Hi all,

I will give my Aeroclub Tiger Moth a go:

The main parts are limited run injection molded plus some thick etched brass parts for the struts and a nice set of decals but they do not include what I have in mind. I would like to do an over all Trainer Yellow RAF maschine - maybe with polished cowl. But not sure yet. A set of new stencil decals is the only extra I have (right now...):

TM01_zpsxc0kwnjk.jpg

I need to get another build done soon so progress on the Moth will be slow the next days. If anyone knows a Tiger Moth in RAF service in overal yellow please let me know ;-)

Rene

• Like 3

Welcome Rene, it's good to see an Aeroclub Tiger Moth....a lovely little kit but quite challenging. I'll look forward to seeing your progress. All of the DH82s used in S Rhodesia by fledgling RAF pilots were plain yellow if that's of any help.

Max

• Like 1

OK Rene, now that I'm home I've just checked a "Scale Aircraft Modelling" mag. from 1993 which was a Tiger Moth special. It includes 8 pages of drawings by Mike Keep showing a range of markings from the mid-thirties to the 1960s from around the world. It seems that all British-based Tiger Moths used by the RAF at EFTSs and the like during the war years were fully or partially camouflaged. The scheme shown in your drawing for L-6923 is quoted as being from No. 1 E&RTFTS in 1938. So it seems the only overall yellow wartime RAF Tiger Moths are as I mentioned in Rhodesia.

Max

• Like 1

Just a word of caution. Correct me If i am wrong, but I believe the pre war yellow Tigers did not have the anti spin strake so you may want to file the kit representations off. A simple piece surgery

• Like 1

Just a word of caution. Correct me If i am wrong, but I believe the pre war yellow Tigers did not have the anti spin strake so you may want to file the kit representations off. A simple piece surgery

You're right Paul. Some Tiger Moths were used in trials in 1940 as a light bomber, small bomb racks were fitted underneath the fuselage. This extra weight made it more difficult for the pilot to recover from a spin and these ugly strakes were fitted as a solution, Mod. 112 issued in December 1941 called for the fitting of anti-spin strakes. They then became adopted as a "safety feature" for many, but not all Tiger Moths despite the fact that the early planes had satisfactorily passed their spin trials.

Max

• Like 1

Hi Rene good luck with your build will watch with interest too.

Paul - Oh yes, Imagine a 1/24th TigerMoth, would be fantastic. We should all write to Airfix and ask for a 1/24 Gladiator too.

All the best

Chris

OMFG 1/24 Tiger Moth :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty: :Tasty:

• 1 month later...

Thanks Nick,

sorry for the delayin this topic. I had quite a lot of full size things to do (and still have...) like repairing my motorcycle, old car and stuff in and around the house. So my hobby time was more limited than expected.

I only started on the cockpit as shown below:

TM02_zpsg0xgdg13.jpg

Hope to get more stuff done from now.

Rene

• Like 1

Thanks all!

I finished my work on the cockpits (so far) and closed the fuselage. Once the clamps are removed I will need to do some sanding and painting before I can attach the Airwaves shoulder belts to really complete the cockpits.

TM03_zpsjoohbsi0.jpg

Now the interesting part starts: Attaching and aligning the wings etc.

Rene

Well done again Rene. Small improvements like opening out air intakes, thinning edges of panels etc make all the difference as far as I'm concerned.....excellent work.

Max