Hello,Friends - This model is my very first loco build.( You experts will have already noticed that!). I enjoyed the change of subject and experience.I added a little 'crushed coal' to the cab floor.Hope you enjoy viewing.All the best,Paul.

image.jpg17_zpswp9vpd4s.jpg

image.jpg16_zpsaw9oxspl.jpg

image.jpg20_zpsitybzqd0.jpg

image.jpg18_zpsa3jwq0cp.jpg

• Like 5

Love it!

Rick.

Hello,Rick - Thank you very much for your kind reply.Much appreciated and respected.To be honest,I only built this model for a change of subject and a bit of fun.It didn't disappoint on that score.I Iove aviation but I also have a fond interest in railways!All the very best,Paul.

I remember this in it's blister-pack, in that lurid yellow. Tiny thing when built, but a fascinating subject.

Nice finish, Bet it was fun covering all that yellow plastic, only to have to paint it again later....

(& we ALL know how much 'fun' getting a good yellow coat of paint is!) :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You gonna try the other Airfix trains?

• Like 1

In recent years the yellow colour for the Rocket has worried me. What yellow pigments were available in 1820? Did they have chrome yellow or was it just yellow ochre's? What evidence do we have that it was even painted yellow at all? The replica locomotive 'Planet' at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester was a descendent of Rocket and its wood (Boiler, tender and wheel centres) is just varnished and when newly finished could be described as being 'yellow' or at least that would be the paint used by any contemporary illustrator when trying to depict a wood finish.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

In recent years the yellow colour for the Rocket has worried me. What yellow pigments were available in 1820? Did they have chrome yellow or was it just yellow ochre's? What evidence do we have that it was even painted yellow at all? The replica locomotive 'Planet' at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester was a descendent of Rocket and its wood (Boiler, tender and wheel centres) is just varnished and when newly finished could be described as being 'yellow' or at least that would be the paint used by any contemporary illustrator when trying to depict a wood finish.

Just a thought.

True - but don't forget Rocket and its competitiors would have been in pristine (external!) condition as they were in competition - the Stephensons were maybe just more skilled in the selling of the product - so shininess and general appearance of the loco would not have been neglected during the trials.

Later locos would certainly have had a more sobre livery - that would not show the dirt so much..

Interesting point about the yellowness - but this was a copy of the mail coaches (horse-drawn) - so pretty sure yellow was not unknown as a livery.

• Like 1