Boulton Paul Defiant Mk 1 No 264 Squadron

Next up I thought I would try a technique picked up from one of our BM colleagues (apologies I can't recall who but thank you for the concept). I blew up the plans to the right size and used these to create masks.

C80667F7-6E7B-4E73-9FEF-78974D843233_zps

And applied to the model after a coat of Vallejo Model Air Dark Green 16.

9726071E-589D-426D-9191-0E18BDF4263A_zps

The net effect....

95A145BE-E67F-4ED7-9356-528EAFACABF6_zps

Edited by Davek72
  • Like 1

Now it may be me but the contrast between the Dark Earth and Dark Green doesn't look quite right and I suspect the Dark Earth may be too dark. I have seen comments about Vallejo colours not being accurate and this may be an example of that. I converted the Humbrol colour references using the 'official' Vallejo conversion chart but hey ho. Anyway after some thought I have concluded I am going to live with it rather that mask and paint again. All comments very welcome. Dave

Looks nice Dave, very nice :)

I've used the template scaling technique (copying Fatboydim (Joe) on his Defiant) twice now - great tip eh?

I've also had the same thoughts about the VMA colours on my Dambuster and Stew suggested a better match but I've just left it... perhaps it's my 'Humbrol memory'...

Looks nice Dave, very nice :)

I've used the template scaling technique (copying Fatboydim (Joe) on his Defiant) twice now - great tip eh?

I've also had the same thoughts about the VMA colours on my Dambuster and Stew suggested a better match but I've just left it... perhaps it's my 'Humbrol memory'...

Absolutely. It works wonders on flat surfaces slightly more tricky on the fuselage. Thanks for the heads up on the threads I really should have paid more attention to your build sorry

Never seen the template scaling technique before - seems much easier than the blu-tack method!

Hi Ragtag. Yes it is a top method but see my comment above to Ced. In reality I think a mixture of the template and blue tac works wonders....although there are some interesting threads on BM regarding some kind of magic putty I will try to find the links... Edited by Davek72
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Somehow 2 months have gone by with hardly an hour at the workbench...ok I was on holiday for 2 weeks and work has been busy but where has the time gone...feeling slightly depressed....

Anyway I have got back to the Defiant and am determined to get it finished by the end of the group build.

So to update....

1. I masked and painted the canopy. All went well.

2. I finished off the prop and the undercarriage paintwork.

3. I sealed the paintwork with a coat of Vallejo gloss.

4. Decals went on very easily with just a small amount of microsol to assist.

5. Another coat of gloss on and experimented with a watercolour wash.

6. I added the undercarriage and prop.

7. I added the wing lights...oh bigger can't find them anywhere...they must be on the workbench somewhere....doh

Photos to follow very shortly.

Dave

• Like 1

Rats. I only asked because I often 'tidied' my sprues and threw them out with parts on. Now I save them until the end of the build... sometimes.

It'll have to be 'scratched' from a piece of sprue then... I'd have no idea where to start! :)

Ok I have effectively finished albeit still minus the wing lights (still can't find the annoying things). I will try to scratch build them in due course but given the build closes tonight I think I better call this build done(ish). I don't think it would be right for me to upload to the ready for inspection section (unless told otherwise). Anyway thank you to everyone for their comments and help.

Dave

36C7DEE6-19DB-44E3-911B-D367CCBBE92A_zps

93B9EE02-F608-46E0-A780-C1219EED7BFC_zps

4A610E8E-E6AA-436B-B5FC-883A0887C86E_zps

• Like 2

Dave, put some pics in the gallery if you get time - it is effectively finished and you can always swap the pictures out later when the wing lights are done. It would be a shame not to get it in the gallery in the meantime.

Cheers,

Stew

Great work Dave and well done on finishing. The paint job on the crew is excellent.

Pity about the wing lights but maybe you could try this tip on using sellotape instead?

Cheers,

Dermot

Dermot. Thank you for your comments and the link. It's a great suggestion and I will definitely go with the tape option.

D

Dave, put some pics in the gallery if you get time - it is effectively finished and you can always swap the pictures out later when the wing lights are done. It would be a shame not to get it in the gallery in the meantime.

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. Appreciated.

D