Royal Navy 1/48 Sea King has 6 - 819 squadron circa 1996 - XV711 ( Navy 709)

• 5 weeks later...

HI,

After attending the Scale Model Show 2015 at Edinburgh last weekend and admiring all of the displays, I decided to replace the block of mahogany and replace it with a deck. Bought a blank MDF base and after marking it out and drilling out the lashing points, I simply hand painted it and weathered it up slightly. The whole thing was then sealed using some clear varnish, which also provides some friction, to stop the model sliding off when moved.

The deck is based on a photo I have of a mark 6 sitting on the deck of RFA Fort Victoria. Glad to see the pilot is lined up on the bum line :winkgrin:

20150909_111827_zpsb1f7c0xd.jpg

Also replaced the cotton thread HF aerial with one made from stretched sprue.

20150909_111813_zps9rm9thfd.jpg

20150909_111849_zpsvkq2esbd.jpg

Happy Modelling :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Must have missed your original post, it turned out very nice in the end. I do like all the extra details around the outside, they really bring it to life. All it needs now is a couple of strapping, handsome maintainers lashing her down! :winkgrin:

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Mark you really did get the Sea King 'look' bang on

It was a brilliant WIP and there's no doubt the finished model would fly out of the shops if they used pictures of it to sell 'em

Thanks for sharing the beauty with us, great modelling

b

• Like 1

Cheers folks..it was fun in the end but £50 just for a base kit now might mean a dark blue mark 5 is some time away. Going back to a 1:72 scale just wouldn't be the same, although the soon to be released airfix mk 4 may be tempting. Thanks again..all comments appreciated

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Just back from the Scale Scotland 2016 show at Edinburgh Airport ( Hilton hotel) and for the first time ever, I entered my Sea King into the competition and achieved runner up !!! ... well chuffed

DSC_0253_zpsjuk31dki.jpg

The worthy winner and superb craftsman was Andrezej Ziober with his Polish Mi-6, not only first in the category but overall senior winner for the event as well as the winner of best in show. Methinks he is going to have to purchase extra baggage allowance to take his trophies & prizes back home. Excuse the picture quality but even the case it was in was a work of art :yikes:

20160903_161651_zpsbag6ckfp.jpg

His aircraft was huge.. to give you an idea it was 1:72 scale and dwarfed the other 1:48 scale helicopters next to it.

20160903_104542_zpsqehslex6.jpg

I'm sure this model will be doing the rounds of various competitions in the future and if you get a chance, you should see it in the flesh, as it were. If not , here is the link to a website that features his work

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/ziober.htm

A great show overall however there may be a change of venue for next year, I would suspect due to its popularity and outgrowing the Hilton. Well done Scale Scotland, a great show, well run and good fun. Didn't add to my stash but spent a small fortune on some new tools and paints etc.. :mental:

Edited by MarkdipXV711
  • Like 1