Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger

Lovely. Can I ask whether you've made any mistakes; spilled glue, stuck something on the wrong way around, snapped a fragile piece, lost a part etc, because it would be nice to know that you are human!

Yes plenty.....Lol

But these are my little secrets!

In honesty the trumpeter KT goes together pretty well. I know Trumpeter are notorious for some fit issues but this Tank, with all its detail and large complex modules is very commendable.

I highly recommend it to anyone who likes AFVs.

The T34 looks to be good and a great deal smaller in the 1/16 if space is an issue?

I'm looking forward to the Jagdtiger release. Although can I face another extremely long build.....?

Cracking work Phil, your getting through the build quite quickly I would say considering just how much there is to do. I particularly like your work on the wooden parts of the ammo racks, looks very convincing.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the exterior. Still going for a Normandy vehicle?

No progress on mine at the moment. Waiting for some parts to arrive so I thought I would take a break. Your going to be finished before me at this rate!

Made a lot of progress again in the last 2 days. Will post pics tomorrow.

Most of the 88 shells are finished and in the racks of the turret. In fact the the turret interior is now mostly finished. The main hull interior is coming together. However the radio stack still needs a lot of mods and work. I'm not happy with it at present. Looks a bit dull and not very well detailed. This is a prominent feature of the interior and the module isn't the best!

The other issue I've found is the spring tension on the barrel stabiliser. It's quite stiff. In fact too stiff. I've reminded the barrel elevation by fitting a bung underneath the spring. Although this is temporary.

The model is getting heavy too. And there is quite a droop on the torque shaft suspension. Have to see what this will look Like with the tracks on?

Edited by Silverstone 2

The Turret:

The interior is now complete including the 88mm shells and racks.

I have to say even though a snug fit, and careful placement while putting the top on, after sliding the mantlet over the spring mechanism....... the roof does actually fit!

IMG_6697_zpsiey8urpq.jpg

IMG_6698_zpssrxbn8g3.jpg

IMG_6700_zps1xo74hdc.jpg

IMG_6701_zpsaiqhlay3.jpg

IMG_6702_zpsudgdvwff.jpg

IMG_6703_zpsqmuyomme.jpg

IMG_6704_zpsm3kuqfuu.jpg

IMG_6705_zpszjbhmkeq.jpg

IMG_6706_zpsodmckxss.jpg

The interior:

IMG_6707_zpsdgqti5t2.jpg

IMG_6708_zps5aevs8aq.jpg

IMG_6709_zpsh2gspvao.jpg

IMG_6710_zpsuerjpvno.jpg

IMG_6711_zpsx9577ib9.jpg

IMG_6712_zpsor1gnnyv.jpg

IMG_6713_zpsshc7lbrt.jpg

IMG_6714_zpsfnyogagk.jpg

IMG_6715_zpsi3ggtip4.jpg

IMG_6716_zpsdkxprnbx.jpg

IMG_6717_zpsklvphymc.jpg

IMG_6718_zpsbla8jw4e.jpg

• Like 3

Phil, have you slept lately or just been working on this flat out?! It's all coming along very nicely indeed. The turret in particular is very nicely done. :goodjob:

A note about the suspension. I would highly recommend that you glue it all in place. I'm not sure if Trumpeter intended it to be workable or not but it is far too weak to take the full weight of the kit. You will have probably noticed by now that it looks like the suspension has collapsed once it's all loaded up.

Also, have you glued the idler wheel arms yet?

Cheers

Matt

No i have not glued the idlers yet, they are dry fit. guess the track tension is quite high?

Ah good. There are two tabs in the hole for the idler arm which you will want to remove. That will allow you to adjust the track tension manually to get it just right. If you just glue it as per the instructions, you will be left with tracks that are overly loose or far too tight.

Tracks on the Tiger II were quite slack. For the most part, the upper run should rest on top of all the wheels except the first. This picture shows the correct tension from the drive sprocket.

jt13.jpg

For when you glue the suspension in place, the ground clearance between the belly plates and the ground (with tracks on) is 31mm at the front and 32mm at the back. It doesn't have to be perfect, a few mill either way won't really be noticable.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Great work, loving the progress you've made recently :)

As for the extra teeth on the drive wheel, this looks to be a very early King Tiger, which had the additional teeth and the more complex track. This will have most likely have been a Porsche turret version so you've no need to worry about yours :)

Keep it up, look forward to seeing more

Great work, loving the progress you've made recently :)

As for the extra teeth on the drive wheel, this looks to be a very early King Tiger, which had the additional teeth and the more complex track. This will have most likely have been a Porsche turret version so you've no need to worry about yours :)

Keep it up, look forward to seeing more

Hi Marty you are right!

I also checked some reference photos and yes only Early Tiger 2s had the extra teeth.

Also checked all other smaller scale 1/35 KT's and they are the same too!

Phil

Phil, have you slept lately or just been working on this flat out?! It's all coming along very nicely indeed. The turret in particular is very nicely done. :goodjob:

A note about the suspension. I would highly recommend that you glue it all in place. I'm not sure if Trumpeter intended it to be workable or not but it is far too weak to take the full weight of the kit. You will have probably noticed by now that it looks like the suspension has collapsed once it's all loaded up.

Also, have you glued the idler wheel arms yet?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

Tracks seem to be pretty god tension wise on the default pegs on the idler wheels.

Guess it depends on individual play on each pin of each of the 92 links....lucky i guess, it's not too tight and it's not too loose.

As for the suspension i'm getting 27 mm Clearance at the rear and about 28.5 mm at the front. not bad i suppose?

I get 2 mm compression approx when the tank settles.

I've got it built-up Dry fit with all parts on except the MG scatter gun, in order to get an idea of weight. excluding paint of course but i that should only make the difference of a few grams.......I hope?

IMG_6720_zpslggqccib.jpg

IMG_6721_zps8wa07rut.jpg

IMG_6727_zpsudem6eox.jpg

IMG_6728_zpsmclq1ksz.jpg

IMG_6730_zpsaegawiln.jpg

IMG_6732_zpsdblen8z2.jpg

IMG_6734_zpscpvjunut.jpg

IMG_6736_zpsdzccnknt.jpg

I need more blue paper, This is a big tank!

Phil

Edited by Silverstone 2
  • Like 3

Two amazing builds of this superb kit on the same forum, really?! :shutup::P:D Anyone want a KT kit?!?! :blink::lol: Coz I either need to up my game or use the box as a coffee table! :rofl: Amazing work and IF I decide to start mine, I will have some superb reference material!!! :clap2::clap2:

Hi Matt,

Tracks seem to be pretty god tension wise on the default pegs on the idler wheels.

Guess it depends on individual play on each pin of each of the 92 links....lucky i guess, it's not too tight and it's not too loose.

As for the suspension i'm getting 27 mm Clearance at the rear and about 28.5 mm at the front. not bad i suppose?

I get 2 mm compression approx when the tank settles.

I've got it built-up Dry fit with all parts on except the MG scatter gun, in order to get an idea of weight. excluding paint of course but i that should only make the difference of a few grams.......I hope?

Hi Phil,

Considering the suspension isn't glued, it's holding up well. Strange as when I built this kit oob a few years ago I found that the suspension was far too weak and just sat on the bump-stops. I'm not sure I would trust the plastic to last long term though and would still suggest you glue it in place, just to be safe. It is sitting a little lower than it should and the tracks are maybe a little too slack but to be honest, only nitpickers (like me! :P) are going to notice. Honestly, I quite like the way it looks, gives a good impression of the weight of the beast.

Your build is really coming along well. The zimmerit looks very smart. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Considering the suspension isn't glued, it's holding up well. Strange as when I built this kit oob a few years ago I found that the suspension was far too weak and just sat on the bump-stops. I'm not sure I would trust the plastic to last long term though and would still suggest you glue it in place, just to be safe. It is sitting a little lower than it should and the tracks are maybe a little too slack but to be honest, only nitpickers (like me! :P) are going to notice. Honestly, I quite like the way it looks, gives a good impression of the weight of the beast.

Your build is really coming along well. The zimmerit looks very smart. Keep up the good work!

Hi Matt,

I agree the planted-look is quite convincing. I did modify the suspension a bit, hexagonal input links were bonded to the extreme position to give the best trailing arm posisition. The track links could be a bit slack. But only by the odd mm I think. See how it looks once the idlers are positioned?

I'm very happy with how it looks so far. It's extremely impressive to look at. So a big "hats off" to Trumpeter for taking the R&D in developing this model!

There are still a lot of improvements to be made to increase the fit tolerance between upper and lower halves. I'm still working on improving the radio stack for the internals.

The outside painting and weathering will take a lot of time I fear! Not sure if I'm going go for the Budapest 224 or the 300 of the western block?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

An update on the King Tiger today.

Exterior painting has started! I've gone off piste with paints being used. I've always used enamels in the past but this time i've gone for Tamiya acrylics.

I do like how thin and even there layers are, took a while to get the right colour-matches for WW2 German tanks. but i think i'm there.

This is the very first paint application. there is still some masking to be done where the missing side guards are and now a lot of detail painting before any weathering can start.....a long process

IMG_6977_zps05x9ru9j.jpg

IMG_6978_zpsp4mtoe8k.jpg

I've removed some of the turret zimmerit too, for a bit of battle damage and also got the tank commander nearly finished. although no face detail yet.

IMG_6979_zpsldigivjv.jpg

IMG_6980_zpsjzqgcgd4.jpg

IMG_6981_zpsmrwekywm.jpg

IMG_6982_zpsondpucse.jpg

IMG_6983_zpsfcxqwudq.jpg

IMG_6984_zpsynbljemu.jpg

IMG_6986_zps0assxg0y.jpg

IMG_6987_zpsgyyh2mli.jpg

IMG_6988_zpsyttdkdsa.jpg

IMG_6990_zpsyw65pl6c.jpg

IMG_6991_zpsghtge7ft.jpg

1:16 vs 1:35

IMG_6992.jpg

• Like 5

More updates to follow....

I've also got the quite far with my modified Hobby Boss Tiger 1 on another thread too. Quite a few external upgrades but no internal detail additions.

Phil

• Like 1