Here is the subject of my entry in the group build - a Royal Australian Navy trainer from 1954 - one of only three DH.82's operated by the Fleet Airm Arm at HMAS Albatross, Nowra. It had only a short naval career, being retired in 1958 and transferred to a private aeroclub. The silver and trainer yellow scheme looks quite fancy!

This will be built essentially out-of-the-box with no etch or resin but possibly a little scratch-building where needed. Decals are from southern sky models.

20150810_EM1_8100005-L.jpg

I've never built a biplane so have started practising my rigging before i get too far into the build. In the test below I used some fine monofilament, superglue, a 0.3mm drill and some baking soda to accelerate the glue setting. I tightened the rigging with a hot match head.

I have experience rigging scale wooden ships but find the monofilament and superglue actually more fiddly.

20150810_EM1_8100006-L.jpg

My progress on the kit itself has been to cut out the side doors from the cockpit, assemble the seats and give the whole lot a coat of interior green.

I also separated the rudder from the tail piece in order to simplify the painting. Both the cowl and rudder have been given a coat of yellow over a white Tamiya fine primer. I used Model Master Acryl paints for the first time for both colours and must say I'm very impressed. I thinned both colours with a drop of Liquitex flow aid and a few drops of fluid retarder and it sprayed beautifully - in fact the best experience I've ever had with acrylics of any sort.

Next steps are to touch up and close the fuselage and contemplate drilling holes for the rigging.

20150810_EM1_8100004-L.jpg

Cheers, Andrew

• Like 5

Hello Andrew, it's good to have you here as part of the GB. It looks like you are adopting a very logical and practical approach to building your Tiger Moth especially doing a practice with the rigging. Now that you have separated the rudder from the tail, when you glue it all together it's worth noting that there is a gap between the vertical tail section and the horizontal tail plane.

8c08ca2b995847b3a56267da3d447708_zpsik67

Good luck with the rest of your build. :)

Max.

• Like 2

Hello Andrew, it's good to have you here as part of the GB. It looks like you are adopting a very logical and practical approach to building your Tiger Moth especially doing a practice with the rigging. Now that you have separated the rudder from the tail, when you glue it all together it's worth noting that there is a gap between the vertical tail section and the horizontal tail plane.

Good luck with the rest of your build. :)

Max.

Thanks Max, I'll make sure to include the gap. The rigging will be interesting to tackle. I look forward to seeing how others address this.

Nice choice Andrew, not sure about the green interior, most were silver like the outside

Thanks Graeme, my reference photos of an admittedly restored aircraft show interior green on the folded out doors.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Tiger-Moth-A17-692/a17_692_Navy_Tiger_Moth_rich1991?full=1

I can also see some other RAAF airframes on ADF serials with silver too. I'm a little confused now but I might just stay with what I've got.

Thanks Graeme, my reference photos of an admittedly restored aircraft show interior green on the folded out doors.

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Tiger-Moth-A17-692/a17_692_Navy_Tiger_Moth_rich1991?full=1

I can also see some other RAAF airframes on ADF serials with silver too. I'm a little confused now but I might just stay with what I've got.

Yes the one on ADF Serials is actually a British built ex RNZAF that never served in the RAN, there doesn't seem to be any photos of the actual RAN ones at all so the restored one which the decal sheet represents is the way to go, sorry for confusion..

Basic rule of thumb on Australian Tigers, are if it was Australian built it had silver interior, if UK built it had green.

• Like 1

Yes the one on ADF Serials is actually a British built ex RNZAF that never served in the RAN, there doesn't seem to be any photos of the actual RAN ones at all so the restored one which the decal sheet represents is the way to go, sorry for confusion..

Basic rule of thumb on Australian Tigers, are if it was Australian built it had silver interior, if UK built it had green.

Every day's a school day! Thanks Graeme.

Thanks Graeme, that's handy to know.