A VC Winners Hurricane

Fine work with the airbrush and a fine looking model! Have you any better shots of your pilot? 'm not surprised you chose to model Flt. Lt. Nicholson's Hurricane, what an incredible brave man! I'm off to learn more about this engagement and his well deserved award.

• Like 1

Fine work with the airbrush and a fine looking model! Have you any better shots of your pilot? 'm not surprised you chose to model Flt. Lt. Nicholson's Hurricane, what an incredible brave man! I'm off to learn more about this engagement and his well deserved award.

Thank you! I never took any close up photos of the pilot. Hopefully my model will do him justice!

8386fdfebba6778a4a8356ccf3a93680_zpsuhi1

Decals are on. They were fine, like most of Airfix modern decals. I will give them another coat of microsol.

It's still looking very glossy, I plan on put some matt varnish down once I've got it all together. I might buy some, the only stuff I have got it the Vallejo matt. I have heard good things about it, when I tried it though I sprayed it and it came out cloudy. Any ideas anyone?

• Like 5

DAG I've been using Vallejo Matt from the RAF and Luftwaffe sets without any problems, spraying at 15psi with a .4mm nozzle. It's hard to see as it comes out and if you coat too heavily it can look milky but it dries OK - have a look at my WiPs / BoB gallery entries and see what you think :)

• Like 1

DAG I've been using Vallejo Matt from the RAF and Luftwaffe sets without any problems, spraying at 15psi with a .4mm nozzle. It's hard to see as it comes out and if you coat too heavily it can look milky but it dries OK - have a look at my WiPs / BoB gallery entries and see what you think :)

When I did it before I tried it with 0.2mm at a slightly higher psi. I've recently started doing gloss varnish with 0.4mm so I will give it a blast with that. I think I maybe put it on a bit thick. Thanks for your help!

Nice work DAG, Much better than my go at the same AC. On the home stretch now

Rob

I've just had a look at your thread, it looks great, I like your weathering! That's the part I hate, I can never seem to get it right.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm calling this one done.

I tried to put some matt varnish down, it did what I expected and went cloudy! Luckily I managed to strip it off and save it. I'm just going to keep it as it is, save this build dragging on forever as it was supposed to be a quick build.

60feea87acaa4eed93d8e77c04e54add_zps9thm

a7ba177c0209d9406772dac6238ae60b_zpss7pg

aa2bdc9b990585e7003648cb5b903fad_zpsjqvi

350e4e3c2259c035e6329e419df54bc7_zpsn7ho

• Like 2

Looks great. Very well done.

Regards to matt coat... Have you tried Winsor & Newton Galeria matt varnish? It's without doubt the best I've ever used. Before that I always used citadel 'purity seal' and had many a model ruined by it fogging up / crazing

• Like 1

Super result DAG, that's a beautifully finished Hurricane. :goodjob:

I'll second the W&N varnish, I've just started using it myself and

it's great stuff.

Sean

• Like 1

It's an acrylic medium, and best applied with a soft brush, in thin coats. I use a Daler &Rowney brush.

I find it takes a couple of days to dry properly, but it does give a nice flat finish,

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks, i will certainly give it a try! Do you use a flat brush? And roughly what sort of size would be best?

Whilst in the subject of varnish, what gloss do you find is best, and how do you apply it? I've been using Vallejo again, airbrushed with a 0.4mm nozzle. It's not too bad, I can never seem to get that perfect glass finish though.

I use a no6 Flat Shader for the W&N, then just wash the brush out with water.

I'll use Klear or Humbrol Glosscote for glossing, but find the Humbrol a bit temperamental,

especially if my modelling room is a bit chilly

Sean