Arnhem 1944

Alan 47

Cheers guys I appreciate that :)

Very nice, great setting - can I ask how you made the base?

The base is just a piece of MDF , I have a mate who makes display bases for models , he will make any size and any design you need :) he's quite reasonably priced as well

His company is called just bases if you want the info pm me I've got his number :)

I can recommend Just Bases to anyone in the market for said items.

Very reasonable prices and Paul is a very amenable fella. You can find him at a lot of model shows (Telford SMW, Milton Keynes and Hornchurch, to name but a few).

Cheers.

Chris.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Great dio and superb subject,...... it was learning about the Airborne Medics at Arnhem as a kid which made my mind up for the career that I would follow and I was lucky to have met lots of Arnhem veterans and made friend with a few, I even jumped into Arnhem in 1988.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow not sure if my parent were there that year @tonyot but they have been many times.  My grandad is buried in Oosterbeek not airborne but infantry coming up the road.  His grave was adopted by a marvellous lady who I had the privilege to meet when I was a kid.  She was a nurse at the Arnhem hospital through Market Garden.  She didn’t say a lot but said they kept on looking after the casualties regardless of who controlled the hospital.  Lovely jolly lady though who made me & my family very welcome when visited.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, bar side said:

Wow not sure if my parent were there that year @tonyot but they have been many times.  My grandad is buried in Oosterbeek not airborne but infantry coming up the road.  His grave was adopted by a marvellous lady who I had the privilege to meet when I was a kid.  She was a nurse at the Arnhem hospital through Market Garden.  She didn’t say a lot but said they kept on looking after the casualties regardless of who controlled the hospital.  Lovely jolly lady though who made me & my family very welcome when visited.

I jumped in, in 1988 mate and respct to your Grandad. The schoolkids of Arnhem/Oosterbeek started to adopt graves after the war and it carried on to the present day,...... some have compiled files about the dead soldier which they pass on to the next child,..... but many of the original kids carried on tending `their' grave all of their lives, but unfortunately they are now in their old age and are popping off too. One of the most moving things I saw was during the Sunday service in the cemetery when all the kids came in carrying flowers and laid them on the graves,...... wasn`t expecting it and it suddenly got very dusty!  My missus works at a primary school and after telling her of this we convinced the school to adopt a similar thing in the church grave yard for the Armed Forces graves on Remembrance Day.  

• Like 2

@tonyot my mum & dad have since the 1980s been going over from time to time but they are getting old now.  Both quite active but in their 80s.  When they first opened Oosterbeek local people took in the war widows when they came over and adopted the graves.  This is where my gran and mum met up with the lady in Arnhem.  Since then the local children have always placed flowers on the graves.  My mum got chatting to some German veterans one year.  All very pleasant but she always remembers one thing they said.  They couldn’t understand why every year the British came back to Arnhem to remember a battle they lost.  I guess they had a point!

One year they went to the village where my grandad died and were walking around the streets.  They got chatting to an old Dutch guy who told them that he lived there when it happened and took them to the spot where a German machine gun had been set up and the corner he came round to find it.  Sadly most of that generation are now gone but it’s good to keep the stories alive.  In a strange twist my other grandad was artillery, and a always remember the look in his eyes when he said that he couldn’t have been more than a field away when it happened.  Obviously my mum & dad were just little pre school kids at the time.  Strange who things work out.

• Like 3