DeHavilland DH106 Comet - 1/72 - Finally done!

The result is well worth your trials and tribulations. Plus, you will have much more pride in this one than you would with a shake and bake. Excellent work - perseverance pays off! :)

Cheers,

Bill

>>> For starters, the kit itself, made by the now defunct Fliegerhorst of Germany, is crap. I paid (or rather my parents did, as it was a birthday gift) over 100 euros for it, and there can’t be a model kit that is worse value for money than this one.<<<

That's only because you never tried to build the Fliegerhorst Junkers G-38! I too spent a large amount on that one, had the weighty resin shipped from Germany, and just about cried when I actually took a close look at it. I have since sold it on, and my standing condolences for whomever spent the money to buy it.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for a new batch of very kind comments!

That's only because you never tried to build the Fliegerhorst Junkers G-38! I too spent a large amount on that one, had the weighty resin shipped from Germany, and just about cried when I actually took a close look at it. I have since sold it on, and my standing condolences for whomever spent the money to buy it.

It's a real shame that we have such limited and disappointing options if we want to build iconic aircraft like these; I'd love to do a G-38 but I don't love it as much as the Comet, so I'm not burning my fingers on another Fliegerhorst product :D

Great looking model, congratulations! Worth the hard work.

I had a go myself at building the Hannants Comet 4B kit over the spring, summer and autumn 2015, and I am NOT at all happy with the results. Below, you'll find a link to a blog I threw together halfway through the process, in order to document my frustration.

I have deliberately not adopted my own, home-made fixes to appallingly bad issues, like the decals for example. I have used the original ones from the kit (actually, two sets, coz the first one fairly disintegrated) so that you can see exactly how bad this is, for a kit costing, overall, 125 quid.

Now I am not an expert modeller by any means, and some of the issues are entirely my own doing and not Hannants'. I have tried to be honest with this in the blog.

I will this spring do a "partial rebuild" in which I will repair the pocked right front fuselage and reapply decals and possibly reapply some paint here and there - the masking occasionally leaked.

Here is the link to the blog (divided into part 1 and part 2) if you want a larf at my expense:

http://mycomet4disaster.blogspot.fr/2015/10/hi-there.html

Enjoy!

Mark

Interesting read, sounds you had your own Comet problems :)

Edited by sroubos

If it really is that crappy, Kevin, then more praise for his impressive build!!!!! :)

Absolutely! To get a good looking model from a Fleigerhorst kit (and it sounds similar to the G-38) should win some sort of special award. The Merlin/Unicraft Trophy perhaps? I really should have noted the quality of the final result in my first post. :sorry:

I can see why you like this aircraft, it is certainly interesting and beautiful to look at.

It may have been a struggle but the reality is that you probably now have the best looking one in the world, a true work of art. Well done.

Nice job! I think this is the first I've seen of this kit built up. This is very interesting to me as I have a copy of this kit that I haven't started yet. I had not seen your in-progress thread, and comparing your kit to mine, I wonder if Fliegerhorst didn't totally rework it. The resin in my kit is very hard, for example. The fuselage has a cutout for the cockpit with two options: a resin part with open framing or a clear vacuform part. The tail section is a separate part. And the scribing & fit (as far as I've taped it together at least) isn't too bad. Finally, my decals look nicely printed by F-DCAL.

I'll take some photos and start another thread.

John, there are indeed two versions of this kit from Fliegerhorst. I think mine is a later and slightly simplified kit, as I had read a review of the kit on Hyperscale before I ordered it and the kit I received was quite different. The older (?) kit has separate flying surfaces and it is likely the version you have. Brett was rather enthusiastic about it but I'd love to hear his opinion after he actually built it!

http://kits.kitreview.com/fl006reviewbg_1.htm

Tom Cleaver also had this version of the kit and he did built it. It appears he disliked it quite a bit, as I did mine, so I suppose it's a toss up which version is best (or rather, worst).

http://modelingmadness.com/review/civil/airlines/tmccomet.htm

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1