Badger Stynylrez Primer - thoughts, reviews, alternatives

Homerlovesbeer

Hi guys.

I must agree about stynylrez being an excellent product in use (it sprays beautifully, dries quickly, sands well and polishes to a good gloss).

But, for me, it's a devil to clean out of the airbrush to such an extent I've been using cellulose thinners which I don't want to.

Anyone got a magic answer to this problem?

Dave

I agree fingers,

It does spray beautifully however I MUST do a full strip and thorough clean of my Iwata HP-CS airbrush EVERY time I use it otherwise I start to have issues. Once the Stynylrez starts to dry (pretty much seconds after I put it into the paint cup! 28-30°C here probably doesn't help) it's a hellofa pain to clean. I've tried water, IPA, all purpose thinners etc, the ONLY thing that cleans it is MR Tool Cleaner R, but I still have to take the needle cap and needle out and thoroughly clean.

What do others do? We have no cellulose thinners here in Aus so I can't even try them.

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 2

Ultimate's cleaner seems to work for me Homer but we don't get anywhere near 28°C here!

My bottles of Stynylrez say to clean the AB immediately using MODELflex airbrush cleaner, Badger's own... can you get any of that?

I've tried Ultimate cleaner with limited and not acceptable results, vallejo cleaner the same, even tesco household cleaner but nothing shifts it except cellulose thinners or a strip and bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Dave

• Like 1

I agree fingers,

It does spray beautifully however I MUST do a full strip and thorough clean of my Iwata HP-CS airbrush EVERY time I use it otherwise I start to have issues. Once the Stynylrez starts to dry (pretty much seconds after I put it into the paint cup! 28-30°C here probably doesn't help) it's a hellofa pain to clean. I've tried water, IPA, all purpose thinners etc, the ONLY thing that cleans it is MR Tool Cleaner R, but I still have to take the needle cap and needle out and thoroughly clean.

What do others do? We have no cellulose thinners here in Aus so I can't even try them.

Yes you do, Cellulose thinners is Laquer Thinners in Aus.

• Like 2

How do you even say that name? It's horrid! :S That said though, it's easier to get now because it is being sold by Ultimate Products, which gives a clue as to how well they regard it. We've got a few bottles in to review, do watch for it over the next week or so :)

• Like 3

Hi guys.

I must agree about stynylrez being an excellent product in use (it sprays beautifully, dries quickly, sands well and polishes to a good gloss).

But, for me, it's a devil to clean out of the airbrush to such an extent I've been using cellulose thinners which I don't want to.

Anyone got a magic answer to this problem?

Dave

Obviously a very good primer: will prepare any surface (including the inside of an airbrush) ready for painting, and won't easily be removed. What are you complaining about!

Obviously a very good primer: will prepare any surface (including the inside of an airbrush) ready for painting, and won't easily be removed. What are you complaining about!

Please read original post, no complaint about the job it does, I just want to know a less toxic product for clean up.

Dave

One of the "cellulose thinners" that I use, apart from the one in the nice picture from HLB above, is straight acetone. A bit too volatile for airbrush use, though, and probably detrimental to the airbrush seals and other polymeric internals.

I unfortunately now have a learnt aversion to pretty well anything from Vallejo/MIG/AKI, et alia. Water (demineralised) and meths sounds good to me - plentiful and (relatively) cheap!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

I assume they're talking about methylated spirits and not crystal meth, though I could be wrong... they're 'down under' and have their own version of the Queen's language, don't you know old boy... oh, sorry ICMF, I see you're in Canada... and I'm in Zummerzet, ooo arrrr! :D

Nice photo of two modellers preparing for a priming session though. I wonder where I can get a pair of those gloves and a mixing flask?

• Like 3

Meths = methylated spirits = metho, the latter being possibly the more common abbreviation. As Ced says of the UK, "meth" here would mean "crystal meth(amphetamine)". Metho also has an association with those poor unfortunates who drink the stuff and suffer accordingly (as in "metho drinker").

Maths, of course, is maths.

@ HLB - no, sadly not. I have had to do an epoxy resin restock for my benchtops and boat repairs recently, our rather expensive "hi-fi" amplifier croaked at great expense, we have just had a new ktchen nstalled, and am currently rather short of loose money for "fripperies" ("non-essentials" - "What?! You want MORE paint?").

I have bookmarked the relevant Combat Company page (which is also open in a tab on the main computer), and will get to it at some stage n the hopefully not too distant future.

The way that I am gong at the moment (especially after a nasty bite from the table saw this morning - don't ask!) it will be months before I am able to get around to any sort of modelling. And it's far too hot in the shed for that sort of activity at the moment in any case: glue bottles, etc., would stick to the parts instantly. And painting would be right out.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 3

By the way, does Windex - the clear blue window-cleaning stuff, available at the supermarket(?) - no longer contain ammonia? Hmm, will have to check next time I'm there...

Most window cleaners contain ammonia, but there are some that are specifically ammonia free. It should specify on the label if it is ammonia free.

• Like 1