Persian Audax (1941) confusion

JWM

Hi,

I am doing now Persian Audax, intending to do in WWII markings from short war during Soviet-British invasion of Persia in 1941.

The main question is about details of painting scheme. There is classic painting scheme published in Profile publication on Audax (I have both profiles from net, so I hope I can them here):

Hawker%2020Audax205view%20iran_zpsqpjevy .The same machine is subject of painting scheme in Kora Miidels resin kit:

hawker%20audax%20KORA72141A_zps4ullee0u.

There are important deifferences between them (starting from the blue or sand band on fuselage, position of numbers, wing tips on upper wing etc, shade of blue etc...) The profile on Audax is much older and for sure must be known to people from Kora - so is suggests that their re-impretation of painting scheme in newer and thus perhaps better. Some detail work against it - the cowling in Kora model is like in Nisr or Hart B4 whereas in Persian Audaxies, since they originaly were equipped in US engines they got cowlings leter, during re-equipment to Bristol engines and were deeper (almost no collector is seen from the side). So it is better done in Profile publication. On the other hand they have skid not tail wheel (plus for Kora). They have also wind electric generator on starboard (opposide to MG) - omitted on both profiles....

My second question is about bombs used in Persia in 1941. It is said, that Persian Audaxes were attacking military columns of Brittish army. I expect that it was done with some bombs. On box art of Kora model Audax carry (or rather just droping) four bombs (50 kg?). On photos which I have found in net the provisons for bomb racks is seen, but nothing about the bomb themselves.

Cam anybody answer my questions? Or perhaps just comment, please...

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

EDIT

P.S.

Here is nice photo showing different Towdend ring cowling:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MY/MY73-7/55-1.jpg

and here is wind genarator seen:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MY/MY73-7/54-1.jpg

And here a line of Furies is described as Audaxies

http://www.whq-forum.de/invisionboard/lofiversion/index.php?t27915-1400.html:)

And here another two photos showing deeper cowlings and one shot of model of Audax described as photo of real things - but Fury....

A lot of confusions there :)

Edited by JWM

The Persian Audax's were delivered as two separate batches (Hornet and Bristol). The ring on the Bristol engines is not in this case a collector ring, but a Townend ring. The collector is the ring at the front around the crank case.

John

• Like 1

Thank you Robertr and John for comments. John, I appreciete you input but we are agree from the begining here. it was clear to me that collector is the small ring on front of engine and no collector in Towdend ring in both cases. Perhaps I am using not properly the term "Towdend ring" for the aerodynamic ring around the cylinders in radial engine. What I wanted to say was that in Persian Audax the shape of this ring in definitly digfferent from that of Hart B4 or Nisr, where at side view the almost wole collector ring is seen in front of engine, whereas in case of Persian Audax this colector is almost totaly obscured in side view by much longer (deeper) ring. This difference is not noticed in Kora kit.

Cheers

Jerrzy-Wojtek

Jerrzy

You are quite right in that the more common, narrow chord Townend ring does not appear to have been fitted to the Persian Pegasus Audax's which have a longer chord Townend ring fitted. I'm not able to comment more on why as info and photos of the Persian Audax's are very rare.

John

• Like 1

I suggest that the longer Townend ring, if that is a correct term for it, is an intermediate Bristol development perhaps based on the NACA work? What you see is the external shape curved forward to reduce the intake area. Once past this opening the air will expand and thus cool, improving the overall cooling as well as improving the external flow. The next stage of this development was for Bristol to use the bulbous shape inside this cowl to "double up" as the exhaust collector ring, further cleaning up the flow around the engine and thus improving cooling and drag. This is the familiar form seen on Mercury-engine aircraft, and others.

Possibly this was a genuine intermediate development, or possibly just a fudge allowing a superior shape to be fitted to an earlier-standard engine still with the collector ring wrapped around the crankcase. I suspect it may have been referred to as a NACA cowl, although this usually also implies a cowling going further aft and better faired into the forward fuselage.

• Like 1

Thank you John and Graham for your comments. The shape of this cowling recalls me the shape of cowling of also Bristol driven Czechoslvak Letov S-328, therefore initialy I even suspected that Persian Audaxes were driven by a icence build Czech (Walter) Bristol engines.

I found photo of bomb and shape of bomb racks used in Persian Audax - this is in Profile Publication on Audax. It is good to look to some old book sometime :)

I am working now on upper wing assembly. Ughhh...

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

This photo seems to support some of the features shown in the Profile Pubs interpretation of the scheme:

Pic-1-Iranian-Hawker-Fury-no.-482.jpg

Hadn't seen it before. It came from this website where the aircraft is incorrectly identified as a Hawker Fury.

Interesting that the profile shows a blue cowling and tail. Given how close the tone is to the green of the fin flash, I'd have gone with that as the colour...but, as always, divining actual colours from a monochrome image is hard even when there's good documentation of the scheme. For esoteric subjects like Persian Audaxes and Furies, it's almost impossible.

Anyhooo...HTH.

Cheers,
Mark

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 1

Thank you Mark for your comment. However - I have feeling that this photo is in fact a prepared photo of model... Very nicly done, but model - somehow I have this feeling....

Cheers

J-W

Do not worry Mark, be happy :)

Cheers

J-W

EDIT: P.S.

On right side of Persian Audax there is something what looked for me like a support for removed wind elctricity generator. But now I start to doubt and do not know what it moght be:

audax%20persia%2055-2%20mag_zpseb2doqpx.

Edited by JWM

J

It is the bracket to mount the torpedo shaped generator You can just see it on page 9 of the Profile. I support entirely what Graham said regarding the later Townend ring. I was hoping to find some hard info but I have not as yet found it.

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...