Eduard's new 1/48th Hurricane wheels - too small?

Anders_Isaksson

I just now got the Eduard items (for the new Airfix Hurricane) out of the pack to take a closer look and compare to the kit wheels.

The former are definately more detailed but... the size difference?

A5285212-AE2C-4A3B-9930-BD4CAE40E926.jpg

I suspect Airfix is closer to the real thing but I am really not sure.

My apologies if this has been already been brought up elsewhere but I could not find any discussion on this matter (yet).

I don't know the actual size of the Hurricane tyres, but just for interest I had a measure up - the Airfix has a diameter of 14.7mm, the Eduard 13.0mm and the Hasegawa kit is 14.0mm. So it could be that the Airfix is too big and the Eduard is too small!

Both the Airfix and Eduard have the same wheel diameter but Hasegawa is 1mm less in diameter.

Edited by Tbolt

from what I can gather Hurricane main wheels were 25.4" diameter - which equates to approx 13.44 mm in 1/48th scale -so ......

Jonners

So the Eduard ones would be closer in size than the Airfix ones then.

The Airfix tyres are the same sizes as the MDF drawing, though if you put the Airfix wheels up to the bay cutout they don't fit through it, despite a pair of the wheels being designed for gear up! Also the 'up' wheels also have flat spots on them!

Edited by Tbolt

FWIW

the Hurricane II manual

Wheels

Type A.H.O. 10019 or A.H.8123, I.V.V.12, I.V.V. 13 OR I.V.V. 17, 8 X 10 1/4 inch

Tube I.V.V.8

also, see this http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935348-size-of-main-wheel-hubs-of-the-hurricane-and-same-hubs-as-spitfire/

but IVV.12 was Size 8.00 - 10.25; type "EX.HY" (extra heavy?); inflated sizes nominal 25.4 diameter/7.8 width, maximum 26.0/8.1; inflation pressure 35-45psi depending on load; rim sizes width 5.0/diameter 10.25; on a split type wheel.

Edgar

26 inches is 660.4 mm / 48 = 13.76

I don't know the actual size of the Hurricane tyres, but just for interest I had a measure up - the Airfix has a diameter of 14.7mm, the Eduard 13.0mm and the Hasegawa kit is 14.0mm. So it could be that the Airfix is too big and the Eduard is too small!

Both the Airfix and Eduard have the same wheel diameter but Hasegawa is 1mm less in diameter.

It has been noted that the Hasegawa wheel hubs are too small.

A cheap fix is use the leftover hubs from Eduard Spitfire, drill out the Hase hubs with a 6 mm drill, and fit the new hubs. Also an easy way to make 5 spoke hubs for a Hurricane.

The Hase hub error was then copied by Classic Airframes and Ark in their kits.

I'd be wary of the Modeller Data File drawings, even the 'Gold Standard' Bentley ones possibly have problems, and the MDF is not a very good guide.

I don't have the updated one, but the old one certainly did not have correct details of prop and spinner combinations or details of Mk IV wing panels.

The Airfix wheels are bigger than the Bentley drawings though.

HTH

FWIW

the Hurricane II manual

also, see this http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935348-size-of-main-wheel-hubs-of-the-hurricane-and-same-hubs-as-spitfire/

26 inches is 660.4 mm / 48 = 13.76

It has been noted that the Hasegawa wheel hubs are too small.

A cheap fix is use the leftover hubs from Eduard Spitfire, drill out the Hase hubs with a 6 mm drill, and fit the new hubs. Also an easy way to make 5 spoke hubs for a Hurricane.

The Hase hub error was then copied by Classic Airframes and Ark in their kits.

I'd be wary of the Modeller Data File drawings, even the 'Gold Standard' Bentley ones possibly have problems, and the MDF is not a very good guide.

I don't have the updated one, but the old one certainly did not have correct details of prop and spinner combinations or details of Mk IV wing panels.

The Airfix wheels are bigger than the Bentley drawings though.

HTH

Good idea for using the Hasegawa wheels.

As for the MDF drawing, I never trust drawings unless I can verify them - The MDF Spitfire Mk.IX fuselage drawing is fairly close to Hasegawa 1/48th scale fuselage!

The Hurricane four-spoke wheel is the same part number as the four-spoke Spitfire wheel (AH10019) introduced in 1944, which rather hints they were the same diameter.

The Brassin Hurricane wheel size is the same as the wheel in the Eduard Spitfire kit, if they are correct.

The thing that annoys me with these wheels is the use of 3D renders - this image made me think that the wheel hub are separate, which would make painting easier, but the front hubs are molded as part of the wheel.

648229_3.jpg

The thing that annoys me with these wheels is the use of 3D renders - this image made me think that the wheel hub are separate, which would make painting easier, but the front hubs are molded as part of the wheel.

Yes, the hubs are unfortunately moulded in place. But Eduard do provide masks to make painting a little easier.

Not as good as having separate hubs but a little better.