2011 Spitfire GR.13.A FINISHED!

At the end of WW2, the big cheeses at the FAA and RAF were suitably impressed by the Hawker Typhoon in its CAS/ground attack role.
This got the FAA and RAF thinking:
- a future war was predictable
- with the advent of the jet-age would these fast jets be adequate at CAS
- CAS would be crucial in a future campaign.
In late 1947 a paper titled "CAS, what is it?" Was published, the MOD thought long and hard; and in 1950 they issued a GOR to Hawker and Supermarine stating: An adequate aircraft highly capable of CAS, ground attack,SEAD, low level penetration, no faster than 500mph, preferably a piston engined aircraft/turboprop and finally would have a very large range of available weapons.
After reading a pretty vague yet direct GOR, Hawker and Supermarine decided to collaberate on the project, they decided to modify the Spitfire and make a naval and airforce version. Supermarine worked on the aerodynamics and general flight charactaristics while Hawker worked on the attack characteristics.
In 1953 the Spitfire FGA.1 along with the Seafire FR.50 took to the skies for te first time together.
The plane was loved by the crews because it flew well, looked good and obliterated anything that was deamed a threat. It was praised so much by the RAF and FAA, that the USA bought 2 squadrons worth of FR.50's, but on a strict contract not to modify nor export the plane.
Thousands (literally) of the type were sold to export.
In 1980 however a new, bigger,badder version of the spitfire was created by BAC: the GR.1. There no longer was a dedicated naval/air force version, the new plane could even be embarked on HMS Invincible. Highly upgraded during its life, it served valiantly in the Falklands,first Gulf war and the Kosovo war. However in 2001 the whole Spitfire force was abruptly disbanded and decommissioned. No grounds for this early retirement was given to the FAA and RAF by the MOD.
Because of this, during op Telic the RAF and FAA screamed at the MOD for a replacement,none came. It took the Afhganistan conflict for the MOD to turn its head and issue a UOR. 1 year later, in 2007 the Spitfire was reborn rather publically at Le Bourget airshow, in the form of GR.13.A. It was another succes, export wise and troop wise. The USAF, rather envious of the new plane upgraded the A10C to A10D, an unofficial arms race is on between the Warthog and the Spitfire.

For the purposes of the GB, I will be building the plane from my unstarted Seafire FR.47 with various kit mods, most of these come from the kit itself and my cutter. For now I'm off on a much needed holiday. I don't know what colour scheme I'll be using so I'm open to any suggestions!
Chomp chomp
-raptor

Edited by raptormodeller
  • Like 6

Utter madness :thumbsup:

Thanks col! But lets look at the B-52 that came into service in 1955 and is expected to serve USAF until 2040-ish, that's NINETY years of service, suddenly my 21st century Spitfire whiff is a bit more plausible. Look at it this way: imagine the sopwith camel being retired from RAF service at the time of the Kosovo war! Amazing huh?

Chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 1

Agree wholeheartedly with you Raptor. The Skyraider is also a good example of long-term use in front-line service that perhaps relates more directly to your project.

One thing I've often though about is how aircraft have been called into longer service lives as designs progressed. During the First World War aircraft were being outclassed within months of reaching the front line. By the Second World War the pace of development was ramped up once more over that in the 20s and 30s but some designs did last the course - albeit with constant modification. The Jet Age may have precipitated another jump in pace but that soon stabilised and service lives are constantly stretching. With all this in mind I'm sure there's a place for your Super Spitfire in the modern RAF. Either that or Spiteful production needs to be initiated :lol:

• Like 1

2 words. Turbo. Prop. It works for the Tucano, and removes the need for high octane petrol on the flight line. Plus the weight and space savings as well as the considerable extra horsepower. Imagine a contraprop Spit with the twin stack exhausts of a Super Tucano...

(Drat, now I'm thinking about the possibilities...)

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion rob! Only one problem with that, I've already started the kit... The exhausts are already fitted, (i forgot to take photos of the spit' until after the fuselage/wing marry up if you are wondering). Also I'm not sure what mods I'd need to do this turbo-prop. I will look at pics from the tucano for inspiration.

Chomp chomp

-raptor

I've just spent a few minutes with a HobbyBoss Super Tuc and an Airfix Spit 22/24... my word, it's sexy. So close a fit it's as if Supermarine and Embraer had the same design team. If you're interested, I can do some photos, scans, whatever and send you the files to print and play with.

If you don't do this, I very well may (because I need more projects to never finish, yes indeed I do.)

Edit: Shows what happens when you talk through your hat... the Seafire 47's Griffon 88 has quite a few more herbs than the PWC PT-6 as used in the Tuc, but there are versions available which match the 2300hp of the Griffon 88. Food for thought.

It's also interesting to compare the airframe stats. (But I'm a bit geeky like that.)

• Like 1

Thank you for your help Rob, I'll try and remember that for a future GR.15 spitfire but sadly the spit' I'm doing for the GB is already well under way (as I said i forgot to take pics of the model in its early stage). I don't have the heart to chop off the front end and replace it with the nose of a kit I don't have. Still I'll keep that in mind.

Chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Photo update 1 (i forgot to take pictures of the build in its early stage).

IMG_5639_zpspjw2vvt1.jpg

The modifications you can see are: LERX, removed exhaust cowlings for better aerodynamics and 'natural cooling', new semi-bubble canopy, cockpit pressurisation/life support pod, ECM,chaff,flares and jamming pod (both sides) and a new tail arrangement.

IMG_5640_zpsfssmmlse.jpg

IMG_5495_zps5cvqlzn4.jpg

IMG_5486_zpsedozpy0q.jpg

IMG_5482_zpskzf5jfx8.jpg

That's it for today, I hope you like my not so epic photography skills!

:banghead::bounce:

chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Photo update 2, undercarriage is being painted and assembled and I've started figuring out where all my hardpoints are going to go using double-sided sticky-tape, anyway, here are the photos:

IMG_5660_zpswzlzjq0f.jpg

IMG_5657_zpsqrpnfipd.jpg

IMG_5662_zpskdfu9l2i.jpg

That's it for today, if you have any suggestions on improving the general positioning of the hardpoints they are more than welcome!

chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 3

Lets answer the questions:

1. The hardpoints: They are still in a very rough planning stage and I'm going to be modifying their position until I find a postion which i find pleasing.

2. The canopy: The canopy is supposed to open just like an F-35, in other words it opens just like most fighters (typhoon, tornado...) but in this case the hinges are at the front.

I hope these answers are the ones you were looking for!

Chomp chomp

-raptor

Lets answer the questions:

1. The hardpoints: They are still in a very rough planning stage and I'm going to be modifying their position until I find a postion which i find pleasing.

2. The canopy: The canopy is supposed to open just like an F-35, in other words it opens just like most fighters (typhoon, tornado...) but in this case the hinges are at the front.

I hope these answers are the ones you were looking for!

Chomp chomp

-raptor

It's clear you've thought this one through.

• 4 weeks later...

soo, photo update 3, I've been starting to paint my vast array of ordnance, part assembled my landing gear.... and that's about it!

Enjoy!

IMG_5740_zpsh6yytmhx.jpg

and my improvised bomb-painting production line! :banghead:

IMG_5743_zpssenefrol.jpg

Chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Photo update 4, filled and sanded the indents meant for the radiators and filled a rather large gap on the wings, added another scratch built 'sensor' to make the airframe look busy and gearing up for a the main paint job. The canopy was a pain to mask.... Anyway, here are the photos; enjoy! :winkgrin:

IMG_5768_zpslphpewsm.jpg

IMG_5769_zpswdvwxqbr.jpg

IMG_5770_zpsstizxqg2.jpg

IMG_5778_zpsha7cqmak.jpg

IMG_5780_zpsvydh6wbf.jpg

IMG_5779_zpsiv2k17yq.jpg

And another laser designator, I call it the 'Laser Triangulation Ordnance Guidance System', a laser on the edge of both wings and a third to be added on the fuselage:

IMG_5772_zpse36t0o6i.jpg

Hoping to get the main paint job done and dusted today so I can fit all the fiddly bits such as hardpoints without masking too much!

It's finally nearing completion! :yahoo:

Edited by raptormodeller
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your Spitfire GR.13A is looking really good. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model. Well done, Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update 5, No photos until the finished product, i'm keeping her secret :shutup::evil_laugh: .

Still a written update is not out of the question. She's painted in a randomised two-tone black and green paint job. The propellors are painted and I've decided to add minimal decals as it will be a special-forces aircraft. I'm going to finish painting all the ordnance and hardpoints soon.

chomp chomp

-raptor

• 2 weeks later...