Bf 109E-3, JG 52 Karl Wolff, 1/48 Eduard - ** FINISHED **

Hey guys, i would like to join this GB if you do not mind :) At first i thought it ll be the new Airfix Hurricane, but i think it is time to build kits from stash finaly... ;) So it is going to be Bf 109E-3, nicely made by Eduard. The camo ll be the JG52 machine of Karl Wolff with nice white nose, tail and wing tips.

The 109 ll be build as a birthday gift as well so i have 3weeks for it to be finished, so i ll add only the most needed details. I m still thinking if i ll open the engine or not - first, it would need some more detailing, as out of box the engine would be somehow poor. And second, i chosed this camo mainly for the white nose, which makes the plane look somehow elegant.. and with the uncovered engine this white detail would be gone.. so i ll see yet.. :)

Anyway, some quick start with the cockpit. Added realy only a bit of wires and two or three boxes and some placards (from PE sheet made for US aircrafts, but you cant read the text on it anyway.. :D ). I did mainly upgraded the "cage" around the bomb on right side of cockpit, as in the kit it is moulded all together and looks weird - i did split it to two parts, the cage and the valve, then hollowed out the cage and drilled the holes and made some bomb from plastic rod. After that i glued the valve on top of the bomb and added some hoses and plumbing from wires and plastic rods. Then it was only just painting, weathering and i think it is ready to go now :)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg
Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 5

Hi Wolwe. Good to see you in this GB. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one. It's looking up to your usual lovely standard so far! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Huh, these were some realy busy days.. :) But i managed to find a bit of time for modelling - and as i said, the bf 109 is ment to be built as a birthday gift aaaand that means i need to finish it before friday.. To make it better yet, wed + thu i m working night shifts, which means there wont be much time.. So it is going to be a close call..

Because of this rush i was just building, building and building and did not have much time to make posts here, so some progress in few shots :)

surfacer stage

004.jpg

aaaand painting stage - base camo is on, painting german cross marks with homemade masks

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

applied decals for rest of markings + some stencils

008.jpg

I ll do some fading later with oil paints (not too hard weathering this time), but i did some postshading and panel enhancing with airbrush anyway

010.jpg

Aaand quite overdone filters on fuselage.. damn.. :(

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Painted and weathered exhaust tubes

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

I have painted the small bits as well, tomorrow i should go on with the oil fading and hopefuly at thursday i should complete the model together :)

• Like 6

Thanks guys :)

Amazing results in such a short time! What colours did you use for the exhaust? They look great.

Cheers, Peter

Peter for the exhaust i was using this way :

- base paint was aluminium, in this case alclad (but i think gunmetal or steel would work better next time)

- next layer of rust colour, here i was using warious colours from Ammo of mig jimenez set "rust effect colors", medium, dark and old rust, airbrushed soft patches of these iregullary, to give it some variation

- rub the surface with medium-stiff brush gently, this removed the rust paint on the edges here and there

- then i used clear blue on some areas (some areas i have left in pure aluminium or only just "dusted" by the rust for this purpose) to give some exhausts the blue-ish hue

- as last i used some tamiya flat black (because tamiya paints are realy super flat, but the ammo mig colours are also nicely flat, if you have black of these) to paint the "inside" of the exhaust pipes

I m not exactly happy with the result, but it was done in few minutes and thats what i needed :)

That looks a very nice paint job, have you got stencils for the crosses of did you just mask free hand?

Ozzy for the crosses i found this working the best for me :

- make cross from tamiya tape, using the cross from decals as a size clue

- put this tape cross on the wing/fuselage

- now cut from the tape small pieces with 90 degree edge (at least one) and put this precissely cut pieces (well, sometimes were not so precisse.. :) ) to corners

- next put just stripes of tape around the cross to define the bottom/tp/left/right end

- remove the tape cross from inside now, carefuly so you can use it again on another side of wing/fuselage

- mask as much of the aircraft as you need to not get overspray (important mainly for the white, better more then less, trust me :) )

- spray black paint inside

- let it dry, now uset two stripes of tamiya tape (you take the width from decals again) to make the inner black cross

- next use some tamiya tape stripes to mask the black outline (as i was realy in a hurry i was going "by eye", but if i had more time, i would be more precisse)

- now spray the white, carefuly, do not flood it !!(this is for any work with masks - you do not want to flood it, or the paint can get under the tape and you ll have to repair it, which can be realy tricky), so go just with soft dusty layers and build it up slowly.

- now remove the masks and you are there :)

• Like 2

Ozzy for the crosses i found this working the best for me :

- make cross from tamiya tape, using the cross from decals as a size clue

- put this tape cross on the wing/fuselage

- now cut from the tape small pieces with 90 degree edge (at least one) and put this precissely cut pieces (well, sometimes were not so precisse.. :) ) to corners

- next put just stripes of tape around the cross to define the bottom/tp/left/right end

- remove the tape cross from inside now, carefuly so you can use it again on another side of wing/fuselage

- mask as much of the aircraft as you need to not get overspray (important mainly for the white, better more then less, trust me :) )

- spray black paint inside

- let it dry, now uset two stripes of tamiya tape (you take the width from decals again) to make the inner black cross

- next use some tamiya tape stripes to mask the black outline (as i was realy in a hurry i was going "by eye", but if i had more time, i would be more precisse)

- now spray the white, carefuly, do not flood it !!(this is for any work with masks - you do not want to flood it, or the paint can get under the tape and you ll have to repair it, which can be realy tricky), so go just with soft dusty layers and build it up slowly.

- now remove the masks and you are there :)

Thanks I will give this a go on my next Luftwaffe kit, I wish I had done this with the HS126 as the transfers were a bit of a nightmare.

• Like 1

Great Ozzy, i would recommend few things if i may yet

- protect the camo colours with some varnish (for me acrylic satin it is for this stage)

- do not use fresh tape, stick it few times to some clean surface, to remove a bit of the glue - these two steps helps you reduce the chances the tape will remove the base paint

- try to practice it on some old kit or just some piece of plastic first, you ll see it pays off later :)

• Like 1

Great Ozzy, i would recommend few things if i may yet

- protect the camo colours with some varnish (for me acrylic satin it is for this stage)

- do not use fresh tape, stick it few times to some clean surface, to remove a bit of the glue - these two steps helps you reduce the chances the tape will remove the base paint

- try to practice it on some old kit or just some piece of plastic first, you ll see it pays off later :)

Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

Hey guys, i have finished the Bf 109E before weekend, but i did not have time to post some shots till now :) So i hope you ll enjoy her :)

023.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

032.jpg

A lot more shots are in the RFI :)http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234987829-bf-109e-3-jg-52-karl-wolff-148-eduard-pic-heavy-;/

Thanks a lot for watching and for all the support guys :) cheers

• Like 4

Thanks Paulo :)

As for the machine guns, i have sadly lost these - during the preparation phase i have accidentaly pushed on them too hard and they got loosen inside to the engine area.. :(

And sweet holy tomato, you are right.. what a fail from me, not removing the masking tape from the lower windows... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I was finising the model on night shifts at work, all the oils weathering is done there and final completing.. and the masks removing.. sigh.. :( the damage has been done.. thumbs up for you noticing it though :) i have already gave the kit away (it was birthday gift), so i m pretty sure about the nightmares i m going to have tonight.. :(:ninja:

I only saw this in the gallery, so came back to the WIP. What a great job, I particularly like the way you have weathered the white nose.

I think you can be forgiven for forgetting to remove two small triangles of masking as you were doing this in the middle of the night.

Regards

John

• Like 1