A pair of Airfix Moths ***FINISHED***

I shall be using the new Airfix Tiger Moth kit to build two civilian examples.

Tiger%20Moth%2003_zps8oviazas.jpg

Firstly will be a New Zealand based example that I flew in back in 1992 when it was based in Rotorua. During a 9 week back packing tour of NZ I took a joy ride over Mt Tarawera on New Zealand's North Island. I think it is an ex military example and at the time was owned by Colin Sutherland. The picture below I think was taken after my flight (me on the left). The recent decal sheet released by Xtradecal amazingly carries the markings for this aircraft so I could hardly not choose to build this one.

Tiger%20moth%20ZK%20001_zpsz1dnplfi.jpg

The second build will be G-APFU. Back in 1992 this was based at Goodwood Aerodrome and for her birthday I paid for my girlfriend (now wife of 21 years) to have a flight in (the picture below shows her doing her best Biggles impression just before take off. We had actually met earlier in the year in New Zealand so these two builds represent some very happy memories for me, I just hope I can do justice to the kits. The markings for G-APFU will be made up from other registrations on the Xtradecal sheet.

Tiger%20Moth%20GAPFU%20001_zpsagi2j3l0.j

• Like 5

Two great pictures and two very good reasons for making some Tiger Moths Andrew. I don't know about you but I find that making a model that has some personal connection or meaning is so much more satisfying. Welcome to the GB, I'll look forward to your progress.

Max

• Like 3

Wow I hadn't appreciated how small these Tiger Moths are in 1/72. The only bi-planes I have built over the last few years are Wingnut Wings kits in 1/32 so these seem tiny!

I have added some seat belts to the cockpits but other than that they are straight out if the box. Airfix have done a great job on the detail in the cockpit.

Tiger%20Moth%2004_zpsftd9krmy.jpg

• Like 2

You're right, it does make a nice change to the WnW kits. Funnily enough though the rigging on these Moths scares me more than the WnW kits!

You're right, it does make a nice change to the WnW kits. Funnily enough though the rigging on these Moths scares me more than the WnW kits!

I can see why.....I assume you'll be fitting scale turnbuckles!!! :) :)

Max

• Like 2

At the moment I haven't even decided whether to use stretched sprue or elastic thread for the rigging. I may end up using both - elastic thread for the control cables and stretched sprue for the rigging. As for turnbuckles well I think to preserve my sanity I will leave those for the 1/32 Matchbox Tiger Moth which I have in the stash!

At the moment I haven't even decided whether to use stretched sprue or elastic thread for the rigging. I may end up using both - elastic thread for the control cables and stretched sprue for the rigging. As for turnbuckles well I think to preserve my sanity I will leave those for the 1/32 Matchbox Tiger Moth which I have in the stash!

I've got a set of Gas Patch turnbuckles for my 1/32 build and they're tiny. I agree with you preserving you're sanity about the 1/72 Tiger :)

• Like 1

Yes I'm using Gaspatch turnbuckles too on my Tiger Moths, I've not used them before on a full rigging though I've do a couple of tests with them since, unlike for example Bob's Buckles where you loop the line through and glue, there's no really secure way of attaching the line other than a "butt joint", unless I'm missing something! :)

Max

• Like 1

To secure the line to a Gaspatch turnbuckle you need to use a small length of microtubing ( I use brass). The line goes through the brass tube, through the eyelet in the turnbuckle and back through the brass tube. A dab of superglue on the end of the brass tube will hold it all in place. Try this site http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/ for some excellent tutorials in 1/32 rigging.

Andrew I'm gonna use the late RAF type from Gas Patch and there's no loop in them. A mate used these ones on his Tiger by tying a small knot in the rigging thread, cutting the tail as close to the knot as possible and then butt join it to the turnbuckle. The knot provides etxra surface area for the superglue to contact between the knot and the turnbuckle. He says it's fairly strong as well :)

Andrew I'm gonna use the late RAF type from Gas Patch and there's no loop in them. A mate used these ones on his Tiger by tying a small knot in the rigging thread, cutting the tail as close to the knot as possible and then butt join it to the turnbuckle. The knot provides etxra surface area for the superglue to contact between the knot and the turnbuckle. He says it's fairly strong as well :)

Exactly, Tiger Moths don't have turnbuckles with loops in them, they are late RAF type but they create a potential problem with securing the thread, hence my tests!

DSCN7405_zpsanjxoqcj.jpg

Max

• Like 3

Well I was making good progress on these two last night, I had put a coat of yellow on one of them and was just finishing off the red on the other when I noticed that the anti spin strakes were now on the yellow machine instead of the red one. :banghead: So I had to overcoat the red with yellow and the yellow with red. As you can see from the second picture this was only partially successful, the cowlings were painted separately with a grey undercoat and show a marked contrast. Thankfully after another coat this afternoon things are now looking much better.

Tiger%20Moth%2005_zpsszrxbefd.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2006_zpswz8qilyw.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2007_zpsovprwgkw.jpg

• Like 2

It think the "yellow over red" looks a much warmer colour than the "yellow over grey" to be honest. If you are using RAF trainer yellow it can look a bit to the greenish end of the spectrum. But I'm sure another coat will get it all uniform. They are both looking pretty sharp and I like the interiors.

Regards,

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have now finished these two Moths and I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed building them. For me this is one of the best kits Aifix have ever released, possibly the best in 1/72.

Firstly one more WIP shot before the top wings went on. I attached the central struts to the fuselage first contrary to the instructions that would have you attach them to the upper wings first. This made painting them easier as they could be sprayed along with the fuselage. I also think ut made attaching the upper wing easier as there was a bit of play to alloy the wings to be fixed in the correct alignment.

Tiger%20Moth%2008_zpsz6dsco4n.jpg

Rigging was done with stretched sprue and the control cables are from Fine black EZ line, maybe a bit dark, particularly on the yellow one.

Tiger%20Moth%2009_zpsjtdrgtkr.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2010_zpseksejd4i.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2011_zps3lmfxcrt.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2012_zpsc3sg23nm.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2013_zpsao2ksfdk.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2018_zps1emg1tyk.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2015_zpsosyoep4o.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2016_zpsivqrby29.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2017_zpsngtwyfrg.jpg

Tiger%20Moth%2019_zpsxlgs1xlv.jpg

• Like 8