Airfix 1/72 Vulcan XJ824

Hi everyone,

Here is my latest attempt at the very old Airfix Vulcan. This particular aircraft is now residing at the IWM Duxford, just up the road from me. Build thread should be here if anyones interested:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975800-airfix-172-vulcan/

I wanted to build one with it's bomb bay open so the only option was to scratch build it which was a first for me at this level of complexity but I'm happy with the outcome. I also sanded off all the raised panel lines and rescribed... a very laborious job!

I used the Freightdog 202 jet pipes and Fundekal decals set (beware, nose roundels provided in the set are to small in diameter).

Painted with Xtracolor enamels and various bits of brass microtube, plasticard, lead wire, mv lenses and turned brass bits.

Once again many thanks for all the technical help provided by various members, particularly that of Robvulcan's.

Cheers gazza l

017_zpsybldc5ti.jpg

020_zpsvustvpww.jpg

021_zpsgshhqzju.jpg

022_zpszxw6mgck.jpg

023_zpsggdlbxvh.jpg

024_zpsy4bhys0x.jpg

025_zpsoo3krvjt.jpg

026_zps452rs4he.jpg

Next to one I made many years ago.

028_zpsdz8zj56d.jpg

• Like 71

I am still struggling to believe this is that old Airfix Vulcan and in 1/72 scale. I'd swear it was a scale larger and a newer tooling just from these pictures. Done the old girl proud in every sense of the word.

Hello,Gazza1 - Congratulations on a beautiful build of of your Vulcan.Fantastic effort and result.101 Sqn. Would be more than happy to have her on their ramp! All the best,Paul.

FINALLY a Vulcan that is NOT XH558! lovely stuff, very well done and the fact it's of a different serial makes it the more interesting. Thank you for going your own way. Nice job fella. Also nice to see me local Vulcan in 72nd scale.

Marc

Built it when it came out...and it didn't look like that!

I'd consider giving it another go now, but I still think it wouldn't look anything like that!

Top marks!