which was then misted with Xtracrylix White. Decals were from a Microscale sheet with the insignia from an Xtradecal sheet and the fuselage walkways from a Cam Decals sheet. I found the Cam Decals walkways to be very difficult to use and wrecked two sets of wing walkways because they refused to settle down despite copious setting solutions. In the end I sprayed them which accounts for the different shades!

29970626758_b6c4936083_o.jpgrf4f 

The tail and canopy decking was sprayed Vallejo Insignia Blue - the Microscale sheet gave this colour call out but it wasn't totally clear from colour pics if these areas were blue or black. In the end I started with black and changed my mind and oversprayed with blue. The end result actually looks quite like the pics i.e. a very slightly less intense shade of black so perhaps blue is indeed correct.

42937037585_3c126c5933_o.jpgrf4b 

And finally a massive thanks to Procopius who donated a spare canopy after I managed to lose one of the opening sections. I have never found the missing piece, one of the carpet monsters biggest meals to date! Hope you like - I think this is possibly the most sporty looking Phantom variant, particularly in this paint job!!

29970626988_38761de817_o.jpgrf4d

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 51

Very nice job! We don't see too many finished RF-4Bs.

Just for the record: The first 36 RF-4Bs had the thin wings and angled nose profile. The following seven RF-4Bs had the thicker/bulged wings and angled nose profile, while the last three RF-4Bs had the thicker/bulged wings and rounded/smooth nose profil. All RF-4Bs thicker/bulged wings are in the BuNo 1573xx range.

Jens

• Like 1

All RF-4Bs thicker/bulged wings are in the BuNo 1573xx range.

Whew! That would have been a hard one to fix if I had cocked that up!

Thanks for all the comments guys. My recce collection is coming on well!

Pat

Whew! That would have been a hard one to fix if I had cocked that up!

Thanks for all the comments guys. My recce collection is coming on well!

Pat

Indeed. You could have even by checking your references as several books and web sites mention the last 12 as having the bulged wings and wider main wheels. If was, however, only the last 10. :)

Jens

• Like 1

Simply that is a beautiful build and finish

Top stuff too getting some help from Procopius on a few parts

I've loved the "Phantom" since I built the Matchbox 1/72 back in the day

Yours is seriously well done.

Congrats

• Like 1

Hello Pat,

Always good to see a Phantom on this forum. Even better as it is from the USMC.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1