American Hurricane`s,........Hurricane Mk.II x 2 in USAAF Service!

Hiya Folks,

I may not be widely known but the USAAF used a number of Hawker Hurricane Mk.II`s as unit hacks in the Middle East and the Airacobra equipped 350 Fighter Group even converted some of theirs into 2 seaters, as seen here;

gb2pl1r_zpsvpqknrvc.jpg

and one was painted overall white;

USAAF%20Hurricane%202%20seater%20350th%2

Some bore standard RAF roundels but others had USAAF markings.

Now I did toy with a 2 seater conversion and may do one in the future but for now I chose to reproduce 2 single seaters, first BP654 which wears a fearsome sharkmouth and appears to have had the upper surfaces refinished in Olive Drab,....here is the real thing;

usaaf%20Hurricane%20bp654%20350th%20fg-2

USAAF%20Hurricane%20BP654%20350th%20FG_z

And here is my effort at reproducing it,....using the 1/72nd scale Revell Hurricane Mk.IIb;

DSCF5416_zps2awyystm.jpgThe sharks mouth was hand painted and the decals came from the spares box although i`ve just realised that the light coloured exhaust stain still needs to be applied! The canopy is from Sqn/Sig as the kit item is rubbish, the cockpit has been moved forward with the `dog house' filled in and the trailing edge of the wing has been `trimmed' in order to reduce the chord as the Revell wing is too big;

DSCF5418_zpsb7hxqrjk.jpg

DSCF5419_zpsebgexptx.jpg

DSCF5417_zpskmqxmm4g.jpg

DSCF5421_zpsncpep4hr.jpg

DSCF5422_zpswbdz3frd.jpg

DSCF5445_zpsmunbt0eh.jpg

And here is the other Hurricane, although only the partial serial KZ can be made out;

Hurricane%20USAAF%20KZ%20serial%20desert

Looking into this I found only a few KZ series Hurricane`s assigned to the USAAF in the Med and I chose to depict my model as KZ492, but could not find out which unit it belonged to. The model is the Legato 1/72nd scale Hurricane Mk.IIc kit with a Sqn Sig vacuformed canopy although now that I`ve seen the blown up photos I`m a bit disappointed with how it looks,....my eyes are certainly going and I`m struggling with canopies in Brail Scale! The dark and light blue of the upper wing star were hand painted over the top of a star and bar decal with the bars cut offs;

DSCF5453_zpsbuatpyuz.jpg

DSCF5457_zpstf24v8qd.jpg

DSCF5449_zps7nsxuxyt.jpg

DSCF5455_zpspaoxvwg4.jpg

[/url]

DSCF5413_zpsgwnc5tce.jpg

DSCF5414_zpssxobsbul.jpg

DSCF5446_zpsngwek6ou.jpg

And here are both models together;

DSCF5410_zpsnau5pkp1.jpg

I hope that you like these `different' looking Hurricane`s and my thanks to the 350 FG Association for making their photos available on line and they have been reproduced here under fair use.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 47

Very nice builds indeed. Interestingly I have the Airfix Operation Torch kit which features a Swordfish and Hurricane in "US markings". According to the description, both aircraft were in FAA service and American markings were painted in an attempt to convince the anti-British Vichy French to switch sides.

Interesting post Tony. Interesting too that the Yanks were willing to leave the RAF roundels on some of the aircraft. I do like to painted over roundels with the stars. Thanks for sharing.

Colin

I've always liked seeing RAF a/c dressed up with the stars and bars and those are two beauties. I still have a Mossie PR XVI and a Beau to do in US markings

Hi Tony

These are excellent. Especially the sharkmouth job.

As for the old mince pies, I can sympathise - which is why I've recently added some 1/32 kits to the stash!

Ian

Nice work!

and one was painted overall white;

I think not overall - the u/c and perhaps bottom of the central part of wing and bottom of the rear part of fuselage - they look really dark (black?).

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Thanks everybody for your kind words and understanding about the onset of poor eyesight!!!

Lovely job and interesting subjects.

May I ask, when you trim the trailing edge of the wing on this kit, do you have to rescribe the join or is the aileron too wide too?

John.

Hiya John,

If you are careful and are not over bothered about the ailerons and flaps being 100% correct then you don`t have to rescribe anything! I wrote an article about this conversion years ago for SAM magazine and still use the cardboard template that I made for that article to mark out the wings of Revell Hurri`s today. I pencil the cut mark onto the plastic and double check that the cut runs level with the flaps and ailerons. OK it leaves the ailerons/flaps looking a bit too narrow but it is much easier to leave them be than to fill them in and re scribe them,......you could even trim the wings less,..it is up to you. I prefer a more accurate outline and can live with slightly narrow ailerons/flaps.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Love it when I learn something new about aircraft through modelling.

And love the builds too!

Hello,Tony - Congratulations on a couple of splendid looking Hurricane builds.Up to your usual standard! To be honest,they're not a subject I'm overly familiar with and this is the first time that I've seen the Hurricane in these schemes.As a modelling subject,they're very different and I like them a lot.The shark mouth markings really suit the type as well.Good job,well done.All the best,Paul.

Hi

nice buid :)

I like the sharkmouth photo looks like it is eating the HE III in the background :)

I wonder if the KZ hurricane photo was ortho film and the stars and bars outline should be yellow

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry