A Flight of Fanciful Fairey Fireflies: FR.1 & TT.4

You guys are too much. But, it keeps the post count high and makes me feel important! :)

So, somewhere in this thread there is a model or two being built. On the TT.4, I painted up the tyres and added them to the landing gear. I didn't use the kit parts here, but rather invested in some resin aftermarket from Barracuda (BR72222). Even if I wanted to use the kit parts, which are also resin, I couldn't because one of them was buggered up with debris in one of the four spoke holes in the wheel. Besides, I like the tread pattern better on the Barracuda tyres.

100_6819

Some other things to notice in the preceding photo - the catapult hooks were added to the lower side of the forward fuselage (near the inner edge of the radiator opening). I tried to compose the photo so that you could just see one of the hooks. I also added the lower radiator flaps, staging them in a partially open position (you can see the port flap in the photo). The arresting hook and tailwheel doors have been added in the back, and all that canopy masking was removed. I still need to clean up some of the edges of the canopy framing - the Montex masks worked OK overall, but there are a couple of spots where the paint got where it shouldn't. That's one of the nice things about dipping the canopy in Future prior to painting the frames - errant paint can be removed with White Spirit which doesn't damage the Future.

The front landing gear doors had sections of the under-wing code transfers applied, and the doors were then added to the model. In the photo, you can see the small bits of the number "4" on the doors. I was a bit worried after I mounted the doors to the model, as I thought perhaps my alignment of the transfers was off - they sure don't look lined up to each other in that photo, do they! But then I found this picture which just so happens to also be a "4" on the two landing gear doors. I guess I had it right the first time! :)

PP604

I mentioned previously that I painted the stripes on the lower wings, and that I didn't end up with a lot of stripes. I did a lot of measuring, surveying, geometry, trigonometry, whatever you want to call it - and the end result (especially if you look at the box art) is pretty good. Here is the box art:

100_6639

Here are my wings (along with the drop tanks and winch components):

100_6818

The biggest difference between the box art and the model is that the transfers for the codes are larger than what is depicted on the box art. Accordingly, I had to adjust the stripes to allow for that. There actually should be a very small portion of an additional stripe on the outer starboard wing, going by the placement scheme of yellow are being twice the width of the stripe. But it is so close to the edge that it would literally just be a sliver in the corner by the navigation light. None of the actual Firefly target tugs that I have photos of show any stripe out there. So if the FAA didn't bother with it, neither am I!

In any event, I did a "dry run" with the tanks, roundels and codes in their proper places and everything fits. Phew!

Now I'm off to apply the transfers and try to devise a plan for mounting that winch. The brackets supplied by Special Hobby are photoetch, and they just look evil. Very fiddly indeed. One looks like a "W" and two look like a "V." And, of course, they have to stand up. Hmmm.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

That TT looks bloody fabulous Bill,.......I`m with you about the wheels too,...those Barracuda treaded wheels are the bee`s knee`s and I have some filchered away for myself!

Cheers

Tonyi

• Like 1

Looks good Bill.

One suggestion, the rad flaps are thermostatically operated when in "Auto" or can be selected

fully open in "Open"

They are usually kept in Auto unless the thermostat dies and would be fully closed when on the ground

or partially open if the aircraft is still warm. Either way yours are a bit too far open, the actuator doesn't

have that much travel. :)

• Like 1

Bill, this TT4 looks a real stunner! :clap: I particularly like the yellow parts, excellent job there! And the more I look at that weathered NMF the more I like it! :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

On 1/24/2016 at 05:11, NAVY870 said:

Looks good Bill.

One suggestion, the rad flaps are thermostatically operated when in "Auto" or can be selected

fully open in "Open"

They are usually kept in Auto unless the thermostat dies and would be fully closed when on the ground

or partially open if the aircraft is still warm. Either way yours are a bit too far open, the actuator doesn't

have that much travel. :)

Thanks mate. Like most Special Hobby instruction booklets, there's scant advice on how to position the part. Easy fix! I'll close them a bit.

Cheers,

Bill

Blimey thats looking pin-sharp now Bill.....My hat's off to you sir, I couldn't have masked that in a month of sundays! :worthy:

I was trying to figure out a way to describe the TT, and 'pin-sharp', that's perfect. Every line, drop of paint, and bit of plastic in its exact right place.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2016 at 13:10, Cookenbacher said:

...Every line, drop of paint, and bit of plastic in its exact right place.

If that's true, it's because all of my Britmodeller mates have been guiding me on the righteous and proper path...and educating me in all things Firefly along the way! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Bill, that TT just looks wonderful. I spent ages trying to work out what was going on on the leading edge of the wings, before realising it was masking tape over the nav lights. D'oh!

Great stuff.

• Like 1

Well, wasn't that a fun way to spend an afternoon - infinitesimally small photoetch brackets intended to support the winch. Somehow I have this feeling that it ain't gonna work! :)

However, being the slave to Special Hobby kit instructions that I am, I added the tiny photoetch pieces. I drilled a somewhat less tiny hole in the model first, so that it has something to grip to (like I did with the antennae forest on the sides of my Beaufort). Have a look:

100_6822

Here's a look from the bottom:

100_6823

I'm letting these guys cure nice and good before I try to add the winch pod and spool (what do you call those things anyway?) Also, even though it's not entirely authentic, I'm thinking of adding some triangulation to these brackets, using spare photoetch, to give them more strength. We'll see. What do you guys and gals think?

Wings are all transferred up:

100_6825

100_6826

The gap between the "V" and "G97" is for the drop tank, and it test fits quite nicely. The only problem I had with the transfers was the under-wing roundel on the port side. The demarcation line between the yellow and black stripe was clearly visible in the white of the roundel - ouch! Decal transparency strikes again. I fixed it by adding another roundel on top of the first one. Now you can't see it. This, of course, meant I was down one roundel for a full set, so I had to go to the spares box to get a matching set for the top of the wings.

The wings have yet to be weathered and varnished. I expect the wings will be the last thing added to the model.

I think I'm going to quit for today, as there is a bottle of single malt that has been calling me all day. I think it's time we got together - besides, I need some encouragement for tomorrow. I have to report to my oncologist at 9:00 AM sharp so he can have a look at a "lump" I've discovered. Most likely nothing, but with my history all such things get looked at rather closely.

Cheers,

Lumpy

• Like 17

Those mounts do look scarily thin don't they.....Is the part you are hanging from them resin or styrene? In the former case I'd say no chance, for the latter, just maybe. :mellow:

FWIW.....I'm sure wiser heads than mine will be along with a solution in no time. :coolio:

• Like 1

On 1/24/2016 at 20:02, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Those mounts do look scarily thin don't they.....Is the part you are hanging from them resin or styrene? In the former case I'd say no chance, for the latter, just maybe. :mellow:

FWIW.....I'm sure wiser heads than mine will be along with a solution in no time. :coolio:

The hanging parts are styrene and don't weigh more than a gnat's eyelash. I will say this about the photoetch mounts - whatever other problem they might have, they do seem to be in scale. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Firstly, good luck with the doctors tomorrow, let us know how you get on.

I think you might get away with those brackets but be prepared to re-make them from brass rod, especially if the model has to do much in the way of travelling to shows and club meetings.

That said, the whole thing looks extremely impressive, especially the detail on the underside.

Martin

• Like 1

Good luck with your appointment Bill, as you say probably nothing. This looks better ever time I see it, superb work. Just makes me want to crack on with the Barra' but for the ever growing list of dreaded deadlines I see before me....hope the prescription single malt performed it's duty with all due honour.

• Like 1