1/35 Tiger 1, Tunisia

This is my first armour post here, Tamiya's 1/35 Tiger 1 (Afrika). Lots of mods to portray an initial Tiger 1 of the 501st Battalion in Tunisia, AFV workable early Tiger tracks (plastic), photo etch screens, and painted in a "troppen 1" scheme of RAL 8000 and RAL 7008 using Tamiya acrylics, Hope you like.

1_zpswonsjxz2.jpg

2_zpsj5s0r1s6.jpg

4_zpsgmnfo3r6.jpg

3_zpswvswclgp.jpg

I wasn't sure how much could be seen through the screens, so I scratch built fuel tanks, rads, and fans - as it turns out not much is visible - Oh well ...

5_zpsx2egrggi.jpg

6_zpsrk9mgcsj.jpg

7_zpsxds9jpb7.jpg

8_zps7ofacmts.jpg

Comments always welcome, thanks for looking,

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 23

I know that the detail you've added is near invisible, but it is very well done so respect for that. Overall, that's a damn fine Tiger.

Superb looking Tiger, Colin. I applaud your attention to detail in areas that can't really be seen, you've shown a lot more dedication on that front than I ever would!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. The Tamiya Tiger is a fun build, and with a little work, I don't think it looses very many points compared to the latest Dragon offerings. My biggest concern was getting the paint correct. I had read about the care with which the Bovington Tiger colors had be researched, and that the other captured Tiger (that went to Aberdean) was painted similarly, and I tried to replicate that extremely low contrast look - I may have gone to far, but, I'm still happy with the look.

I'm still considering a bit more weathering, but haven't really decided yet.

Colin

That is one well done Tiger!

What are your mixes for the colors?

The contrast seems correct in my view. For years, the colors on the real tanks were thought to be some form of Olive Drab or Green. Only recently was it realized both sPzAbt 501 and 504 Tigers were RAL 8000 and 7008.

Curiously several Tigers from 501 have Feifels, the piping and muffler shields painted RAL 8020.

G

What are your mixes for the colors?

The contrast seems correct in my view. For years, the colors on the real tanks were thought to be some form of Olive Drab or Green. Only recently was it realized both sPzAbt 501 and 504 Tigers were RAL 8000 and 7008.

Thanks, the mixes were with Tamiya acrylic's:

RAL 8000 - XF 59(1), XF 60(1) and for the RAL 7008 I started with the RAL 8000 mix, and added XF 62(1) - found the contrast was too stark, so I cut the green by 50% - so - it was XF 59(2), XF 60(2), XF 62 (1).

It was fogged with an irregular pattern of heavily thinned RAL 8000 mix, Then again with heavily thinned deck tan.

• 2 weeks later...

Missed this...

I really like it, so much has been discussed about these very early Tigers, makes me nervous to build one, however this is just superb may just add the Tamiya (or Italeri) kit to the Christmas list.

Ian.