1:144 Pan Am 747-121 Clipper Seven Seas

Danyel

As mentioned, this used to be my international ride. Broke as one could be, but flying first class around the world. ( Am in the travel biz ) I boarded a Pan Am 747 on 23 December 1988 for a flight to London and Frankfurt - the media were going wild at LAX interviewing anyone who would board a Pan Am international flight. As a South African I was ready to give them the "if it stops us living, they have won" speech, but somehow nobody harassed me for an on air comment. I was left to board ( First Class, smoking seat ) unmolested, and ended up in Greece on Christmas Day when the Acropolis was closed to tourists. ( New Years in Germany though - Silvester - is a blast ).

Still miss Pan Am

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have cut some plastic, hurrah!

Starting with the front landing gear. Here's what Revell supply:

IMG-20151112-01292_zpsmdsgmart.jpg

I have been spoiled by the excellent modern Airfix kits! Some of the molding and fit on this kit is going to be problematic.

Here is the fit of the landing gear.

IMG-20151112-01293_zpsn3wrp9dn.jpg

Really loose, so am going to have to do something about this.

Here is the difference in the size of the etched landing gear door vs. the aperture on the kit. Am going to have to change the size of the aperture.

IMG-20151114-01295_zpsnzrj7vfm.jpg

You can also see that I've drilled out the huge lump of plastic in the undercarriage bay and filled the hole with plasticard.

Here's the landing gear with the oversized bits and pieces removed. I've turned the front section into a foot which can be fixed securely when it's time to attach the undercarriage.

IMG-20151114-01297_zpszqvvdfwx.jpg

Here's the foot with the etched part in place. Covers it nicely:

IMG-20151114-01296_zpsoszgs489.jpg

Here's the component parts. You can see small holes on either side of the landing bay. I will insert the brass rod into these to create the struts:

IMG-20151114-01298_zpsfxhncczx.jpg

Slight modifications to the landing gear. I've attached 0.8mm plastic rod to create brackets and hinges to attach the etched parts onto:

IMG-20151117-01299_zps3mj7tmc0.jpg

I've also attached two pieces of rod to represent the hydraulic rams which turn the landing gear:

IMG-20151117-01300_zpsod4htmre.jpg

Am having a lot of fun with this :)

It is beginning to look like a representation of the front landing gear shown on the excellent pages by Lutz Gretschel

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/awa01/401-500/awa413-B747-400-Gretschel/00.shtm

Edited by Danyel

Hi Danyel,

I agree with Ray about the etch. Kit landing gear on these older moulds are often lacking detail but the Extratech sheet is very comprehensive isn't it!?

Just had a quick look over your posts so far and I noticed that your coroguard decals are for the Airfix 747. Might be worth checking they'll fit the Revell wings.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

I think judging by the photos that the etch doors may be a trifle too long. Before committing to some possibly unnecessary chopping, it may be a good idea to confirm how big the real doors are. Maybe someone at the Museum of Flight in Seattle can take a tape measure to their 747 for you?

• Like 1

Nice start Dan, :popcorn:

That etch will spruce things up nicely.

You're not wrong, Ray. It certainly has spruced it up :) There will also be three brass rods representing the three other struts. I am super pleased so far. Time to move onto the next set of undercarriages.

IMG-20151118-01303_zpsiafjrksc.jpg

IMG-20151118-01304_zpsxvrrtdsc.jpg

IMG-20151118-01305_zps8cpinjby.jpg

Hi Danyel,

I agree with Ray about the etch. Kit landing gear on these older moulds are often lacking detail but the Extratech sheet is very comprehensive isn't it!?

Just had a quick look over your posts so far and I noticed that your coroguard decals are for the Airfix 747. Might be worth checking they'll fit the Revell wings.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

Cheers,

Ian

It is a super etched set. Well spotted on the Airfix type decals, Ian. My plan is to trace the decals onto baking paper and offer them up to the aircraft. If they fit, great, if they don't I'll either cut/resize them or, if that doesn't work, paint the corogard panels.

I think judging by the photos that the etch doors may be a trifle too long. Before committing to some possibly unnecessary chopping, it may be a good idea to confirm how big the real doors are. Maybe someone at the Museum of Flight in Seattle can take a tape measure to their 747 for you?

I think you're probably right, Jessica. I've got a situation where I have to choose the lesser of two evils. The etched component isn't going to like being shortened. You see in this photo, that the door is made from two etched components. if I try to cut the etched parts the end fold will be removed and the internal panel (part 9 on the etched sheet) won't look right anymore. This is the first time I've worked with etch, so am not confident to chop the etch about. I'd rather have a door that looks right than an aperture that is right. I am going to disguise the larger aperture with hypothetical pipework, etc., particularly as the aperture is way too shallow.

IMG-20151118-01306_zpsyrgqegog.jpg

Thoughtful ideas though. Please do keep them coming :) This is my first airliner for 34 years. I need all of the advice, haha.

• Like 2