A Flight of Fanciful Fairey Fireflies: FR.1 & TT.4

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! My wife's eye surgery was successful and made a significant improvement in her vision. We'll let this heal for a few weeks and then see if a new eyeglass prescription might improve it still further.

Unfortunately, my dad's dog passed away the day before Christmas. Little gal was 18 years old, so she led a good doggie life!

Cheers,

Bill

Excellent news on SWMBO's surgery, first of all. Keep us posted, please?

18 is a good age. However, if you love 'em, 18 is nowhere like long enough... I've had cats that have lived into their 20s, and it still wasn't long enough. Hope your dad's coping.

Regarding the model - it's gorgeous, of course :). I can't help regarding the details, but I'm sure someone will soon enough.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2015 at 22:01, Sten Ekedahl said:

Looking very good so far! But aren't the cannons still missing?

Thanks - the cannons are still in the paint shop. Good eye, mate! :)

On 12/30/2015 at 00:01, John Laidlaw said:

Excellent news on SWMBO's surgery, first of all. Keep us posted, please?

18 is a good age. However, if you love 'em, 18 is nowhere like long enough... I've had cats that have lived into their 20s, and it still wasn't long enough. Hope your dad's coping.

Regarding the model - it's gorgeous, of course :). I can't help regarding the details, but I'm sure someone will soon enough.

Thanks - my dad is taking it a little rougher than he should, but we lost my mom back in 2004 so the dog had been his companion. My dad will be 87 in another month, so I don't think a new puppy is a good idea, but perhaps a retired service dog might be. Best to let things settle down first.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

It doesn't matter how old they are and how much your head knows they won't live as long as you, losing a dog is always devastating - all the more so when you are on your own, I expect.

Great to hear that the surgery went well, though.

...and the FR1 looks superb (if temporarily a little toothless, as Sten has already pointed out).

• Like 2

Great news about Mrs Bill's surgery. There is indeed a cable that runs from the fuselage to the ASH pod, if only I could remember where I saw the drawing of the thing.

Martin

• Like 1

On 12/30/2015 at 12:38, martin hale said:

There is indeed a cable that runs from the fuselage to the ASH pod, if only I could remember where I saw the drawing of the thing.

A wiring harness I suppose? I'll keep looking for photos that give me an idea of where the cable ingresses and egresses, or vice versa. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Great work bill! Glad the surgery went well for your wife, please pass on my best, as well as my sorrow for your dads loss, I remember losing both my dogs which we had from childhood.

Also I hope you are keeping well

Rob

• Like 1

Well, lucked out again! :coolio:

I was able to repair the damage where the yellow paint lifted off of the primer. Here are a few photos that show the progress. You'll notice that some of the canopy masks have been removed - I wouldn't normally do that at this stage, but for some reason a few of the Montex masks curled up and would no longer stick down. There are some that I need to remove, and then I'll make new masks out of Kabuki tape for the remainder of the build.

100_6796

I really like the way the carburettor intake came out - you may recall that Special Hobby left this rather significant feature off of the model entirely, so I scabbed an intake onto the bottom of the forward fuselage using thin styrene card stock and a whole bunch of putty. I think it looks quite dapper! :)

100_6798

Another prominent feature that SH forgot are the vanes inside of the radiator intakes. I'll make these out of styrene stock as well, but I'll paint them before I slide them in. They have to be yellow on the bottom half, and aluminum (HSS) on the top, and I figured that would be easier to paint before assembly.

To give the model some contrast, I'm planning on using a different metallic shade for the wheel wells and the wing fold mechanicals. The landing gear struts will be painted yellow.

I'm also going to go ahead and give the entire model a few coats of Future to help minimise the risk of the yellow paint lifting again when I paint the black stripes on the bottom. I have no clue if this will actually make any difference, but hey, it's floor wax right? We walk on this stuff all day long and it doesn't crack, so it must be strong. It can't hurt (I hope!). :)

The final overcoat will be a satin finish to make the aluminum look more like paint and less like natural metal. First, though, I need to go add the navigation and landing lights to the wings.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18

On 1/3/2016 at 05:13, NAVY870 said:

Apologies Bill the plans are is such poor condition the only thing I could do

was photograph the interesting bits.

<snip>

Great stuff, Steve! Thanks so much - these drawings agree quite nicely with the Special Hobby painting diagram. I'll bet that's unusual! :)

I also received the following information from Canberra Kid when I was building my Sea Vixen TT. The stripes in the Firefly drawing also seem to conform with the guidance contained in this document, as well it should. I make particular note of the "datum" stripe, which must intersect the centreline of the port fuselage roundel. If you extend the stripe on the bottom that covers part of the arresting hook, you'll see that it does just that.

Paint4Paint3

With all of this in hand, I think I can move forward with painting the stripes. Sorry for the lack of activity here, but I came down with a flu-bug of some sort on New Year's Eve, and I've been rather sick since then. Things look to be improving somewhat now, so perhaps I can get back to the bench soon.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hi mates,

After measuring and scaling the drawings so nicely provided by Steve, along with some trigonometric triangle calculations, I've come to the conclusion that the black stripes are 36 inches wide and the distance from the leading edge of one stripe to the leading edge of the next stripe is 9 feet. That means the yellow area in-between the stripes is twice as wide as the stripe itself. The stripes are angled at 30 degrees from the longitudinal axis of the fuselage (60 degrees from the lateral axis). All of this conforms to the written instructions as well.

So! I've painted the black stripes onto the bottom of the fuselage according to those dimensions, and they match Steve's drawings precisely - which in my 1:72 scale world means to about a millimeter or so. This time, I had only two minor paint lifts - two tiny spots of yellow (that I've fixed with a brush) and then some aluminum off the trailing edge of the rudder (which will require the airbrush). I'm flummoxed by these paint lifts, as I really can't remember the last time I've had that happen. What did I do wrong, or at least different from previous builds? Nothing that I can think of - other then using Testors paints (the yellow). I hate to blame the paint though, it must be something that I did wrong. :(

I used Gunze H77 Tire Black for the stripes in hope that the serial code decals will be visible in the areas they're applied over the stripe. The H77 seems very black, though, and I expect my hope will be dashed.

I'll post some photos as soon as I fix the rudder damage and paint the wheel wells and landing gear. Stay tuned - thanks!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Feeling better - finally! :)

• Like 7

All right then, I promised some photos of "ze stripes!" as applied to the underbelly of the Firefly TT.4 (sans wings). So here we go!

100_6800

100_6799

The Gunze H77 Tire Black (sic) seems much blacker than I recall from my youth. I was anticipating a very dark warm grey, the colour of, well, tyres! There's little chance the black in the serial codes will differentiate from the stripe. Oh well, I sure as 'eck ain't gonna mask that off again! :)

The wheel wells were brush painted with Floquil Old Silver (sounds like an after shave) and Testors RLM04 Yellow. They still need a wash and some dirt and grime. There are also two flaps/covers that hinge at the forward edge of the lower radiator openings. These seem to be open in most of the pictures - Special Hobby included these with the kit, but I prefer to make some new ones out of thinner card stock.

Hey, how about Testors discontinuing about half their remaining line of paint colours? Let's see, they killed Floquil, Pactra, and Pollyscale, and now they're whittling away at their own brand. I predict, since they're primarily a supplier to the US hobby industry, what will remain will be automotive, and US military colours for modern and WWII. Why? Because I think that's what they sell in the US. It's pretty easy at the LHS to see which bottles are dusty in the rack and which ones aren't.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 15

Crikey, that is (as per usual) some of the neatest, cleanest work I've ever seen. Beautiful. I wish I could approach that standard... but at least it gives something to aim for :D.

I wish I understood Testors. They've killed off some of the best paint lines ever (and Floquil Old Silver - what were they thinking???), so I can only assume they're headed the way of PlastiKote. Silly sods.

• Like 1

Looks really good Bill, although I still would have liked to see you take a punt on the stripes in the wheel wells but that's just me being my evil sadistic self! :evil_laugh:

As for Testors, it sounds like they have pushed the self destruct button. If modellers can't get what they need then they will simply go elsewhere, probably never to return, regardless of what Testors might try to lure them back. Silly sods!

Martin

• Like 2

Bill that painting is brilliant and is why I always love to watch your builds

I agree about the Firefly lads, the later version is by far. My favourite piston engined naval aircraft

Even better than the Sea Fury TBH

Enjoying these two, thanks Bill

• Like 1