1/48th Royal Danish Air Force RF-84G complete

G’day folks.
Latest off the bench for me is Tamiya’s 1/48 F-84G converted to a Royal Danish Air Force RF-84G using the MADS resin set.
I wanted to build something other than a NMF Thunderjet as they are not often seen. Some brief research and I found that the Danes flew them in their regular guise as well as a reconnaissance platform. A bit more research revealed that Hi-Decal did the markings and MADS did the tank. I think the RAF temperate grey/green over PRU blue got it over the line.
The MADS resin set consists of a replacement port tank in the way of a T-33 Fletcher photo recon tank and a vertical camera housing. I believe it was the French that came up with the idea of loading an oblique camera into the T-33 tank of which a few nations followed with the same idea. Located behind the nose gear bay, the vertical camera resulted in the battery being relocated to a different part of the fuselage.
Photos of these aircraft have been hard to come by and for that reason some educated assumptions have been made regarding stencils and the finish of the aircraft. The colour of the emerald green is probably the most dubious part as that can be interpreted many different ways. I had a few issues with the Hi-Decal markings namely the tip tank lightning bolts which ended up being masked and painted after the fragile decal fell apart into several pieces.
In summary…
RF-84G Thunderjet, Reconnaissance Flight, 729th Squadron, Royal Danish Air Force; Karup AFB, spring 1957.
Tamiya 1/48 F-84G - Item 61060
MADS 1/48 F-84G Thunderjet Recce Pod - Item M.Access 004
Quickboost 1/48 F-84G Ejection Seat with safety belts - Item QB 48-493
Hi-Decal 1/48 F-84G Decals - Item HDL 48017
Cutting Edge and Tamiya kit stencils
Gunze acrylic and lacquer paints - (Custom PRU blue)
To the pics…
Cheers,
Mick
RDAF%20RF-84G%201%20of%2010_zpsy278yiap.
RDAF%20RF-84G%2010%20of%2010_zpstebcsm8p
RDAF%20RF-84G%202%20of%2010_zpsuauepkyq.
RDAF%20RF-84G%203%20of%2010_zpsjsulg1lo.
RDAF%20RF-84G%204%20of%2010_zpsfinra1iu.
RDAF%20RF-84G%205%20of%2010_zpsanb8mbwi.
RDAF%20RF-84G%206%20of%2010_zps3hrv1zvu.
RDAF%20RF-84G%207%20of%2010_zpsmuqqjskz.
RDAF%20RF-84G%208%20of%2010_zps3gujmyem.
RDAF%20RF-84G%209%20of%2010_zps5tiespou.
  • Like 23

That's a very nice F-84 with subtle weathering.

Also a not much seen variation, which is what I like, as you might know.

Sorry to hear the Hi Decals gave you trouble. I will never use them again. Too bad because the have very nice subjects.

René

• Like 1

What a lovely model and wearing my favourite Thunderjet colour scheme too. Sorry to hear about the decals, especially as I`d bought the same decals to do the same aircraft too!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

OH now that is nice! Really really nice, in fact its better than nice, it's St Tropez!

Glorious modelling sir, and the subject matter gives a very different look to a well known aircraft. Canopy masking is noted too - god thats clean!!

Top effort Sir!

Jonners with a Hats & Hussars all round

• Like 1

That's a very nice F-84 with subtle weathering.

Also a not much seen variation, which is what I like, as you might know.

Sorry to hear the Hi Decals gave you trouble. I will never use them again. Too bad because the have very nice subjects.

René

Hi René. I should probably clarify that the rest of the decals performed well with the tip tank being the main problem. I think that due to the shape of the decal and the surface it needed to be applied to was the problem. Diego was kind enough to contact me and send a replacement sheet AND the Cutting Edge stencils. His generosity is something I didn't mention in the original post that perhaps I should have. He's always keen to hear customer feedback.

Amazing! Especially the cinkchromate Color is nice. May I ask from wich Company it is?

Hi Andy,

The yellow chromates is from the Mr Color line of lacquer paint. I can't tell you the number at the moment but thinned appropriately the paint sprays beautifully. Th rest of the paint are Gunze Acrylics however rather than thinning with their dental alcohol thinner I use the Mr Color lacquer thinner. I find the paint dries much faster and the finish is far hardier than paint thinned with the regular acrylic thinner.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Mick

OH now that is nice! Really really nice, in fact its better than nice, it's St Tropez!

Glorious modelling sir, and the subject matter gives a very different look to a well known aircraft. Canopy masking is noted too - god thats clean!!

Top effort Sir!

Jonners with a Hats & Hussars all round

Cheers Jonners. I've not been to St Tropez but I've heard it's a nice spot! The canopy is masked with the bulletproof Eduard masks for this kit. Glad you like it.

Cheer 'n' beers,

Mick

Good Morning Sir,

Thanks for the Information. I think I saw this Color line from Gunze. So I know what you mean. They are always sold out at my dealer.

Now I know why. Looking forward to see your Phantom finished!!

Have a nice sunday

Best regards

Andy

• Like 1