Badger Stynylrez Primer - thoughts, reviews, alternatives

Homerlovesbeer

Hi guys,

After my frustrations with AK Interactive grey primer I'm after a good alternative that sprays through an airbrush easily, goes on nicely and doesn't scratch off if you accidentally run your finger nail across it. After a bit of looking I'm thinking of trying Badger Stynylrez primer.

Has anybody tried it?

There are a lot of positive reviews online.

Used it today to spray a car body.

Had to thin with ultimate thinners basically because i could not be bothered to change needle.

Good coverage and dried fairly quickly.

Came across a couple of mold lines that i thought were supposed to be there running from wings though

airdam.

I sanded these down with sanding stick and the primer just feathered away like auto primer or Tamiya with no ill effects.

Sanded the primer down with micro mesh and gave it another coat as plastic was bright yellow and i missed areas.

Left a couple of hours and gave it a coat of Tamiya yellow.

Cleaned airbrush with Ultimate airbrush cleaner ready for tomorrow.

Up to now i have no complaints but i have some masking to do so will update in the next couple of days.

I watched Red Dragons Youtube review on this and i would confirm if the car had been white i would have gloss coated the primer i got so good a finish.

I have had an issue in the past using Vallejo primer i masked a motorcyle to do slight touch up, gloss coat ,decal and base coat and primer all came off together

i swore a lot and the kwacker was binned.

Might have stripped if i could have got replacement decals,

Edited by stan
  • Like 1

My limited use of Stynylrez mirrors the positive experience you've seen in the YouTube reviews. Like stan above, I've also found that it needs some thinning (others argue against it because it supposedly becomes less of a 'primer' when thinned, but I'll continue to thin it into the future as it passes more easily through the airbrush).

I bought mine from 'The Combat Company' in Sydney; their postage is reasonable and service is prompt. Unfortunately they don't appear to have much in stock currently, but my humble suggestion is to buy one each of the small (2oz) bottles in black and white and give them a try - I'd be very surprised if you regretted it.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of buying some too but the UK supplier is waiting for the grey to arrive from the US.

Beware (in the UK) the Amazon supplier who's listing 4 oz bottles for £81.03 (should be about £10) and 32oz for £124.70+ £29.26 delivery

See my post here :)

I'm back into modeling after a 30+ year break.

I've read a heck of a lot in the last month or so on different forums regarding paints/glues/fillers/air brushes/ect. I placed my order the other day for my first batch of "set-up" equipment. Due to my extensive reading I was confident that I had bought the right "brand" of items in everything except the primer. I ended up purchasing both AK Primer & Mr Surfacer 1200 because I really wasn't confident in what primer to buy. If Vellejo wasn't nil stock at the time I would of bought that as well as I can't find any real consensus on what Primer to use and was going to trial all three and make my own mind up.

AK Interactive grey primer & Vellejo are two classic example of mixed reviews. Some people swear by it while others like the OP can't stand it. Vellejo also has been given the great thumbs down in this thread. Is it just a matter that the cure time for some primers is just too long, or the nozzle too small when spraying causing clogging, or are there real genuine issues with both these primers?

Homer, I'd love to know what your frustrations was with the AK product as it is one of the primers I have purchased. Rather know what pitfalls you encountered before I stumble into them myself while trialing it.

Edited by Taipan61

You cannot go wrong with Mr Surfacer from what i have read although i have not used it as it`s not

something my local shops sell.

AK primer is getting similar reviews to Vallejo although both cure they can peel off when masking or sanding.

There are enough opinions on Vallejo on this forum and many more .

The ones i have used with no issues are Rattle cans first Tamiya primer,Citadel Scull white,Halfords plastic primer and

i have used a number of cheap cans from the pound shop on resin and vinyl kits.

Also spraying Alcad primer from my airbrush which is lovely stuff but i would prefer an easier cleanup so i looked around for an alternative.

Which brought me to Badger sprayed though my airbrush and although the signs are good it`s to early to make a judgement.

At the moment its drying fast and sands lovely .

Don`t forget youtube as a source of help and inspiration .

Enjoy the hobby and the site although that profile pic sends shivers up my spine ,bit of an Indiana Jones when it

comes to snakes.

Stan

• Like 2

hehe, my little mate is a beauty, isn't he :)

Thanks Stan for you advice. I really want to be able to spray a good reliable Acrylic primer and hunted high & low for the Badger product in my neck of the woods and drawn a blank. I'm mainly against enamel as I'm in an enclosed environment (garage) and have a couple of young ones around, so really trying to avoid enamel at all costs. It does seem though that I might not have a choice and will have to go with an enamel primer like Mr Surfacer 1200. It's either that or the good old rattle can. There does seems to be a heck of a lot of love out there for air brushed Enamel primers, and so many mixed reviews for airbrushed Acrylic primers.

Edited by Taipan61

I've got a set of the 3 colours in the small bottles, not had any joy with my usual airbrushes as they all have needle sets smaller than .5mm and just block up.

I've got an iwata suction feed hp-be2 with a 0.8mm needle set and that sprayed it well, but that only uses syphon bottles so wastes loads.

On the plus it did brush nicely, all the brush lines settled out as it dried.

Edited by andygif290368
  • Like 2

Some has just arrived in the UK here. I've ordered a 2oz grey and, knowing my luck, it'll be the best thing since sliced bread and they'll be out of stock when I need some more!

• Like 1

I purchased on Amazon Usa 10 days ago and they still have no idea when they'll ship. I think Badger must be completely

http://www.barwellbodyworks-shop.com/144-primer-under-coat

Recently restocked including the new colored range.

Had plenty this morning i ordered a number of bottles .

Really impressed with this .

• 1 month later...

Used in anger today on my Blenheim and Defiant and I'm still impressed (as long as you don't scratch it for a couple of days):

22169305679_696b4a44bc_z.jpg

One of the biggest pains with other primers I've tried is clean up. The Vallejo stuff really sticks in the AB, probably due to its 'plastic' nature.

The Badger stuff is much easier (Stynylrez - I can even type the name now without looking at the bottle... well OK, I did check but I had spelled it correctly). I blew a few ml of cleaner through and checked the needle:

22342635492_5bd4051d9e_n.jpg

Tiny bit by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Easily cleaned, as was the AB. Three paper points through the nozzle and it was clean (and I don't think the gunk on the cotton bud from the nozzle guard is all primer is it - what a dirty chap...)

21734715903_f7848cd4f3.jpg

Cleanup by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

OK, I'm a convert!

Edit: I sprayed at about 25psi (10 more than my normal setting) with a 0.4mm nozzle, opening up quite wide to avoid drying.

• Like 4

Looking very nice, Ced: very clean and crisp. I was wondering where those photos ended up ;).

It looks as though demand has outstripped supply, on this side of the globe at least. The search links with stock that showed up last time I looked are now all out or not appearing. It looks as though Badger completely underestimated demand - and/or their pilot stocks ran out much more quickly than expected. Which is good for them, of course :).

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 2

Same in the UK Alex... the one supplier here was 'waiting for supplies from the US' for some weeks. I now have four bottles which should keep me going :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A quick Update guys. The primer is really good, far better than AK Interactive goop. Here are some pics of some parts I've recently primed. It goes down very nicely and sprays through my Iwata HP-CS 0.35mm needle without drams, no thinning needed.

Under body before

underbody_zps5likpn0c.jpg

After

prime%20underbody_zpsorxm510x.jpg

Painted

paint%20underbody_zpspzinqtub.jpg

Engine before and after (before is black)

engine_zpsr496hjrc.jpg

engine%20primed_zpsn6ovlewp.jpg

Painted with Carbon fiber decal

carbon%201_zpslrt35yp7.jpg

I hope this helps guys,

Cheers,

Homer

• Like 5

@ HLB: wow! Funtastic, to quote the Ninth Doctor.

@ Ced: HLB kindly replied to a PM earlier this morning, suggesting thecombatcompany.com. I had recently ignored the retailer when I didn't see a .au at the end of the main part of the url; knowing in the back (way outback!) of my mind that quite a few Oz-based sites drop the "au". Silly me.

@ Both: As I said to Homer, it isn't really an urgency, given the current seemingly snail-like progress of the DIY shed to do (DIY) modelling in. The current hold-up is a faulty DIY resin pump*, and I won't get the DIY replacement until next week, grizzle grizzle.

Those primer coats are the bee's knees and the ant's pants! As is the rest of the painting, etc. :).

Cheers,

Alex.

* I could, of course, pour straight from the bottle, but it's less accurate so I will wait

• Like 2

Hi guys.

I must agree about stynylrez being an excellent product in use (it sprays beautifully, dries quickly, sands well and polishes to a good gloss).

But, for me, it's a devil to clean out of the airbrush to such an extent I've been using cellulose thinners which I don't want to.

Anyone got a magic answer to this problem?

Dave

• Like 1