A Flight of Fanciful Fairey Fireflies: FR.1 & TT.4

Hope you both had a great time Bill, (hard to imagine you didn't !)......short pants and muscle T's...conjures up a pretty picture ! Never could understand the version of rounders you chaps have out there, seems to involve a lot of looking about, gum chewing, adjusting of caps and thrashing at thin air, (talking of which our cricket team leaves me scratching the old noggin).

As for the Fairey fairy, she never turns up when you need her, (went MIA during my Hendon build).......if you do happen across her kindly ask if she wouldn't mind nipping over here to sort out the Barras wing fold mech while I'm away for a few days......

• Like 2

Well, I still haven't had a visit from the Fairey Fairy, but I've finished the outer wing details - for now.

I have four small PE brackets to add to each wing, but I don't want to do that until the wings are all painted up pretty. I have a finite supply of these tiny little buggers (thought: don't I have a finite supply of everything?) and don't want to have them go zing! across my studio. I am also putting off adding the wing hinges until I have the matching set added to the wing roots. I *think* it will be easier to align the hinges to give a proper angle to the dangle that way. The position and angle(s) of the outer wings when folded are very unique and I suspect that a jig will need to be built. (Note: take Lego sets away when the grand-kids are not watching.)

100_6731

So, I've set these aside and reached for the single malt. Er, no, wait a minute, my granddaughter is here - I've reached for the lemonade and taken a short break. Next up are the details on the outboard and aft sides of the wing roots. There are some seams to fill and clean up on the wing roots and fuselage proper first.

Ta for now,

Bill

• Like 20

Hi mates!

I had a chance to do some model building today! I spent the last few days getting things prepared for winter including five new triple pane windows. Triple "pain" is more like it - I know nothing about windows. Just give me a model and let somebody else do the windows. The installer had a fun time taking out the 36 year old windows and putting in the new energy efficient units (I feel warmer already!), but he did a great job. :)

On the modelling front, I moved over to the inboard wing segments (the parts that don't fold) and did some detailing there. Mind you, there is no attempt to achieve any degree of accuracy here, but if I can create the "mood" of a Firefly then I'm happy.

"Look at that model, dear - doesn't that make you feel like a Firefly? How lovely!"

100_6732

100_6734

100_6733

100_6735

As is usual with 1:72 scale projects, the model looks much better in real life than it does in these photos, which are magnified quite a bit. So the sloppy workmanship you see is the fault of the camera, not Der Modeller. :)

Once we have a few coats of paint on and maybe a wash or two followed by some pastels, I think this will do the job. It would have been a bit easier if one of the aftermarket guys did all of this for me, but there you go. I still need to build the actual hinge parts, and maybe a few more tiny details.

Man, that Firefly mood is wafting all around my studio right now - you can hardly even smell the open bottle of Mr. Color thinner.

The Mrs. is throwing another party tonight, so I have to put on my butler uniform and go tend to the guests. Ta for now!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

Looking good Bill...the camera can be a little cruel at times, especially when it adds that dreaded special effect called 'dust'. hope the shindig went orf well !

It would have been a bit easier if one of the aftermarket guys did all of this for me, but there you go.

Now where's the fun in that, I ask you ? (it's what single malt was invented for !)

• Like 1

Great job so far Bill,......those wing folds are devine! I second what Martin said,........I`m glad that you are feeling well enough to do some modelling,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 10/23/2015 at 18:01, Fritag said:

Sloppy workmanship?

Bill you are the epitome of a neat craftsman and if anyone's work survives macro photography it's yours.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I think what gnaws at me about the macro photos is that they make the details look overscale...which they are of course, but to the naked eye they don't look so bad. Oh well, I'm the photographer too, so I guess I should just back off a bit so the magnification is less! :)

On 10/23/2015 at 18:18, CedB said:

What he said ^^. Certainly creates the '"mood" of a Firefly' for me. :)

Good news! Hopefully it's not overpowering any moods that you're trying to create a the moment!

On 10/24/2015 at 00:49, NAVY870 said:

Done good.

Thanks - couldn't have done it without you! Maybe I should mark the TT as VX388 in your honour? I wonder if I have enough spare sticker bits to do that...

On 10/24/2015 at 05:26, general melchett said:

Now where's the fun in that, I ask you ? (it's what single malt was invented for !)

Agreed! Join me in a toast to the White Styrene Appreciation Consortium! :)

On 10/24/2015 at 11:46, Hamden said:

More stunning work. Those wing folds look great!

Thanks, Roger. Later on in this build, attaching the folding bits to the non-folding bits will be a challenge, I'm sure!

On 10/24/2015 at 13:11, David H said:

I always enjoy the updates, Bill!!

Me too - I only wish I could make them more often. I'm such a slacker!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

It's so funny you consider your workmanship sloppy in any respect, its a sign I would say of the standard you set yourself... Very much higher than my own! But we all need something to aim for right??

Your work on the wing folds are really outstanding.

Great work

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks, mates! Back to the FR.1 for a bit. I'd like to get some paint on this beastie but I have to finish a few things on it first. So, let's start with those wingtip navigation lights. I previously hacked out a big chunk of styrene where the light goes, now I need to put the light in.

Following the same plan I used for my Beaufort, I first hacked a chunk off of a clear plastic picnic knife (my doctor doesn't let me have anything sharp), sanded two adjacent edges so that it would fit the hole in the wingtip, drilled a 0.6mm hole to represent the lamp (it's not a bulb; you put those in the ground and grow tulips), painted the inside of the hole with the appropriate colour (Gunze Clear Red for the port light, Clear Green for starboard), and then used my super ultra Made in Germany CA adhesive to attach it to the wing. The starboard side looks like so at this point:

100_6736

Yikes! I don't think that's aerodynamic enough. I grabbed a bunch of sanding sticks and filed away for what seemed like, I don't know, minutes I guess. That got me to this point:

100_6737

Closer, but it's a bit foggy, eh? Next I got out the Micro Mesh pads and wet-sanded using (in order) 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 "grits." At that point, the lights are pretty shiny!

100_6738

This is an easy trick to do, and I think it gives a much better representation of the navigation lights than just painting them on, especially when there is a big lens like this. The landing light in the leading edge of the wing will require a different technique, and I'll get to that after some paint goes down.

Well, that's it for today's installment. Back to the workbench!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 13

...drilled a 0.6mm hole to represent the lamp (it's not a bulb; you put those in the ground and grow tulips)

Made me laugh aloud. Thanks. Though I am getting a few strange glances in the cafe where I am drinking tea...

• Like 1

Thanks for posting an ancient, but useful modeling technique. You hear it talked about a lot, but nobody ever provides pictures.

Until Now!!! :)

2 thinks to add, if i may. First, this method usually results in almost no "frosting" of the clear part if you are bonding it onto the wing with CA (ask me how i know this). Second, if you don't have a range of finer sandpaper grits going all the way up to eleventy-billion, after the model is painted you can remove the masking from the lenses, mask off the preimeter with Tamiya Tape and polish the lenses with a cotton T-shirt and toothpaste.

Makes the lenses clear, and minty fresh!!

-d-

PS: Looks aerodynamic enough to me!!

Edited by David H