A Flight of Fanciful Fairey Fireflies: FR.1 & TT.4

Just spent a few days leisurely reading this thread while time permitted. Fantastic couple of builds, and if you need volunteers to help liberate the aircraft, I'm in. Can't go around keeping these poor creatures out of their natural environment... ;)

• Like 1

I don`t know whether this will help Bill but I have a photo of Firefly TT.4, VG993/043 from the FRU at Hurne in 1957;

Firefly%20TT.4%20VG993-043%20FRU%20Hurn%

I wouldn`t pay much attention to the size of the underwing codes on VH127 at the FAAM,.....it was repainted from its TT colours during the 60`s or 70`s. The old PP Aeroparts Firefly 4/5 kit included this TT.4 as a decal option and it was very similar to VG993 seen above,

Baseball,......isn`t that really Softball? Cricket is a good excuse to have a snooze in the sunshine.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5

I don`t know whether this will help Bill but I have a photo of Firefly TT.4, VG993/043 from the FRU at Hurne in 1957;

Firefly%20TT.4%20VG993-043%20FRU%20Hurn%

I wouldn`t pay much attention to the size of the underwing codes on VH127 at the FAAM,.....it was repainted from its TT colours during the 60`s or 70`s. The old PP Aeroparts Firefly 4/5 kit included this TT.4 as a decal option and it was very similar to VG993 seen above,

Baseball,......isn`t that really Softball? Cricket is a good excuse to have a snooze in the sunshine.

Cheers

Tony

sunshine?! You must be watching the cricket while we are on tour.... Abroad

Rob

• Like 1

Don't forget the obligatory ale to go with it!

Martin

• Like 1

Cricket is a good excuse to have a snooze in the sunshine.

Don't forget the obligatory ale to go with it!

So baseball is just like Cricket!

I'm trying figure out my part in the Firefly caper heist. I could be the guy in the van that hacks into the security system. All I would need is a van, and to learn how to hack into security systems.

The Firefly does fit perfectly with those other late piston engine fighters that just look so tough, and where the fighter and attack bomber roles seemed to merge.

• Like 3

From a somewhat faded memory (haven't started one since 1983)

Assuming wings spread and locked, flaps up.

1. Ground/Flight switch to Flight (we'll use the battery today)

2. Fuel cock to "main tank"

3.Generator circuit breakers in

4. Throttle cracked 1/2 inch

5. Blower to "mod"

6. Prop lever fully forward

7. Carb air to cold

8.Check carb pressure light on

9. Boost pump on, make sure you can hear it running.

10.The book says hold the prime pump switch for 5 seconds but we know that's a load of

bovine excrement so hold the switch until the carb pressure light goes out.

11. Index a cartridge.

12. Switch on both mags

13. Press and hold the starter switch ( fires the cartridge and energizes the booster coil)

14. Keep squirting the prime pump until the big sod decides to behave itself.

Remember no more than 2 pounds of boost for ground runs and keep an eye on the radiator temps

And always keep the stick in your guts!

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 6

5. Blower to "mod"

7. Carb air to cold

10.The book says hold the prime pump switch for 5 seconds but we know that's a load of

11. Index a cartridge.

12. Switch on both mags

13. Press and hold the starter switch ( fires the cartridge and energizes the booster coil)

Remember no more than 2 pounds of boost for ground runs and keep an eye on the radiator temps

Don`t forget to add fuel first! Imagine sneaking in,....pushing it out onto the pan and then realising that somebody had forgotten the fuel!

This planned heist has me thinking of the film `one of our dinosaurs is missing' but substitute a Diplodocus (now Patasaurus I think?) on the back of a lorry going through London for a folded Firefly on a lorry driving around rural Somerset!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

On 1/23/2016 at 10:10, Beard said:

The Brontosaurus may be Brontosaurus again.

Have a look here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32205289

(Edited to insert link)

Yup, two different species. I wish those dinosaur hunters would get their heads straight.

You know, I've only been away for a few days, and you guys have put together a plan to purloin not only the Firefly, but also a Diplodocus! And parade them through the center of London just for good measure. I really wish I wasn't on the other side of the Atlantic, because I think it would be one heck of a good drunk out on the town with you guys.

And speaking of the model (hump? what hump?) I should have some new photos today. The stripes are on the bottom of the wings, and it was a lot of masking for very little stripe! Once the codes and roundels go on, though, the entire bottom surface will look pretty busy.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

On 1/23/2016 at 06:49, NAVY870 said:

5. Blower to "mod"

7. Carb air to cold

11. Index a cartridge.

12. Switch on both mags

That's all just from your memory? Wow - must be all that good Australian beer keeps your mind sharp. I struggle sometimes remembering how to start my car, and all I have to do is push one button! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Ok; so Tony Breaks into Yeovilton, Steve starts the thing up and Debs flies it away for us. Where are we going to hide the thing as I can't help but feel that some one is going to notice it is missing sooner or later?

Martin

Ok; so Tony Breaks into Yeovilton, Steve starts the thing up and Debs flies it away for us. Where are we going to hide the thing as I can't help but feel that some one is going to notice it is missing sooner or later?

Martin

Bring it to Buenos Aires... I have friends in the airport police, as long as you don't stuff it full of anything illegal, no one will question the plane itself.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2016 at 12:57, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Nigel's miniaturising gun. Simples.

I was wondering how we were going to take off from the museum. I can't imagine that the corridor from the display area down to the loos is long enough for the Firefly's take-off roll! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Simples, the back wall of the museum has two large double sliding doors that open onto the airfield itself. It must be how they roll airframes out for Airday. A friend and I were once co-opted by the director of the museum into helping unload the wings for the Albacore when they were delivered as they were short on manpower. I was going to say we were press ganged but as we all know, in my case that would be an utter lie!

Martin

• Like 2