F-4 Phantom ideas

trickyrich

Ok I will start this off by saying I haven't started another project!!! :whistle:

But......

I was looking at a build on another site for a F-4L but didn't recognise that version so went looking for it (was a designation for so advanced versions including one with RR Spay engines). I dod find it along with a list of other proposals that didn't quite go anywhere;

F-4X - high performance recon version the Israelis had an interest, Mach 3 Phantom anyone?? :wicked:

F-4VG - Phantom with variable geometry wings! :hmmm: hmmm got some spare wings floating about!

and my favourite..

Boeing or IAI Super Phantom - a hot Phantom with a couple of PW1120 engines! Conformal under fuselage tanks! Mach 1 performance without burners! :Tasty: The Boeing one got canned early in development, IAI built one which was showed at the Paris Airshow "F-4-2000" but McDonnell Douglas pulled out of the project because they scared the performance would be equal to the FA-18C/D and eat future sales!

These all sound pretty interesting and other than the VG version a fairly simple build.

I do so have a fondness for the Phantom and have wandered how far along you could developed it, there was a proposal even for an air superiority fighter as well, F-4T.

So I'm throwing this thread open to ideas of where the F-4 could have gone and should have gone, along with a challenge to build some of them!

I'll think about building one but currently have a very full build schedule!! :frantic:

• Like 1

This is a tough one Rich. The F-4 pretty much went through a whole line of upgrades and improvements. Israel and Turkey are good examples of MLU`s.

For me personally, I like the sound of the VG option as I`ve never seen anything like that on the F-4 and I don`t think the other options would change the look of the F-4 or make it stand out.

Of course if you want to go `silly`, a bi plane F-4, a straight winged CAS version or UAV version may be options?

You can NEVER have too many Phantoms Rich. I had an idea (that progressed no further than that ) for the Phantom FGR2 ECC (Enhanced Combat Capability). Definitely comes in to the "silly" category though I think! :lol: . Extended outer wings (possibly with a degree of forward sweep because I think FSW aircraft look UBER cool!!). Longer nose from the F4E fitted (housing the single Mauser 27mm cannon) and brand new V tail replacing the original single fin & tailplanes. No real reason other than the very good one that I think V tailed aircraft ALSO look uber cool!!. Additional hard point under each wing. Absolutely NO idea if it would even work in practice but, who cares!! Where there's a whif, there's a way!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Drawings for the VG version can be found relatively easily, just Google F-4FVS. McDD studied two variants, one with J79 engines for the USN and one with Speys for the RAF

The wing design used was not too different from the one seen in the MiG-23, with the wing moved high at the upper intake lip level

Speaking of unbuilt Phantom variants, originally the Luftwaffe F-4F was supposed to be a lighter and simplified single seat variant

And if you want a very different RAF Phantom, you could try this:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1966/1966%20-%200191.html

I've never seen any drawing for this yet. McDD also offered a stretched Phantom for the FAA, the F-4HL. This was longer, with longer span, smaller sweep angle, no wing dogtooth and larger stabilators

As to where the Phantom could have gone, IMHO it already went farther than most other aircrafts in History ! It outlived most aircrafts of its generation, over which was much more advanced. Just to name a couple, the F-4 entered service the same year of the Lightning and one year after the Sea Vixen and yet replaced both. It's still a feared machine many years after the first flight and is still fighting a war in these very days..

No I agree the Phantom was just one of those designs that just worked for the start. We (the RAAF) should have kept ours and operated them in strike/fighter roles.

In the right hands they were a fearsome beast!

The F-4FVS has a real F-111 look to it....it does have me thinking now!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Dusted off my Revell 1/48 FGR2 (again!) :lol: . Revised my original idea. Now thinking along the lines of something based on the F-4 CCV prototype. Forward canards, Full span l/e slats, extended outer wings (sans dihedral) & V tail replacing the single fin & rudder. Additional underwing hardpoint each side and/or wingtip launch rails. Fill in recesses for the Sparrow/Skyflash AAMs

Allan

If you are going down the CCV route why not use the re-issued Italeri RF instead. I'm sure somebody can source spare tail planes as the orignial canards looked as if McD had pinched them off the back end of one on the production line. If you're into plausible impossibility use the CCV colour scheme. Folding ventral fins ( super Crusader and CCV Mitsubishi T-2)?

Just some ideas.

(Just don't waste the FGR2 - they're going for silly money on e-bay)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going down the CCV route why not use the re-issued Italeri RF instead. I'm sure somebody can source spare tail planes as the orignial canards looked as if McD had pinched them off the back end of one on the production line. If you're into plausible impossibility use the CCV colour scheme. Folding ventral fins ( super Crusader and CCV Mitsubishi T-2)?

Just some ideas.

(Just don't waste the FGR2 - they're going for silly money on e-bay)

Good ideas. Thank you.

Allan

A far simpler idea from me. What about if we kept the real Ark Royal for many a year then a scheme similar to a late service SHAR2? An all over grey with possibly 801 sqd. markings.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...