Tornado luftwaffe early service weapons

PhantomBigStu

Hi, Tempestfan.

I have also seen WaKo as "Komponente"; and it is not "abteilung" as I quoted but "ausbildung" as you say.

The "new" Airfix comes with some slabs molded into the outer ventral pylons; I wouldn't say they qualify. The old Harrier kit als came with four, intended for carrying "flares", and very indistinct in shape.

If you are referring to twin store carriers, the ones Very rarely used on Harriers (I believe they were earmarked for war use only) are a different type to the tornado Twin store carrier.

Selwyn

The retarders on the bombs pictured look like the US BSU-49.

Yes, because they technically are. :winkgrin: The french EU2 is a licence build of the Mk.82 that was produced and sold under their own brand and name by SAMP until they went bakrupt in 2011, hence the similar look

Hi Selwyn,

Yep, I didn't mean they were used at all, much less on Tornadoes. I was just compiling the kits I remember to include carriers of sich a kind.

The Revell kit acknowledges some difference in the ventral pylons, as the RAF box comes with some fairings to be added laterally which may well be intended to depict what you describe.

Fernando

Do Luftwaffe Tornados still use unguided free-fall bombs? I know that the RAF has gone to all guided munitions.

Yes they do. Some weeks ago, the Bundeswehr broadcasted a video about their JTACs practicing with Tornadoes providing CAS with 4 unguided 500 lbs retarded bombs each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBuMdkJF84

Edited by Westwind

looking at the photos looks to me like the shade I've chose for RAL6014 is well wrong, chosen revell 42, but looks much too light and greeny, also Fernando I was not referencing to the camouflage being boring, it was the lack of ordicance that was the issue, I don't find either the camo or the marineflieger one boring ;)

RoG give their #46 NATO-Oliv (available in both enamel and acrylic form) as a RAL6014 match.

HTH,

Andre

Hi, PhantomBS,

I used the Xtracrylics in a Norm 72 Phantom, which should have had the same colour, and it worked perfectly. Revell 42 is nearly identical. What are you using for Basaltgrau?

Nato-oliv 46 is much lighter; probably a colour for vehicles?

Fernando

Hi, Tempestfan.

I have also seen WaKo as "Komponente"; and it is not "abteilung" as I quoted but "ausbildung" as you say.

The "new" Airfix comes with some slabs molded into the outer ventral pylons; I wouldn't say they qualify. The old Harrier kit als came with four, intended for carrying "flares", and very indistinct in shape.

Yes, I had a look at a sprue shot after my post, and while I felt proud that there are some shapes meaning to represent the carriers, the integral approach by Airfix is less than satisfactory.

Perhaps only of Academic interest, but IIRC the Airfix Alpha also had the twin store carriers, and slightly more credible.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
9 hours ago, Marlin said:

Hi Murph. 

Left side I'd say.

/Bosse 

Thank you for the info and picture; I'll assume the right center station was probably available for special weapons too.

Regards,

Murph

17 hours ago, Marlin said:

You're welcome Murphy.

I'm also planning a Luftwaffe Tornado with a nuclear loadout.

But I'm going to use a third droptank instead of double nukes on mine. 

/Bosse 

I don't think there were too many strike missions (versus strategic missions) that called for two nukes due to range considerations.  From talking to people that actually sat Victor Alert the standard load was just one weapon, with the exception of the F-111 on occasion.

Regards,

Murph