Fiat CR.42 Falco - Italeri 1/72

HI don't know why, the CR 42 seems to appears more frequently on fora than ever before. Who would complain as it is a beautiful plane, only Italians could have designed.

You have created a really gorgeous model of this icon and the paint work is flawless and jaw dropping. Great work!

Is this kit as nice and well engineered as the reviews say?

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Jean, is this some devilish irony or what? :D

no, it is not, sorry for stating the obvious, but these inbox, thanks-for-a-free-kit "reviews", are a purely fictional genre ;)

In most aspects it is worse than a mediocre shortrun. Wings are of a 70s quality, with thick trailing edge, trenches instead of scribing, and horrible fabric effect. Tailplanes and fuselage are only slightly better.

Struts don't fit at all. There are bizzare glitches like reversed propeller etc.

On the other hand, shape-wise it looks fairly accurate, engine is nice, so is cockpit, u/c legs etc. In a way it actually looks like it's sewn together from two kits of opposite quality. Wings are really a joke and they were a joke in 2006 (when the kit was issued iirc) none the less.

But hey, it's finished, I am proud to have it, moving on... it is certainly buildable without much effort and turns out nice. If you don't mind some issues, like geometry or surface looking like a diecast :)

Edited by pivokrevnik

Jean, is this some devilish irony or what? :D

no, it is not, sorry for stating the obvious, but these inbox, thanks-for-a-free-kit "reviews", are a purely fictional genre ;)

In most aspects it is worse than a mediocre shortrun.

Hi Pivo,

well, it won't be the first time kits have been reviewed by people who do not really know what they are supposed to look like and who will never build them!!! I was actually going to buy it at the first opportunity based on what I had read...

I guess for now I shall pass... although yours looks stunning, after a lot of hard work I suspect.

So no ironical comment on my side...

And a great job on yours.

JR

Hi Pivo,

well, it won't be the first time kits have been reviewed by people who do not really know what they are supposed to look like and who will never build them!!! I was actually going to buy it at the first opportunity based on what I had read...

I guess for now I shall pass... although yours looks stunning, after a lot of hard work I suspect.

So no ironical comment on my side...

And a great job on yours.

JR

I didn't want it to sound like I am showing off how hardcore modeller I am, sorry if I did. It doesn't need any extra modelling skills (which I lack anyway) to finish. It's just tedious and feels a bit masochistic - unless you need precisely a CR.42 for your collection (like I did), there are other 1/72 biplane kits which are much better and easier.

And actually, there is a way to make even this kit look perfect.

Put it next to an Italeri CR.32 Chirri :D :D

I didn't want it to sound like I am showing off how hardcore modeller I am, sorry if I did. It doesn't need any extra modelling skills (which I lack anyway) to finish. It's just tedious and feels a bit masochistic - unless you need precisely a CR.42 for your collection (like I did), there are other 1/72 biplane kits which are much better and easier.

And actually, there is a way to make even this kit look perfect.

Put it next to an Italeri CR.32 Chirri :D :D

I have the Supermodel CR.32, going back several decades...

Are we talking about the same kit Italeri would have re-boxed?

Please tell me it's not the same!

JR

I have the Supermodel CR.32, going back several decades...

Are we talking about the same kit Italeri would have re-boxed?

Please tell me it's not the same!

JR

well....more or less it is. there are some minor modifications, but the fabric effect on wings and the trench-like scribing on fuselage is completely the same ;)